cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

paggerchef
Adept I

RX-580 Crashing During Games

Hello, I recently purchased an RX-580 4GB (Sapphire Nitro+). Previously I had a GTX 1050Ti, no other hardware has changed apart from a RAM upgrade. When replacing my graphics card, I made sure to DDU it first, but since this problem has been persisting I've done a full reinstallation of Windows and yet it still occurs.

The problem is, during games one of two things will happen, typically after 20-60 minutes - either the game will just crash to desktop (and the bug reporter will come up if it has one, interestingly), or in the worst cases - but significantly rarer - the entire system will hard lock, the monitor will lose signal and a power button reset will have to occur.

I have tried a lot, now my CPU is overclocked to 4GHz (Ryzen 3 1200) but it's been like that since the day I got it back in August 2017 and shows no errors in synthetics (Prime95, IntelBurnTest) or games. I have extensively tested my RAM with benchmark applications, the windows memory checking tool, and passmarks memtest tool, and there are no errors there. I even disabled XMP (3000MHz 15-15-15-35) and ran it at the standard JEDEC rate of 2133MHz, and these crashes still occured, plus I've had no errors in any intensive programs that would be typical of RAM.

For the card itself, I've tried a ton of different drivers and none of it makes a difference, I'm currently on 19.1.2. (I just bought the Resident Evil 2 remake), I have the power limit set to +50%, I've tried undervolting, and overvolting. The games I typically play are Civ VI, Insurgency Sandstorm, Project Cars 2, TES Skyrim Special Edition, MGSV:TPP.

My thoughts at the moment are that it's a VRAM issue, as very occasionally when booting, a grid of multicoloured (like noise) squares will appear on the screen in a checkerboard formation followed by a system hard lock, however, this only happens a) exclusively at startup and b) only after logging in to windows, I can wait for a million years on the login screen and do stuff, but nothing happens. I've done a ton of different VRAM tests, both dedicated utilities (memtestCL, Video Memory stress Test v1.7, MSI Kombustor artifact checker, OCCT artifact checker), and benchmarks (FurMark (with 8X MSAA), kombustor, Heaven, Superposition) yet not once has a crash ever happened, and I've let some of these run for an hour or more. It seems to only be when playing a game.

I also thought it could be my PSU, it's a 450W SuperFlower Golden Green HX, but I doubt it is this, as even with a +50% power limit the RX-580 can only use under the worst possible scenario (i.e. furmark) 260W, and my CPU under its worst condition (a R3-1200 at 4GHz @ 1.45v) can only use 100W. Neither component is ever near their limit, especially at the same time, and I did stress them both at their worst cases and it didn't crash, and this PSU gave no problems to the build with the 1050Ti.

In terms of temperatures, there is nothing wrong. My CPU under the heaviest loads (p95 and IntelBurnTest) maxes out at around 60-70C, and stays in the low 50s during games, my motherboard VRM stays in the 50s, and the card under a furmark load tops out at about 75C, lower in games.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but I'm genuienly out of ideas. I've been through the stickies, done the DCIM and SFC/SCANNOW, and had nothing to fix.

1 Solution
paggerchef
Adept I

For anyone reading this thread who has this issue, I've managed to fix it.

I can't say for other cards, but on my Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580, the VRAM voltage (the IMC anyway, it's at the bottom in the global wattman settings) was too low for the stock 2000MHz clock. I increased it slightly and haven't experienced a single glitch, crash, freeze or anything negative. I even got it to run fine at 2250MHz (9GT/s). Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
paggerchef
Adept I

For anyone reading this thread who has this issue, I've managed to fix it.

I can't say for other cards, but on my Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580, the VRAM voltage (the IMC anyway, it's at the bottom in the global wattman settings) was too low for the stock 2000MHz clock. I increased it slightly and haven't experienced a single glitch, crash, freeze or anything negative. I even got it to run fine at 2250MHz (9GT/s). Hope it helps.

THANK YOU for posting how you fixed it instead of just leaving the post as is! I had the same problem and just after a bit of googling I found this post. You're a real time saver!

