cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

amdbob
Journeyman III

rx 590 fatboy always throttling

I just bought a xfx rx590 and don't use it for gaming but strictly for video editing etc. I was noticing that it was not hitting the advertised true clock speed of 1580 but rather staying around 1400 mhz clock speed in the radeon overlay display . I am not a gamer and use the card for video editing mostly. I decided to run Furmark to stress test the gpu thinking that maybe premiere pro wasn't pushing the graphics card hard enough. 

The core clock remains around 1400mhz. I researched my problem and some people suggest to increase the voltage in wattman to +50% and that does indeed bring the clock speed to 1580. However the temperatures seem to rise quickly and stay around 80ish degrees when I do that. Without the voltage increase the temperature never go beyond 70s. I would rather leave everything stock as I need stability more than performance. About to send this card back to amazon and get another one but this doesn't give me too much confidence in this graphics card.

I am not overclocking neither do I want to. I want a stable card and sadly this one is not it. Luckily I don't have any crashes that other people complain about but  its running way under the advertised core speed so thats nothing to brag about. I got the card for sale but could have saved another few dollars buying the 580 if the core was going to stay at this speed. Sorry for the long post. 

System Specs: 

Motherboard Lenovo

Power Supply EVGA 550 W

Memory 16GB samsung

Proc Intel I7 4790

4 Replies

XFX built the card, not AMD, and under load it will reach the upper 80s and throttle if you don't increase the fan speed. However, that card has a speed of "up to" 1580mhz as listed on the XFX website, and will vary based on temperature, power consumption, and load level.

Thanks for the reply. Yes its XFX card but I was desperate for a quick answer so posted it here also. I can overclock the card to 1600 without problems. I just didn't want to "juice it" to run as a video encoder card. Funny part is I learned more about voltage settings and overclock settings after buying the card. I only wanted to run it without any modifications. Temperature only gets high if I increase the voltage % in wattman. 

When I first got the card, it was running at 1580 all the time. It just developed this behavior after a couple of weeks. I think its a driver issue but I don't have time to tweak graphics card as I want stability more than anything. Shame, I liked the performance when it was working.

As far as upto 1580, I understand that and would assume throttling if temps were high. This thing is running 1400mhz with temperature at 37 degrees.

0 Likes

Honestly almost all these cards throttle. You have to increase the power limit and use a fan curve. The vanilla AMD drivers are set for reference speeds not factory overclocked cards which most released cards end up being. Set your fans to kick up high at about 70. You will have to deal with some additional noise but the stability will be good. I have included a pic of my RX 580 fan and temp settings. Your 590 can be set similarly.

fujiyama-95
Challenger

Do you still have your XFX fatboy?

0 Likes