cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

scchicora
Journeyman III

rx 580 drops signal to monitor

I play many games on my computer and have recently upgraded to a Radeon RX 580. Some games play fine. The games that do not play well all have the same issue. Cinematics run fine, but once actual gameplay begins the monitor loses signal and goes into sleep mode. This occurs on two completely different monitors. I have done everything suggested to troubleshoot this issue, but nothing has resolved it. The main game that has the issue is COD: WWII. Below is all the system info on my updated RX 580.

Radeon Software Version - 18.2.1

Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin

Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX 580 Series

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1380 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz

Radeon Settings Version - 2018.0131.1849.33856

Driver Packaging Version - 17.50.17.03-180131a-323831C-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01316

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13506

OpenCL™ Version - 23.20.15017.3010

AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0237

AMD Mantle API Version - 102400

AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.6

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.1

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.65

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX 580 Series

Device ID - 67DF

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 3417

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1462

Revision ID - E7

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x16

BIOS Version - 015.050.002.001

BIOS Part Number - MS-V34113-F1

BIOS Date - 2017/08/28 22:54

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 2000 MHz

Core Clock - 1380 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 256 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 8.00 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

0 Likes
47 Replies

Radeon Settings, Global, Wattman" Set power limit slider all the way to the right (+50), it is beneath the fan settings.

Set power profile to high performance.

Disable hybrid sleep. Use standby.

This will likely take care of it. Report back if not.

Make sure to do a reboot after changing all this.

Good luck!

0 Likes

I tried those tips and it did nothing for me. I have the same problem as scchicora where my RX 580 will "drop signal" to my monitor. It only happens when I am playing Star Wars Battlefront II (2017). All other full screen apps and games I have no issues.

The game will run fine but then suddenly and at random, video will cut out and my monitor will act like it lost signal (turn completely black). The game audio is still happening, inputs are still working, just no video. After a few seconds the video will resume and my monitor will show the on-screen display overlay as if it just detected a signal. 

This is extremely annoying and has been happening since 18.2.1 update

0 Likes

Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. I have even lowered all graphics settings to their min with no effect.

0 Likes
garbageblau
Journeyman III

same problem ı am facing right now

isnt there any solituon found??

0 Likes

EVERYONE:

Need more info INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

I haven't come across a game that does this with my RX580.  Please post all the games effected, maybe I have one and can try it here.

Also be specific about your monitor/cable connections.

If it's only one game, are there hints on the game's forums?

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Make and model: XFX RX 580
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon 18.2.3
  • Display Devices
    • Make and model, connection/adapter in use, resolution and refresh rate; e.g. Samsung UE32850R 3840x2160 @60Hz Active DP to HDMI adapter
    • Nixeus EDG 27" IPS 2560x1440 AMD FreeSync Certified 144Hz Gaming Monitor, Display Port, tried both 1080p and 1440p with 60, 120, and 144 Hz refresh rates as well as with FreeSync disabled.
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • MSI Z370 Gaming Plus (MS-7B61) Bios Version 1.2
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel i5 8600K

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

• EVGA Supernova 750 G3 750W 80 Plus Gold
  • RAM
    • 16GB

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue.
    • During gameplay, the monitor "loses connection" (screen goes black, as if I pulled the display cable out of the monitor) for a few seconds. Inputs from mouse+keyboard are still registered, audio still produced. Video returns after a few seconds. This happens seemingly randomly, and also can be once or many times in succession. No specific steps to produce this, just playing the game (Star Wars Battlefront 2)
  • Details about applications/games affected (including version number)
    • Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017) is the only game I have played that produces this issue. I have been playing the game since 11/2017 and have noticed this issue since more recent Radeon updates (18.2+)
  • Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)
    • All settings are Low. Resolution I tested 1080p and 1440p. Currently running at 1080p
  • If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue
0 Likes

There is nothing regarding this problem on the official game forums

0 Likes
musafirlalu
Adept II

Try this (nitro+ 4gb):

nitro+4gb_1380_18.2.3.jpg

0 Likes

No noticeable difference with those changes. Problem still occurs

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Check you display cables HDMI dvi cables deteriate had this issue with mine & switched my cable & problem went away. Another is check your PSU they dont last i replace PSU every 2-3 years are the quality to quanitity these days are crap even the good brands dont last. Had a good PSU die within 18 months & cables just dont last either. 9/10 its not the drivers its the display port or cables as i been finding lately. Sounds stupid but an over looked item missed. Trust me been here done that & solved a few on these forums already. Nothing lasts these days its y i replace PSU in 2-3 years cylces & replace cables every 3-6 months.