0 Likes

Exactly the same issue here. I've decided to buy AMD products Ryzen 5 Asus RX 580 and etc. There is almost no matter which game I will run, still crashed tried with Civ VI and etc. and approx 10-15 min playtime and it's crashing. The only game I can play now on my PC is Anno 1404 but for not more than 3h because guess what?... it's crashing as well. still, 3h is much time comparing to all games I have installed. 

Please if someone have a solution share it otherwise I'll just pick up a hammer and never ever will buy something AMD.

Never had issues with GeForce.

0 Likes

Exactly the same problem here, it drives me crazy, I tried so many things and nothing will work. 

@

0 Likes
sandwichbomber
Journeyman III

Hello. Glad to hear that you managed to solve the issue. I just purchased the same card and facing the exact same problems you mentioned. Could you please provide the information about you overclocking? How much voltage did u increse? a screenshot would be a great help  Looking forward for your precious reply.

0 Likes
thomask112
Journeyman III

In January 2019 I purchased a new MSI RX580 8g GAMING X.  I experienced exactly the same issues as Paggerchef has indicated above.  However, I have been unable to resolve the constant crashing issue, in game, as above.  The crosshatch pattern referenced has been substantially reduced by updating drivers but, still, the crashes occur, they are graphics 'crashes' sometimes allowing a reload and run the game and sometime requiring reboot.  An endless string of problems.  Finally after 16 months of suffering with this card I concluded it was defective.  Other online gamers I play with routinely also running variations of the RX580 with the game SCUM in 'Epic' settings convinced me that the card, unless defective was a good card.  Yesterday, May 14 2020, I installed a new MSI RX580 8gb Gaming X installed new drivers (Radeon software) and... crosshatching has not yet reappeared but the game crashes in exactly the same manner as before.  In the game, SCUM problems occur in the same areas of the game's map consistantly.  I need a solution as, it appears, I am not the only one with this issue.  I am on a very tight fixed income and cannot purchase a different card.  I will go back to nvidea (the 580 was my first amd gpu).  My original 580 runs Battlefield 5 and PUBG without similar failures. FWIW

0 Likes

I have xfx rx580 8gb and it does the same sort of thing it causes my pc to restart when playing game I have all the latest drivers and can not see why this is happening  

I knew I was not alone..Steven,

Can you advise which program or programs you have the crashing problem.

I'm not only becoming frustrated with the issue but I'm also getting

rather peeved..

I've run some tests with the program Unigine Superposition (free

download) which I have run on my earlier card and on the new card. 

Results are a little different.

MSI tech suggested 'it might be the motherboard'  Mine being the MSI X470 G+

Could you also advise which MB you have and what RAM you have.

All above being said, the card works fine in everything else I have run,

I only have this issue in the game of SCUM.

Which program(s) have you observed this problem?

0 Likes

It will run gta 5 for sometimes 20 mins other times 5 mins before it restarts the pc. I have the 8gb version and have 2 x 8gb gddr 4 ram at 3200mhz

0 Likes
vitordg
Journeyman III

Would you mind in sharing your wattman config? Also, the version are you running!

Thx!

0 Likes

I am using the latest drivers from amd website the only controls I have changed is the fan speed to give it extra cooling. I have tried all the different settings I can I have run it at factory settings I have under clock the card over clocked and it does not make any difference to game crashing. Last night I even put in my old graphics card and ran the game it ran it on low settings but it ran it without crashing so I can only assume there is a issue with the card or drivers. I have a friend who has a gtx 1650 super who said he will drop it me off to see if the game runs with that. if the system runs the game with that fine it will prove it is the card/drivers 

0 Likes

I had the same issue games would crash after 30 minutes or switching scenery or a green flickering screen. Turned out that the factory settings for my RX580 it was OVERCLOCKED. What helped me was the following:

Went into AMD Radeon software - Performance - tuning 

Changed tuning control to manual 

For GPU Tuning it was disabled you have to enable I lowered the max frequency by 10% 

Than VRAM tuning was also disabled so you have to enable and I lowered the MHz from 1750Mhz to 1600MHz. 

