cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

RX 580 second monitor disconnects and reconnects when asleep

I just purchased a XFX RX 580 Black Edition, upgraded from a 1060 3gb, and since installation I have this issue where if I put my computer to sleep or it goes idle the secondary monitor will disconnect as if I had pulled the DVI connection. You can hear the Windows sound for when you plug/unplug something over and over again. Then once I wake the computer and login, certain things will well have shifted to the main monitor, like the sticky notes and any window that I might have left open before leaving my computer.

- I used DDU when I removed the Nvidia card

- I used DDU again to remove the radeon drivers and reinstalled

- There was an extra cable connected to the secondary when I first installed the card, so I removed it. 

- I tried this wonky DVI-HDMI cable with HDMI connected to the monitor and DVI to the card, that just caused the secondary monitor to have a weird aspect ratio which was fixed by changing the pixel format settings, but changing those settings caused the fans on the card to go full blast for a second and then go off again when booting or restarting.

- The only thing I haven't tried is a different DVI cable or a display port cable

How do I fix this?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kiefer3d
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issue, except I have a brand new computer without a prior NVidia install.  I have a Radeon RX 550.  The monitor it seems to have an issue with is an older HP 2311gt. (monitor 2, DVI) while the new monitor is a Dell SE2717H/HX (monitor 1, HDMI)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
kiefer3d
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issue, except I have a brand new computer without a prior NVidia install.  I have a Radeon RX 550.  The monitor it seems to have an issue with is an older HP 2311gt. (monitor 2, DVI) while the new monitor is a Dell SE2717H/HX (monitor 1, HDMI)

0 Likes

Interesting. The monitor I'm having issues with is an older HP. My HP does have HDMI, but the card only has one HDMI port that I'm using for my other monitor. I'll have to try another DVI monitor. 

0 Likes

I tried an acer monitor I had sitting around and the problem disappeared. Weird, but I'm glad I know now. 

0 Likes
stromb0li
Journeyman III

I have this same issue. RX 580, fresh install of Windows 10, latest UEFI updates, latest AMD chipset and second monitor still restarts when trying to sleep via DisplayPort.  Using Radeon Software Version 20.2.2.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

0 Likes

Are you using a similar monitor to this one? HP 2159m review: HP 2159m - CNET 

Or maybe this issue persists with other monitors, as well?

What fixed the issue for me was to get at least a monitor to replace the old HP one. So, if you have an extra monitor sitting around, I would test them one at a time and see if that's the cause and replace the offending monitor when possible.

0 Likes

Two Samsung UE590 UHD Monitors via DisplayPort: 28" UE590 UHD Monitor Monitors - LU28E590DS/ZA | Samsung US 

0 Likes

Hmmm...my issue was particular to a monitor, a very old monitor. You could try just running each monitor separate and see if a specific monitor causes the issue. If that doesn't work, maybe try one as HDMI and one as DVI.

Ultimately, my RX580 started having more and more problems. I upgraded monitors to solve the issue in this thread and then the one connected via DP would artifact and go black for a few seconds (at increasing intervals the more I put the card under load). I'm sending the card off for RMA today, though I'm not 100% sure that it's broken, because shortly after I tried troubleshooting those issues, a RAM stick went bad.

0 Likes