0 Likes

I am using a brand new PSU. Everything in my system I got in November 2017 (so just barely 3 months old). My original RX 580 "caught fire" according to the tech support guy after going through an RMA. I also replaced my PSU because they originally thought that was the issue. So I have a brand new PSU and GFX.

As for the display port and cables, this could be an issue. However, I experienced 0 issues in the past with the exact same cable, monitor, just overall setup. It is possible there could be an issue but just seems so unlikely because I everything was working fine. Unfortunately, I don't have a second monitor or other cables to test out.

Again, I just have problems with one particular game that I play. 99% of the time, there are no issues. Unfortunately, it is basically the one game I play so I notice it every time.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Cable i am suspecting they do that to if the hdmi or dvi cable gets worn certain games will do it.

0 Likes
ctdemonet
Journeyman III

I still have this problem. Despite upgrading to latest drivers, using DDU utility, communicating with AMD Global Tech support.

It only happens during this one f***ing game and it drives me nuts. Why did I spend all this money for a graphics card that can't play basically the one game I regularly play??

0 Likes

Try park control free. It's custom power state is like the one from Windows 7 and may give you the stability you need. It is what a difference for me on my RX 580. It's free to try and easily uninstalled if it doesn't help you.

0 Likes

How do you use this? I have an i5-8600K

0 Likes

you just install it and allow it to set it's default power profile. You can verify by going to the tray icon it installs or go to the power settings through windows either way. It's really pretty much a set it and forget it thing.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

check your bios settings & global game settings in your radeon panel might be a setting or timer turned on or off doing it.  Sounds silly but may be an overlooked issue, in the gloabal games folder for that game or a bios setting or OS kicking it to sleep mode. Turn off an ny power savings link state in bios & OS disable any form of power savings & bump your radeon settings to high preformance turn off free sync & dropping settings back a notch or 2 about medium give it a shot. If it works then gradually wind it up to suit. Even check in wattman that the voltage settings havnt bumped back throttling the card if in doublt give it some more juice could be wattman built in feature thermally or throttling it by not enough juice as I suspect.

I think messing around with WattMan settings really did the trick. I made a profile that has higher fan speeds, increased GPU Mhz with increased voltage, and lowered the temp for the fans to start running as well as increased power limit by 50% (max it allows me to do). Since setting this profile up and having it enabled whenever I play SWVF2, I have only experienced one very minor stutter. 

I still haven't had a chance to test a different cable or monitor but I strongly suspect neither of those are the issue. I appreciate plumboby for the suggestion

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

sweet good to know you have taken my advise happy to see your build running happier. Happy to try & hel

0 Likes

I guess I spoke to soon. I just played for maybe 20 minutes today and the issue was pretty severe, almost the worst it's ever been. Screen was out for a full 10 seconds, maybe longer (I started counting after a few seconds and got to 10 before it resumed). Here's a video of what it looks like when it happens: RX 580 loses output playing SWBF II - YouTube 

0 Likes

from your Youtube video, Your GPU actually doesn't lose any signal to the monitor, otherwise the Monitor's blue light would have changed to a different color and you would get a "Signal Lost" error message.

Otherwise, the other Users are able to help you better then me that are posting. Just making an observation, nothing more.

By any chance to you have the latest Patch installed 2.01 from 3/2018 here : Star Wars Battlefront II Patch 2.01 — STAR WARS™ BATTLEFRONT™ .

Copied from link on Patch 2.01:

The Star Wars Battlefront II Team

Heroes and Special Units

• Blaster-wielding Heroes and Special Units are now moving at their correct speed again

Starfighters

• Fixed an issue where some Interceptor Class Star Cards had their rarity levels swapped

General Improvements and Bugfixes

• Fixed an issue with Locked / Unlocked Star Cards showing the incorrect state
  • Fixed a stuttering issue with DX11/12 for AMD GPU players during gameplay
  • Fixed an issue with players getting a black screen when deploying
  • Various crash fixes

Known Issues:

• Darth Maul’s SABER THROW ability does not always hit its target
  • Sometimes, upon completing the Rodian appearance challenge the awarded crate does not display any contents. The Rodian appearance is still awarded as intended.