This may not be similar for everyone so lower those settings a little at a time until the game doesn't crash anymore. 

Hope t his helps Played a game for over 2 hours and no crash!

Thank You. My card was overclocked by default and keeps crashing anytime I use it for VR using my Samsung Odyssey. I've scaled things back as you suggested and things seem to be working. Fingers crossed. 

0 Likes
foxx
Journeyman III

Hello, how much voltage did you put? I have the same problem.

0 Likes

The only problem I had with the RX-580 crashing, for the most part was

the game of SCUM.   PUBG, BF5 and others did just fine.

However, after fighting the crashes in SCUM for months I bought a

replacement MSI RX-580.  Identical card.  Identical problems. with SCUM.

When I upgraded from 16 to 32 gigs ram, it cleared up.  But at the same

time I ordered a newer faster card and never looked back.  Just my 2 cents.

0 Likes

What are you meaning with scum ?

@thomask112 wrote:

The only problem I had with the RX-580 crashing, for the most part was

the game of SCUM.   PUBG, BF5 and others did just fine.

However, after fighting the crashes in SCUM for months I bought a

replacement MSI RX-580.  Identical card.  Identical problems. with SCUM.

When I upgraded from 16 to 32 gigs ram, it cleared up.  But at the same

time I ordered a newer faster card and never looked back.  Just my 2 cents.

0 Likes
GeniusOOI
Journeyman III

I used to have another way to solve this problem I recently purchased a msi rx 580 gaming x 4gb video card on Avito and when a lady came and changed my old video card to it, I demolished the driver through the ddu program and installed the latest driver version 21.5.1 and downloaded a couple of games and launched metro exodus twisted almost everything to the maximum and started to play and after 10 minutes the driver falls off the black screen tried again to start the same only after 5 minutes okay useful to configure the driver did not help as before the driver dump I thought that the video card had already started another warframe game there he also unscrewed everything to the maximum in full hd resolution, everything is stable, the video card is half-loaded and everything works stably, I play for an hour, then I clamp it down during the game alt + r and everything freezes and the video driver falls off, and then I realized that the amd was messed up with the overlay of my driver, although before that the gtx 750 ti melted with their proprietary utility and I used it and worked stably, but then Sneti decided not to driver and reinstall only the bare driver without all this crap and you know what helped launched metro exodus and started playing proshol until the Caspian desert everything works stably does not crash in 2 days the whole game proshol without dls and no AMD please fix this problem in the full driver

0 Likes
GeniusOOI
Journeyman III

я ношол еще один способ решить эту поблему недавно приобрел на авито видео карту msi rx 580 gaming x 4gb и когда пришол дамой и поменял свою старенькую видеокарточку на нее снес драйвера через програму ddu и установил последнюю версию драйвера 21.5.1 и скачал пару игр и запустил metro exodus выкрутил почти все на максимум и начел играть и через 10 минут отваливается драйвер черный экран попробывал еще раз запустить тожесамое только через 5 минут окей полез настраивать драйвер непомогло попрежниму отвал драйвера я думал что видеокарте уже все он запустил другую игру warframe там тоже выкрутил все на максимум в full hd разрешении там все стабильна видеокарточка нагружина на половину и все стабильно работает играю час потом нечайна зажимаю во время игры alt r и у меня все зависает и видеодрайвер отваливается и тут я понял что амд накосячили с оверлеем своего драйвера хотя до этого стаяла gtx 750 ti с их фирменой утилитой и я ней пользовался и работала стабильно а ту нет тогда решил снети драйвер и установить занова только голый драйвер без все этой хрени и знаете что помогло запустил metro exodus и начал играть прошол до пустыни каспия все стабильно работает не вылетает через 2 дня всю игру прошол без длс и ниодного вылета AMD пожалуста исправте это проблему в полном драйвере

0 Likes
CynthiaMoon
Journeyman III

1. Buddy Idk if you'll ever see this but your solution solved my problem and I can't thank you enough. It made my freaking year. Thanks to you
0 Likes