cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

1TheBlueWii1
Adept I

RX 6000 series flickering OpenGL apps on Windows 10 (Blender, SUPERHOT)

I own an MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6800.

Here's a video demonstrating my issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PnPuBRX5k

On Windows 10, I am getting a weird flickering issue in Blender and SUPERHOT.
In Blender, this can be seen when in Edit Mode and Weight Paint Mode, when the Viewport Shading is in Solid Mode and Material Preview Mode. Video shows what it looks like in Edit mode. Imgur images show both Edit Mode and Weight Paint Mode.
SUPERHOT's models flicker. Enemies flicker slightly, and the weapons you hold is very noticable.

Interesting part is that this issue does NOT happen in Linux. (Linux Mint 20.1) With a working driver, I do not run into the same issue in Blender and SUPERHOT. So something is up with the Windows OpenGL driver for RDNA2.

The flickering also doesn't happen on my older RX 580.

AMD's email support has not been helpful. I sent a ticket back in February, and another one yesterday as a continuation.  They closed the ticket I just opened with the response saying that I should 'install the latest 21.4.1 driver with a DDU cleanup'... which I already said in the ticket before I got that response. I started the ticket with "Just recently I did a clean DDU install of the latest 21.4.1 driver. This STILL does NOT fix my issue."

I have done so many DDU reinstalls for the past 3 months with every new driver release, hoping it would fix the issue.

Anyone else has this problem!?! Is there a workaround???

https://imgur.com/a/IEWY1WS

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6800 16GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X 8c 16t @ 3.6GHz (PBO disabled)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE AB350N Gaming Wifi

BIOS Version: F50e (AGESA 1.0.0.6)

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX C16 3200MHz (Set at C18 2800MHz in BIOS)

PSU: 750 Watt Corsair RM 750x

Storage: 2 x 1TB Sandisk PLUS SSDs + WD Blue 256GB M.2 (Win10 Boot) + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (Linux Boot)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 ITX Case

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro 19042.928 + Linux Mint 20.1 w/ Kernel 5.11

GPU Drivers: Win10: AMD Radeon Software - 21.4.1 | Linux Mint: AMDGPU 20.45 + Mesa 21rc Oibaf PPA

Chipset Drivers: AMD B350 Chipset Driver 2.13.27.501

Background Applications: Discord, Chrome, Steam, Spotify, Oculus, Avast

1 Solution

As of Radeon Software 21.12.1, the flickering on Blender is no longer present.

Just did a DDU uninstall, then reinstalled an older driver for comparison, then updated to the latest. And it indeed does fix the issue.

SUPERHOT still has this flickering issue on Windows as of this post. Reminder that the game (and Blender for some time) does NOT flicker on Linux with a working driver.

However, I will mark this post as the solution since Blender was the biggest issue for me.

Once again, I thank everyone here who shared thier experiences and help bring attention to this issue!

View solution in original post

11 Replies
winkelchri
Journeyman III

Hi @1TheBlueWii1 ,

I'm having exact the same issue (6900xt). Thank you for creating this detailed video which shows it quite detailed.

Would be awesome to get some feedback from AMD here.

Hi! I also want to thank you to document this problem. Im suffering the same problem with blender. The viewport is flickering and its real hard to work with. I try to use Radeon Pro renderer and it also keep crashing Blender. 

My computer specs are below:

Win 10

RX 6800 XT

Ryzen 9 3900x

32 gb Ram

21.6.2 Radeon Software version.

Can someone at AMD suggest some workaround?

bug.PNG

average_amd_user
Journeyman III

Same issue on Windows 10 in Blender with RX 6800 XT. Since the release of the GPU models flicker in edit, paint and sculpt modes. Thanks for explaining everything in detail.

Issue didn't occur on GTX 970.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the posts. We've passed feedback onto the driver team for investigation. 

It's about time, this problem is around ever since i got my RX 6800 Xt... (more then 8 month)  I also keep mailing with techsupport more then 2 month from now. They only copy paste answer for me to refresh driver, bios etc... Finaly last week i contacted a guy at techsupport who finaly understand the problem. Its great to see someone finaly look after this issue.

Came back after so long to see what has been said. Glad someone from AMD is looking into this!

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences too! I pray we get a fix/solution soon.

Hi! I also like to thank you again your very detailed documentation about the problem. I shared your expericences (this forum link) in Blender developer forum: (Blender link)  where they also try to find solution for our problem. I keep mailing with AMD tech support about 3 month from now, and tried every solution what they suggest. So far without any result. I hope AMD and Blender developers cooperate to indentify the solution. 

Dear Fellow AMD card holders!

I got an answer today from tech support:

"Good day to you!

Our engineering team has successfully re-produced your issue in certain cases and are currently working on your issue.

I will come back to you as soon as I have more updates.

Thank you for your patience and understanding."

I hope we will see some solution for our problem soon.

Cheers

Hey Guys!

I tested Blender with the the new amd Beta driver  and, finaly it worked for me. Go check it out. 

Asaob_0-1637004149870.png

Regards:

Peter

Holy moly!

Just tried out this driver. This indeed does fix the issue in Blender! Despite it being made for Blender 3.0, I'm still using Blender 2.92 and the flickering is no more! 

After that, I was hoping it would somehow fix the same issue in SUPERHOT. Unfortunately, still flickering there...

However, this is still big. Thanks for the update @Asaob ! Even if the issue isn't fixed for SUPERHOT, I'll mark this as solved once there's an official driver release.

As of Radeon Software 21.12.1, the flickering on Blender is no longer present.

Just did a DDU uninstall, then reinstalled an older driver for comparison, then updated to the latest. And it indeed does fix the issue.

SUPERHOT still has this flickering issue on Windows as of this post. Reminder that the game (and Blender for some time) does NOT flicker on Linux with a working driver.

However, I will mark this post as the solution since Blender was the biggest issue for me.

Once again, I thank everyone here who shared thier experiences and help bring attention to this issue!