Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

gr8-1
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

RX 580 Black Screen While Gaming - Windows 10 - 17.9.3

Hi,

Sorry I was unable to post this typewritten as I kept getting an error message saying "Discussion blocked due to potentially offensive language", so I post an attached image of the question instead.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Kudos
37 Replies
pegasus2
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Black screen and signal lost after gaming for awhile with RX580

I've heard of various things working for different people but no single solution either. I have the same issue, but with a RX550.

I looked up your screen to see if it was similar to mine, it's not, it's not even running on the same input interface. I was thinking it might be a monitor interface issue only affecting certain people but obviously not.

Right now i'd try limiting the power use, or increasing it in Wattman, try -50% then +50% and see if you get more stability. Other thingfs could include disabling GPS scaling or forcing it to 'Full Panel' instead of 'Preserve aspect ratio'. You might alwo want to try changin the colour depth or whateverit is, I can't remember but it's in Radeon settings and default is 8, try 6. You could also under clock the card and check it's showing up correctly in device manager along with your monitor. These have supposedly worked for some people  but I think it's very hit and miss.

The only logical thing I can see is that we can't all have duff PSU's. So a PSU problem is, in my mind, less and less likely.

0 Kudos
gr8-1
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Ok I'll try the above suggestions tomorrow and update again.

But among them, so far I've already tried increasing the power limit to +50%, to no avail.

Also tried the 17.9.3 and 17.7.2 drivers without Wattman, used Sapphire Trixx instead, also no luck with both default mV and undervolt of -10mV.

0 Kudos
blackheart6004
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I had the same problem on my R7 360. After numerous research of the same problem, I've decided to go into Wattman and change the frequency percentage on the GPU. Putting it to -52% (530MHz) stopped the black screen crashes and the godawful annoying buzzing sound.

Was able to play World of Warcraft for an hour without the issue (Black screen crash at around 2-3 mins at the default frequency setting, which is 1095MHz). Really worked for me.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

This is a problem with Windows 10. Like above, increase he available power with Wattman to max which will help prevent the card from starving for power when it's needed.

On principle I suggest all Radeon users max out the extra power so that the card will achieve more performance.

0 Kudos
gr8-1
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Do u mean increasing the power limit to +50%? Cause I've already tried that on the 17.9.3 wattman and was still getting the issue.

Ive yet to try dropping the gpu frequency though, or dropping the power limit to -50%

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

I guess all your can do is see if AMD can come up with a driver that takes care of the issue.

Both AMD and NIVIDIA are awaiting the release of the fall Creators edition of Windows 10 and then the fun of problems to get fixed in the weeks that follow

What do use for a PSU, some cheap PSUs are not very good and tend to brown out with too much load.

0 Kudos
gr8-1
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

It's mentioned above in the image, I'm using a CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 850W

0 Kudos
gr8-1
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I just tried dropping my power limit to -50% in Wattman, though on an earlier driver version 17.1.1, and it seems to be more stable, in the sense that it took longer for the black screen issue to occur, at around 25-30mins of gaming this time. Is this a good thing, to drop the power limit this way? Could this come with some negative side effect for the card?

In any case, I'm going to reinstall the latest drivers 17.9.3 with Wattman and try out some of the other suggestions above.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

download MSI Afterburner and install it and setup the OSD to show the GPU temperature and see if its overheating

0 Kudos