cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DEF1
Adept I

RX 580 black screen while gaming default radeon wattman setting has been restored unexpected system

GPU: RX5808GB ASUS

CPU: I59400F

power suplly 550W silentium pc

motherboard B365M

RAM 2x8 2666 MHZ

Problem:

When i play a game : my screen goes black, fans speed up, sound still works, HDMI no signal. After rebooting a computer i get default radeon wattman setting has been restored unexpected system failure in notifications. I manage to fix it by underclocking GPU to 1100MHZ but I loose 19% of performance. THX for help

0 Likes
27 Replies
netquik
Adept II

Hi

What driver are you using? asus? version?

could be a power problem you should check consumption and correct power cable installation.

0 Likes

0 Likes

consumtion 120 W witchout underclocking

0 Likes

Hi i think people would need better details about all system

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/information-required-when-posting-a-discussion/ta-p/4227...

also is the card new? or all pc configuration?

try increasing GPU Power Limit in wattman

if card installation is correct could be a faulty card.

details

WIN 10 2004

RX 580 8GB

Cpu i5 9400F

SSD 240GB

HDD 1TB

power supply silentium pc 550W

motherboard B365M

2x8 2666MHZ HYPERX

1.I bought this card in shop 6 months ago. 

2.I tried increasing power limit in watttman +50. Still have blackscreens.

3.Card isn't faulty beacouse it was in service.

0 Likes

well from what you said

problem could be PSU or  PSU configuration

- check and double check PCIe power cable to VGA

- If you can try with another PSU

- try disconnecting some or all devices you can from PSU leaving it more power. If it doesn't crash you should think upgrading PSU.

0 Likes

When your card is either not getting the power it needs or throttles it can reset the driver and it will also return all driver settings to defaults. That is the error you got and what it means. 

Max the power limit to 50. It is under the performance then tuning tab. Also if that alone does not fully help, set a custom fan curve that kicks the fans to 100 at 70 degrees.

This is a very common issue with Polaris. 

If that does not helps run the diagnostic app OCCT from OCBASE dot COM and check your components. 

If that does not show any issues talk to the support department for the company that made your GPU. 

0 Likes

OCCT does't work on my computer beacouse it does use only 1% of my GPU and 10% CPU.

0 Likes

@Cracko @DEF1 @netquik I have the same problem with RX 550 4gb. I tried to play many games: gta 5, fall guys, jump king, valorant, nfs mw 2012, csgo but i get blackscreen only on csgo. If someone fix this problem let me know. I have this issue since i bought this gpu. I tried to reinstall csgo, windows, graphics drivers, clean install gpu drivers by DDU, upgrade BIOS, increase power limit for gpu, downclock gpu. Nothing helped :smileymad::smileyfrustrated::smileysad:

0 Likes

@Daniel3 if you ave problems only on csgo it could be game related. You can search possibile fixes in internet. For example one user suggest this:

1. Open your Steam library
2. Search for CS:GO and right click on it
3. Select properties
4. Here select "Launch options"
5. and type in "-autoconfig"
6. Launch CSGO.

but you can find many similar try fixes. as disable HTML "messages of the day"-> "-cl_disablehtmlmotd 1"

If the problem is only with that game i would exclude a System/driver/hardware related problem.

0 Likes
Cracko
Journeyman III

Hi,

i had the same problem with the newest driver 20.11.1

Try to use the current stable driver 20.9.1, that fixed everything for me.

I had weird stuttering and game crashes too.

It seems like the old RX Series has problems with the newest driver.

Don't forget to put the check mark at the optional factory reset settings.

0 Likes

for all note that new driver is already available 20.11.2

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-11-2

and it includes fixes for rx series (finally for watman settings reset after sleep)

0 Likes

@netquik wrote:

for all note that new driver is already available 20.11.2

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-11-2

and it includes fixes for rx series (finally for watman settings reset after sleep)

I tried the newest driver yesterday, still doesn't work for me same issues.

Ok i will try to test form my side as i 've similar configuration.