Post edited by F8RGE on March 27  

0 Likes

There also is a patch from 3.2018 for COD-WWII here : Activision Support​ and these are the known and Resolved issues that EA is working on since 3/23/2018 for the same game: Activision Support

One of the issues resolved:

I'm getting a black screen when a match starts even though I still hear audio.
– All platforms

We've fixed an issue that presented a black screen to players while loading into a multiplayer match.

Resolved

If you have these latest patches installed then ignore this post and the previous post.

0 Likes

The video doesn't catch it but if the screen goes black long enough, the OSD of the monitor says "No signal" then "Sleep mode" even though the my PC and the game are still running. It only happens while playing this one game so I genuinely think it's when the GPU has really high stress. 

I tried altering the settings as much as I can to push it to performance like increased voltage, MHz, fan speed, etc, but it still happens.

Yes I have the latest update I thought that would do the trick when I saw the patch notes but unfortunately not

0 Likes

The latest Microsoft Patch (March 22, 2018—KB4089848 (OS Build 16299.334))

has this fix. Not sure if it applies to you or not.:

Addresses issue that causes monitors to disconnect after a computer wakes from Sleep.

0 Likes
xpac
Journeyman III

This is really a strange behavior.

I have a PowerColor RX580 Red Devil Golden Sample, and a LG 34UC79G-B, and it shows the same symptoms.

Another guy and I wrote down our experiences on reddit, see here (it includes 2 youtube videos, so you can compare).

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/7ngw0z/amd_rx_580_and_lg_34uc79gb_black_screen_in_3d/?st=j...

Whatever we tried, it didn't work so far, and it happened in all games that I tried, but not in PUBG. For me the only solution seems to be to return it and go back to NVidia...

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Its not an AMD issue or card issue its a windows issue. Nvidia cards are experiencing worse issues but not been posted as crapvidia are locking forums keep the card disable all sleep options. Easiest fastest best solution is switch power plan to High Preformance it doesn't effect watts being used as much as people say. Disable any form of link state settings in bios & windows, turn off any form of sleep settings times & issues go away. A major issue with the 1709 behaviour atm, my card was doing it for a while till I disabled all energy savings bs built it they dont need it & a crock of crap, I run all my build this way 4 desktops set up the same way on both brands of cards they dont behaive this way now as I forced them not to. I honestly dont notice on the power bill its only a few watts but the PC behaives a lot nicer crisper & if all the fan settings are correctly set in bios & OS it doesn't use any more power that booting back from sleep mode or start up shut down senarioes. 

0 Likes

I had the same issue as above and fortunately the High Performance Setting and turning off Fast Restart and Disabling Hibernation fixed that for me. I had also re-loaded my specific monitor driver that Windows 10 likes to keep replacing with the "Generic PNP" driver (even with driver updates disabled it keeps happening) and every time it screws up the sleep on the monitor again.

----------

I have only had one nvidia card in the last 10 years. So not a lot of experience with them recently. Had my issues in the past. I can honestly say that with my sons 1050ti on a 7th gen i5, he has had, zero issues. We have not had to employ a single trick, hack, change, disabled feature, change from stock settings power, clock or fan, nothing, for his system to work. He hasn't even updated the drivers since last summer and it all works fine. I am not preaching the green team here either. I have been a very loyal AMD fanboy you could say for a long long time. This is just my honest experience this generation. Now there are a few problem games out there that AMD catches grief on for bad drivers that his card has the same issues as my AMD card has. Obviously these must be game bugs not driver issues. I no doubt believe both sides have their issues. But what I have had to do to have a passable experience with my RX 580 I can't call easy or pleasant. I am just glad I am at a point now that I am very stable again. But it took figuring out many, many things to change to get there. For most users having to do that is really asking too much. I am an IT pro and found the situation daunting and challenging. I for one am just glad to see things really getting better again in the last few drivers. I would love to go back to the experience I had with the 5 AMD cards from my HD 4850 to my HD7950 that I never had to look for any help with an issue even once.  I still have an 7850, 7950 and R9 380 all in service. The R9 380 has a bad HDMI port but still works fine over DVI and DP. All other cards are perfect. I have not loaded any newer drivers on those older cards accept on alternate Windows installations to test for people asking questions here, as I don't want to fix what isn't broken.

