Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

MintChipper
Adept II
Adept II

RX 580 8GB Crashing with Games

Hey I got an issue, my Gigabyte RX 580 8gb in my new pc has been acting up crashing in the middle of games/some editing software. Usually just the application crashes but sometimes the whole computer blue screens and restarts because of it.
I've already tried:
-turning off hardware accel in certain background apps
-checking memory
-scanning for bad files
-updating the radeon drivers
-uninstalling then reinstalling radeon drivers with auto-detect(have only tried windows' uninstalling method not DDU or AMD cleanup utility)

What do you think is going on? I've seen an older post on here that solved a similar problem saying their VRAM voltage was too low but they didn't explain how exactly they changed it.

also worth noting that all of the blue screen error codes I've been getting so far are somewhat display driver related, when I uninstalled and reinstalled before there were no crashes for about 24 hours and thought I was good but then I got another game crash so I'm back to square one. My power supply is bronze 600w and using high performance plan btw.

Any help is appreciated!

36 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: RX 580 8GB Crashing with Games

Full system specs please. Aside from that, try the card in another PC. Try a different PSU, they go bad all the time and that would be a symptom. Yes, use DDU and reinstall the driver by downloading it first. Try using the 20.8.3 or 20.9.2 vs. the newer drivers. Those older versions are more compatible for your card. 

DDU: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.6 (guru3d.com)

Driver: Radeon™ RX 580 Previous Drivers | AMD

"It worked before you broke it!"
MintChipper
Adept II
Adept II

Thanks for the reply! I'll try those older drivers you recommended sometime today. 
Here's my specs: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8 GB GAMING 8G Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

mackbolan777
Forerunner
Forerunner

Power supply could be shady since it's a bronze and I'd go 650W or higher in gold for future reference. Ignore PSU calculators, they're only a guide. Quite a few complaints for that model starting in 2019 on Reddit. If yours is a 2017 I can pretty much tell you it's done.

0 Kudos
MintChipper
Adept II
Adept II

I don't know how I would identify that mine is from 2017 but here's the page i bought it from. I'm gonna try the driver thing before trying anything physical.

0 Kudos
mackbolan777
Forerunner
Forerunner

[PSU] EVGA BQ 80 Plus Bronze, Semi Modular, 600W Power Supply - $39.99 (after $15.00 MIR) + FS with ...

I didn't want to go there but... there's some of the complaints. It's more a matter of when you bought it. I was thinking it could be 2017ish because of the rest of the build. Any bronze rated PSU is PU, if you catch my drift. Never go cheap on the PSU, it's heart of the PC.

0 Kudos
MintChipper
Adept II
Adept II

sorry it was a miscommunication I put "new pc" in the OP to try to communicate that I made this build around 4 weeks ago lol

MintChipper
Adept II
Adept II

I tried playing Devil May Cry 5 with the 20.9.2 drivers, I got 1 crash at first because I had the discord overlay on and forgot the game doesn't like that, then I got another crash about 10 minutes later, I tried running the game in DirectX 11 and the game ran fine and I played until I got bored and closed it.

So I have no clue if it's actually working now but I'll update if it keeps working or not. How did you know if these driver versions were friendlier to my card?

0 Kudos
mackbolan777
Forerunner
Forerunner

Complaints from others and a problem I had with my RX 5600 XT I was running, giving a similar issue. About 4 months of research and stumbled on a video or two that placed the issue squarely on those 2 drivers being stable. Then finding out that AMD marked the 5000 series GPU's EOL (End Of Life) and the fact no new fixes are in any driver made past 20.9.2 for the 5000 series cards. Your card is based off the Polaris GPU line, however the newer Navi GPU driver is made the same and this idea has worked for others that have an RX 400-500 series card, as well as the 5000 series. 

Something of interest: RE Engine | Resident Evil Wiki | Fandom

That's the game engine and since it uses PAK files, it's much like doing a lot of file extraction, much like "WinZip" at high speed. This makes the game hugely CPU intensive but in your card's case, your GPU can handle those calculations relatively well, since you card was also one of the better "mining" cards. 

I would recommend just running in DX11 mode if that works well as DX12 is going to use way more VRAM and tax the CPU harder. I'd also stick with that card, unless you move up to the 500/570 chipset and a 5000 series CPU or your FPS will really suffer. You won't get much benefit from trying to OC into DX12 either, it may even cause more issues.

Discord has caused crashes on my PC but that was before doing a clean install of Windows 20H2 x64 PRO vs. Home. I also went to the RX 6800, so I'm not sure exactly what stopped the issue. Another thing many are missing is that today's games run much better on SSD's. Use the spin drives for backup's.

0 Kudos
MintChipper
Adept II
Adept II

Thank you for the extra info, I was going back to this page because the game was crashing again today and I just did a clean to reinstall the other driver you recommended, but out of suspicion I went and checked the config again and it reverted itself back to DX12 lol, so maybe the issue's fixed and I have to go check the config every time I feel like playing and go try some other demanding games to see if it crashes there. 

0 Kudos