I will update here if i get the same problems.

0 Likes

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/20/11/25/qhv.pngqhv

No crash or problems here with newest driver and tested with Doom Eternal.

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
    • Sapphire RX580 
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 19042
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 20.11.2
  • Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate.
    • Samsung SyncMaster P2350(G)/P23500(G),Magic P2350G(Digital)
      1920x1080 @60Hz DVI adapter to HDMI
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision
    • PRIME X570-P
      BIOS 2802
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage
    • Corsair RM650x
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
    • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-36, XMP 2.0, 1.35V, ver 4.32
0 Likes

Same problem here with msi rx 580 armor oc 8GB and gigabyte aorus rx 580 8gb.

Playing the witcher 3 or csgo, it goes to black screen, everything else keeps working as I was in the middle of a videoconference while playing and the speaker kept talking without cuts.

Just installed latest driver 20.11.2 today reseting all the settings.

My setup:

Gigabyte B450M DS3H
RYZEN 5 2600
Nox Urano VX 650W
G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000 8GB CL16 X 2
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3,5" Sata 3 X 2
Kingston SSD SV300 256GB x 2

Asus PCE-AC750 750Mpbs PCI-e

Nox Hummer ZX Zero

gpu.PNG

I've tried running occt gpu test for a while but it didn't crash :smileyfrustrated:

I've also uninstalled msi afterburner and rivatuner because I read somewhere it could create this kind of problems so I lost the ability to monitor on screen most data

Could it be the psu?

Edit: I've managed to take a screenshot just before going to black screen while playing csgo. All the values seems normal to me :smileysurprised:

IMG_20201125_174728.jpg

0 Likes

did the problem start recently? or you are not sure about that?

also check crash details in event viewer or using BlueScreenView by NirSoft

0 Likes

It started at least some months ago, but it was pretty unusual, like 1 time every couple of weeks, and also I noticed it happened almost always after booting linux and then going back to windows, but now is almost every time I try to play a game.

I have reset the bios an ordered a new psu just in case as some friends told me my psu could potentially break due to bad quality of components

0 Likes
Elusive1
Journeyman III

I have the exact same Asus RX580 and experience the same issue until I came across a YouTube video with a fix that seems to be working out for me so far..Try downloading an app called Radeon Software Slimmer from Github.com and just install the Graphics driver and the Audio driver if you need it..It basically the Radeon Wattman software causing the crashes from what I've read so it seems software related if I'm correct? The app allows you to do a custom install of the Adrenaline driver giving you the option of leaving the bloatware off..

i hope this helps my asus rx580 2year old same issue playing every game now i just only play valorant still getting black screen i'm trying it now ill update later thank you.

0 Likes

Just install older 20 series driver. Don't get the random TDR errors with those.

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

When I see the problems people are getting, I always look at their pc specs.. especially the PSU..

Most people getting problems have PSU's I have never heard of or rarely heard of.. 

I would say the most important part to spend money on is your PSU.. You need stable power, enough watts and Amps..

The least I would personally spend is around £100, but I like Seasonic..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually it is not the power supply (GIGABYTE AORUS P750W) my RX5700XT is specified with 220 W. At 2100 core clock and 1184 core voltage in the FurMark benchmark stress test, I reach a maximum core clock of 2000 and up to 280 watts of power consumption, because of this discrepancy then WattMan. Even the benchmark with 86 FPS and 4 + MSAA crashes with a black screen and a forced restart.

0 Likes

this helps me Radeon Software Slimmer from Github.com from the comment earlier try this guys if you experience black screen also watch this after downloading (1) AMD GPU Crash/Black Screen/FPS Stutter ACTUAL FIX. [8/25/2020] - YouTube

0 Likes

Quite often it is the power supply..

In your case not, but a lot of people skimp on the PSU..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
GQ236
Journeyman III

I done this. Hope maybe it helps. I opened steam an set my resolution to my TV/monitor size. Now everything is working fine.

0 Likes