my rx 580 has been crashing since i built my new system
{specs ID-COOLING ZOOM FLOW 240X 
CORSAIR ICUE 220T
RYZEN 5 3600
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F
evga 600br 80+
 under any heavy load it crash games like cod rainbow six siege apex  
it just blacks out but my pc is still on but i cant do anything i have to restart my pc then it comes back up but the game crashes every time

0 Likes
19 Replies
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @Skylergamingttv 

Did you check your temperatures while this happens? If it is hitting between 84C-90C with > 80% fan usage and Power Usage > 110W with unstable clockspeeds it is very likely overheating and entering safe mode.

How long have you been using your RX 580? It's thermal paste might be worn out and needs to be cleaned and repasted.

Had to do it a few times with my RX 480 as well. Although, I do think something in the drivers has changed, causing RX 480's/RX 580's to overheat more often. In addition, that CPU will cause the RX 580 to absolutely max itself out in a lot of scenarios, especially if you are not using a Frame-Rate CAP or VSync, which will cause it to get very hot.

Edit: In addition, I see that we might have basically the same computer cases, I have the original Corsair T220 case if I remember correctly and although this are nice cases I think their airflow are not to great which contributes to overheating.

Kind regards

0 Likes

see thats the issue its say its runing at 30-60 but then its blacks out soo idk what it doing its only under haver loaded games and some games it has like lines going threw the screen and when im on discord screen sharing my friends can see them to

0 Likes

Hi @Skylergamingttv 

Does the fans spin full-speed when it blacks out? If not, it might be the driver that is crashing, this happened with my Assassin's Creed Oddisy yesterday, the driver tried to initiate every 4seconds but the screen would just blackout again. I also had to restart my PC.

I know RX 480s & RX 580s are currently experiencing blackouts when playing videos in any internet browser, and it is a known issue in the 21.7.2 driver release notes, which I also experience every now and then. But, it might be windows related as well.

0 Likes

yea they are spinning when it blacks out ill try and see if i can get a picture of what the game s look like

Skylergamingttv_0-1627725517002.png

0 Likes

@Skylergamingttv 

But what I mean is do they sound like they are spinning at maximum speed or the same as before the game crashed.

Also does the display lose signal, or does it continue showing the image like the screenshot you just posted? If the fans do not sound like they are spinning max speed when it happens, I think the driver is crashing/deadlocking.

0 Likes

the display gose black and i cant do anything

0 Likes

Hi @Skylergamingttv 

Is the fans spinning full-speed in this scenario? I am not just asking if they are spinning, are they spinning very load when this happens?

Furthermore, how do you check temperatures? If you use MSI Afterburner you will be able to see how hot your GPU is when this happens.

0 Likes

no matter what i use it hard to see becuz my screen gose black i had my amd over lay on and it showed 30 and it went black so idk and some times they sound like jet engines other times it dont 

0 Likes

@Skylergamingttv 

30C while gaming? I highly doubt that. If you get MSI Afterburner and enable the GPU temperature, Fan Speed, you will be able to monitor it more precisely.

What I am asking is directly after it blacks out if the fans then sound like jet engines, because then you can be quite certain it went into safe mode to try and prevent damage. In addition, are you able to press for example Num-pad or Caps Lock to see if the light indicators on your keyboard changes after a few seconds when the blackout occurs, if they do not change the graphics card has gone into safe mode.

Furthermore, if you are using a FreeSync screen make sure you are using one of the two highest refresh rates available or try testing with FreeSync disabled.

Kind regards

0 Likes

i am running a lg 144hz freesync and i can still se my keyboard lights and such and use them but my screen is just black  like i cant do anything with the screen and ill get msi after burner 

0 Likes

it got up to 61c and played apex for about 20 mins screen went black i was able to press cap lock button and it was working i tryed ctrl alt del to bring it back and nothing happen and my fans speed up when my screen went black 

0 Likes

It sounds like it might be overheating on certain sections of the GPU although 60C is quite low and usually I am not able to change caps-lock anymore when it goes into safe mode.

How far is you card out of warranty? If it is, I can recommend neatly redoing the thermal paste. I'll share a link later of where I showed pictures of my last best attempt.

0 Likes

its to far out of warranty yea it got up to 62 then it just randomly blacks out then the fans go crazy so ig redo my thermal pads 

0 Likes

Hi @Skylergamingttv 

Excuse me for only replying now, I would firstly redo the thermal paste instead of the thermal pads if I were you, because it is more than likely the issue rather than the thermal pads.

But you can redo the thermal pads as well if you feel confident enough.

0 Likes

i just did both and cold war still crashes im about to run apex and see what my temps are but on  cold war i saw 42 at highest

0 Likes

@Skylergamingttv 

That is very impressive temperature, have you maybe tried reverting to older drivers or upgrading to newer ones? Maybe it is an issue with current drivers.

Furthermore, did you do a clean install of your chipset drivers when you upgraded some components? In addition, does your motherboard contain the newest BIOS version?

Kind regards

0 Likes

hey just saw something when my pc so my dram light turned red but the gpu was still running so would my dram failing cause my display to go black

0 Likes

I am not sure, but it might. Possibly, if Windows was making use of it, since programs currently in use are stored in your main memory (RAM). Furthermore, if part of the Radeon Driver co-existed on that RAM it could make sense.

Have you tried testing without that RAM or testing it in another computer?

0 Likes