GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580

CPU: Intel i7-4770K

Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO

RAM: 16GB

PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

Operating System & Version: Windows 10, Linux mint dual boot

GPU Drivers: 27.20.12029.1000

Background Applications: N/A

Description of Original Problem: I usually run Windows 10 with a GTX 760, monitor connected to DVI and TV connected to HDMI, screens duplicated. Yesterday I replaced the GTX 760 with an RX 580, and I am having trouble with this display.

- When DVI and HDMI are both plugged in, the TV has input but the monitor does not.

- When I unplug the HDMI, the monitor gets input.

- When DVI and HDMI are both plugged in, and I enter the BIOS, both TV and monitor have input

-When I boot into Linux, both TV and monitor have input.

Windows cannot detect another display. Windows + P > Duplicate also does nothing.

Troubleshooting: I have already uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers via DDU and re-installed the AMD drivers twice. Since it works properly in BIOS and Linux, I'm thinking the hardware is fine, and that the problem lies with Windows.

0 Likes
7 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

That's weird that an Nvidia behaves like that in Windows. You need to run a splitter is all, either from the HDMI or DVI. Linux has it's own 3rd party open source driver I believe, hence it works? 

"It worked before you broke it!"
toningly
Adept I

Update: updated motherboard BIOS and re-installed Windows... didn't work.

But then I tried reseating the DVI cable and it works until I restart or sleep the computer. That is, Windows is able to detect the monitor, and duplicate or extend the displays. 

0 Likes

@toningly wrote:

Update: updated motherboard BIOS and re-installed Windows... didn't work.

But then I tried reseating the DVI cable and it works until I restart or sleep the computer. That is, Windows is able to detect the monitor, and duplicate or extend the displays. 

I would contact AMD support https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Also contact your cards makers support department.

One thing you could try but would cost the price of an adapter. Is get an active display port to whatever type connection you want. My bet is this only is affecting edid detection on the DVI port and the display port would work. It may be worth a try, especially if you by chance already have an adapter. 

Something I should add is that I have had in the past where I thought I had a port bad and it turned out to just be some sort of corruption in Windows. After a clean Windows install the port worked again. 

So if you by chance have a spare drive, test a fresh Windows install on it. 

What happens if you disconnect/reconnect the non-functioning display or power the non-functioning display off/on vs. a reboot? Because that would be consistent with a black screen bug in the driver if Windows rediscovers the display. I suppose the fix would be to try a different driver or power off/on the blank display for now and try submitting a bug ticket through the Radeon app. They respond quicker to driver issues, if it's that. 

a long shot is to go into "device manager" and click on "show hidden devices". Remove any and all "ghost" items. They are greyed out devices from anything not connected to the PC but was at some point. You probably have hundreds. I did that for a USB issue and it fixed it. Like @pokester  said it could be an EDID type thing where you have 2 of the same. Keep in mind, after doing removing the "ghost" items to reboot and check it once in a while so it doesn't get cluttered up. There's a 3rd party cleaner app for doing just that but I forget what it is. I think it was a paid program as well, so I just do it myself regularly. 

By "ghost" items I mean every time you plug a flash drive in Windows stores that device forever but "hides" it. I guess for quicker install if you reconnect it later. But they add up and EDID's can duplicate causing things like a flash drive to not load.

"It worked before you broke it!"

When I re-seated the non-functioning monitor, the monitor have a pop-up showing that it's getting DVI signal, and then show Windows. When I rebooted, the monitor would turn off (saying something like "no signal detected; going to sleep") and would not turn on until I re-seated the DVI plug. Power-cycling the monitor didn't do anything.

Now that I re-installed Windows, power-cycling the monitor works the same way as re-seating the plug. Does that point to the driver being the culprit?

0 Likes
toningly
Adept I

I went ahead and did a reformat and re-install of Windows 10, and it works better now; instead of re-seating the DVI plug, I can just power cycle the monitor and it shows up. I haven't installed the 20H2 feature update yet, but I  guess I have nothing to lose.

0 Likes