cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

RX 580 Heat causes monitor flicker when using DP

I just recently purchased two very nice monitors, 1080p, 144hz, and freesync. All good enough for my gaming setup; however, I noticed that the monitor that is connected via displayport with flash some artifacting and then turn off and then back on when under heavy load.

I've tried two different displayport cables and two different ports on my GPU to see if anything changed. It seemed to at first, but then I noticed that when my GPU is under heavy load, it starts to flicker again. It does it most notably when I'm running Folding@home since that maxes the GPU. It flickers less when I open MSI Afterburner because with afterburner I have slight overclock of both the core clock and VRAM, but I also have a far more aggressive fan curve set which keeps it cooler, but I still get the occasional flicker, but having the monitor flick on and off during a gaming session is unacceptable.

To the point, is there a way to fix this that doesn't require the expenditure of hundreds of dollars?

0 Likes
7 Replies
shoesfx
Adept II

i get black screen flickering 1-2 sec on 240hz with my alienware aw2518hf (freesync).
Both rx480 xfx and xr 5700 xt have the same issue. All games play normal on 144hz except League of Legends which i had to run the client on WinXP compatibility mode.
Frankly AMD freesync is a mess as well the graphic cards.

That is unfortunate to hear, as I'm stuck with this RX 580 for the foreseeable future.

0 Likes

could be your DP cable is damaged or just a cheap crap cable

DP can handle 4K video so try another cable 

That's a possibility, I'm just using the cables that came in the box with the monitors. I don't get a flicker most of the time, but I can tell when my GPU fans really ramp up it's going to start happening.

0 Likes

The Radeon settings can increase fan speed if the card is throttling or worse

I have my card set to 100% above 75C

Yeah, mine's not quite that aggressive, but very close. I set it just bit more aggressive at the 75c mark, because without afterburner running it could hit 77c and that's when the flicker got really bad. I just set afterburner to boot with my machine to make sure my more aggressive fan curve is always on.

0 Likes

ohemetophobia wrote:

Yeah, mine's not quite that aggressive, but very close. I set it just bit more aggressive at the 75c mark, because without afterburner running it could hit 77c and that's when the flicker got really bad. I just set afterburner to boot with my machine to make sure my more aggressive fan curve is always on.

by all means crank up the fans, that is what they are there for

0 Likes