cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

alv
Journeyman III

Rx 580 blackscreens constantly

Hi, i have an RX 580 and have been getting black screens constantly while in windows. when it black screens the game and/or application running continues to run in the background. this forces me to restart. After restart the adrenaline software will not respond or start up unless i do another restart of the system. I have tried D D U, the AMD fix software, windows re-installation, different drivers, different setting for voltage and fans. None of the things i have done to try and fix it have worked.

i am new to all this so if you need any more info or if i am doing something wrong please tell me, thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Deemon69
Elite

Good day!
The main reason for this error is Windows DEP. Run a command prompt as an administrator and type bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff and press Enter. After that, restart your computer: the next time you log into this system, DEP will be disabled. The error will disappear.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Chester1994
Challenger

First, make sure that your GPU fans are running, since my RX 580 only spins its fans with a custom fan curve from the driver itself (it´s weird, I know).

If it´s not the fans, it's either a faulty PSU or a faulty GPU.

I would try another PSU.

What brand and model are you currently using? and how long has it been since you bought it?

0 Likes

I checked the fans and they do spin so it isn't that thanks tho

0 Likes
xRedible
Adept I

I have a similar problem, but mine is worse. I'm stuck on black screen even on boot, I don't see anything. I bought a new motherboard and a power supply today. It did not change anything, still the same problem. If this Adrenalin update fried my graphics card, Idk what to do.

0 Likes
Deemon69
Elite

Good day!
The main reason for this error is Windows DEP. Run a command prompt as an administrator and type bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff and press Enter. After that, restart your computer: the next time you log into this system, DEP will be disabled. The error will disappear.

0 Likes

i ran it all day after doing what you said and did not get any  black-screens or problems. I decided to reinstate DEP to see if that was actually the cause and not just some fluke. Immediately after i did my screen flashed black on and off in the log in screen. After logging in Adrenaline would not respond or open and it black-screened after around 5 minutes. I disabled DEP again before it black-screened and forced me to restart. I know DEP is security program so i was a little hesitant to disable it, but it did solve my problem so i cant really complain.

Thank you for the reply and for helping me.

I do hope this fixes it for good, but i have had fixes turn out to be temporary so i will update this if the problem returns.

0 Likes

I'm glad I could help you and you got a stable PC. The problem may reappear after Windows performs an update, so you should periodically check the disabled state of DEP. Recognizing that DEP is a big problem for many users is a serious step on the part of Microsoft and AMD, which they are afraid to take, as this is a fiasco. But the more people who know that DEP is the problem, the sooner we can get Microsoft and AMD to fix it.

P.S. Sorry for my english.

0 Likes