cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

krisg2112
Newcomer

RX 580 faulty VRAM?

I ordered a Gigabyte RX 580 8GB (exact model is GV-RX580GAMING-8GD) from Newegg in November and I've come across an issue. Games crashing even after trying different drivers. I've used DDU in Safe Mode to uninstall the old drivers to be sure there was no conflict but there seems to be nothing I can do to fix this problem. Games only seem to crash when they utilize more than 2GB of video memory, which is leading me to believe that the VRAM itself is faulty, or maybe the Power Delivery to the Video Memory is. This isn't a normal game crash either, it's like like the GPU itself turns off for a half second because my monitor cycles through different inputs for a few seconds when it crashes. I've ran Unigine Heaven Benchmark for several hours and it never crashes or gets hotter than 76C, I also ran FurMark for 30 minutes to stress it to ensure stability in the GPU core itself. No problems there. Where the trouble begins is when I play fairly demanding games (such as Witcher 3, PUBG, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V, War Thunder, ect.) that can utilize a decent amount of Video Memory. If I turn graphics settings to low, the games no longer freeze/crash because they are only using 2GB of VRAM or less. For example, War Thunder starts to stutter very heavily then freezes for 5 seconds, GPU loses signal, monitor cycles through different display inputs, and the game automatically changes the graphics settings to low with an error message saying "insufficient amount of video memory". I've tried a different monitor and power supply (650W) with no luck. I'm very close to sending this card back to Gigabyte for another one.

0 Likes
0 Replies