0 Likes
whatsupamdbinod
Journeyman III

How to disable power management settings in Windows | WD Support

Disable power saver, do not let any component sleep

afreakinproblem
Journeyman III

I am having this same issue on the same card AND two other people in this same house are also having the same issue with this exact same card. An internet search also shows one or two people also having problems on a Reddit page. All of that right there tells me that the HDMI port on XFX cards are NOT up to the specification they should be at. Any time the refresh rate is set above 75hz, you can expect intermittent display problems. The work around I've gone with on all of these computers so far is to use the display port which will still output 144hz, but sadly with some monitors it won't allow HDR capabilities (which sucks because my PX276h supports it).

timmage89
Journeyman III

Same card here, same issue. Finally fixed by decreasing the GPU core clock down to 1280mhz.

I spent hours troubleshooting and finally found this solution. Hope this helps someone. I've got a case opened with XFX to see why their cards do not run stably at advertised clock rates.

BTW, my displayport works with no issues.

globaldisruptor
Journeyman III

So i am a 13 year old kid and i have the same issue but i HAVE A SOLUTION, k so i said i have a solution and i do and it works, but probably everyone will tell me im wrong and you shouldn't do this, but it works. SO MY SOLUTION IS to install the drivers that come on the cd or Dvd in the box, and turn off auto updates and never update the drivers ever, and ignore the notifications. NOW I CAN READ and i did read the sheet of paper that says to get the drivers online, but my solution just works and i dont care I JUST WANT TO PLAY GAMES.

You are not wrong. Many older drivers work when newer ones don't that is why the best advice is, "if it isn't broken don't fix it". There is never a need to load a newer driver, unless the newer driver fixes or adds support for something you need, or if a future OS update or upgrade requires it. So you are correct, if it is working for you that is great. Typically boxed drivers can be quite old by the time one might get them on products that have been out for a year or two but again if it works that's great. Many products though are not even coming with drivers. They require you to download them now. A lot of computers don't even come with DVD drives anymore.

But great advice. I don't think anyone will say otherwise so thanks for sharing your opinion and knowledge. You sound like a very smart 13 year old looking to help and in my book is pretty AWESOME! Keep up the good work!

0 Likes

Above solution worked for me. My DisplayPort was not working. I had the latest Adrenalin 19.2.1. I de-installed and installed 17.10.1 from the Powercolor website for my reference card which is a Red Devil RX 580. Cheers! 

UserBenchmarks: Game 77%, Desk 130%, Work 119%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 101%
GPU: AMD RX 580 - 69.9%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB - 252.6%
HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2008) - 53.8%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB - 59%
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 77.4%
MBD: Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI

0 Likes
drakks
Journeyman III

Guys, try this, disable ANTIALIASING!!!!!!

0 Likes
madrocker
Journeyman III

This is an XFX issue with their QC. I have 2 of them. 1 Shot sparks when it was powered on, and the other is now blinking after 2 months. 

Agreed. Luckily my Amazon return window was still open so I just returned mine and got a 1660ti instead.

That should OC to about 1070 ti performance too!

0 Likes
raddawg
Journeyman III

Been having this issue on a brand new build. I didn't have a display cord so I borrowed one of my dads. it was  long, switched it to a shorter display cable and haven't had a black screen yet. I believe it was like a 25 ft cable and I now am using a 3ft cable. this is most likely not your issue but if anyone else finds help from this, its something i didn't initially think of being a problem. The whole machine continues to run but randomly in games the display just cuts off to a black screen in power saving mode. Shorter cable is running @ 4k 60 HZ no issues now. 

0 Likes
shrey_789
Journeyman III

I had this same issue with my system. I upgraded my power supply VS650 to RZ1000x. Works fine now.

0 Likes