blackgear25
Journeyman III

Re: RX 580 8GB Crashing with Games

what your gpu temperature ?

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

You can alter the "config.ini" file to make the game always use DX11. Here's a video with someone with you nearly identical specs running the game both ways: Devil May Cry 5 | DX 11 vs DX 12 | How to switch to DX11 - YouTube

As you can see, very little visual difference but there is a 10-15 FPS to the better running in DX11, so DX12 isn't worth the effort. DX12 uses much more VRAM as well. Also you can see that the CPU is hovering near 70% at times, like I said previously a CPU bottleneck. 

GPU temps as mentioned by another OP, could be an issue if you're at 90c, optimally you want under 80c. Right on 80c is "ok" but a bit hot. Like the video shows the GPU/VRAM sticking to the 65c area which is fine. Check your cooling situation out, like use a side fan if temps are higher and your case has that option. Space out any PCIe cards so the card can get air. Manage wires better to not restrict front airflow if they are in the way at all. 

See if other games are affected. If the card is staying in good thermal range and the CPU as well, you might want to RMA the card. Looking at that video your system should be able to handle the game on DX12 but your FPS would be lower by ~10-15 FPS.

If the card is a "blower" card meaning one squirrel cage fan, it could be getting hot. You might need to get creative getting more air to it and also change the fan curve to be more aggressive. Some cases allow for a bottom mounted fan and that would be ideal if it has a fairly unobstructed path to blow air to the card. You could experiment by running the PC with the side cover off if you don't have any fans lying around. Again, this is only if your card is at 80c or above. 90c is the max but issues can happen as one gets closer to that threshold.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
MintChipper
Adept II

I was playing Jedi Fallen Order last night which tends to get pretty hot and it crashed after about 40 minutes but I wasn't looking at my GPU temps during that, playing more Devil May Cry today I was checking temps and the most it got to was 80c sticking at or below 70c so I don't think GPU temp is the issue, but I got another blue screen unfortunately, this time DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with dxgmms2.sys which I figured out might've been me running it in DX12 again, in most blue screen reports I get the files shown are either amdkmag.sys, dxgmms2.sys and ntoskrnl.exe, if that helps at all. 

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

I found a post that might help describing a registry edit. You need to open the registry editor by pressing Win+R and typing "regedit" or "start", "run" then type "regedit" in the box. Follow the instructions below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\GRAPHICSDRIVERS

Then, right-tap on the right-side panel and tap on New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Now set the name of this latest created DWORD as TdrDelay.
Double-tap on the newly created DWORD and then set its value as 10. However, it’ll set the response time for your GPU to be 5 to 10 Seconds, modifying it from 2 seconds which is the default.
Then leave the Registry Editor and then reboot your PC for the modifications to take effect.

Other options would include reinstalling the OS fresh from USB made from the Windows Media Creation Tool, try to update Direct X (never had luck with that), try driver 20.8.3 but use DDU in safe mode. PSU could be defective. Retest the RAM using: MemTest Manual (hcidesign.com) to at least 800% coverage or overnight. Final thought is a defective GPU or CPU in that order.

MintChipper
Adept II

I'm starting to think reinstalling windows might be what I need to fix it, because I installed windows 10 on this using a USB with a setup resource from 2018 because I didn't have access to the creation tool and updated from there which might have messed with it somehow. 

mackbolan777
Forerunner

It could because it would add a ton of useless updates to the useful ones that can corrupt things. Also, 20H2 is an entirely different OS build, meaning not much was carried over to the new build.

kalckamlo
Journeyman III

Power supply could be shady since it's a bronze and I'd go 650W or higher in gold for future reference.
0 Likes
kalckamlo
Journeyman III

Power supply could be shady since it's a bronze and I'd go 650W or higher in gold for future reference.

Speed Test

0 Likes
MintChipper
Adept II

Hey I'm back, sorry for not updating for a while. I reinstalled windows and was good for a few days then I got crashes again, so I did the standard routine I'm used to at this point trying different drivers, even the newer versions, so far no luck. I was beginning to wonder if there was something I was missing when setting up this PC cause I'm new to this in general and realized I didn't have AMD chipset drivers so I went and downloaded those, the PC seems to use the SSD faster now but the crashes are still around,

I admittedly still don't want to accept that I could have to RMA or replace something just yet so I'm still looking for software solutions, here's my motherboard's driver page, I haven't downloaded anything there besides the AMD chipset so if you think one of them might be something I need please tell me.

I also want to bring attention again to this post I had put in the OP, if someone can help me find out how to check my VRAM voltage to see if that is the issue I'd really like that because I don't have a great understanding of the software.

If at this point you do think it's just my hardware is there anything I can do to check whether it's my PSU or GPU or CPU specifically? I understand the PSU isn't ideal already but I'd rather make sure which exact part is the issue here before I wait on a new or replaced part only to find out that wasn't the problem.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just want to cover all bases I could think of, thank you for still checking up on the thread.

0 Likes
delevero
Adept III

Try this.

1). go into bios  ( i recommend to load default factory settings. )
2). press F2 and open advanced mode
3). Somewhere on that page ( depend on manufacturer if its on this page or other )
4) Find CPU-Vcore and it is configured to be Auto
5). change auto to  1,375V.
6). Exit and save your bios.

Maybe this will make your computer stable.  ( the above have made my own computer stable i have a 5900x cpu and 6900xt cpu and it crashed all the times in games after 5-15-30 minutes the computer would shut off with the error Kernel-power ID 41 ( 63) but after doing the above i had 0 crashes.

0 Likes