cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

legedia_328
Newcomer

RX 5700XT VRAM test (10 minutes, almost a million errors detected)

I have been dealing with this GPU for over 8 months. I always had problems with blackscreens, crashes, freezings and hangs... The "symptoms" were always exactly the same, the game crashing and if the PC did not restart by itself and instead crashed to the desktop, I could see in the system tray how Radeon Software was restarting at that instant (because it had also crashed). When I opened it again, I could see how the GPU frequency was stuck at maximum (even if no program was using the GPU). It was always the same, this caused that I had to restart the PC anyway for the frequency to be restored. Also, I could see how in Event Viewer there were several app crashes and "LiveKernelEvent 141".Today I had the idea to download OCCT, however the first test I did was VRAM MemTest. During the first 5 minutes everything ran fine, with some freezes but I assumed it was because of the load that was on the VRAM. Then at about the 6th minute the PC had a freezing of about 7 seconds and then ... hundreds of thousands of VRAM errors registered by OCCT. Interestingly, the Radeon Software crashed (as when a game crashes) and when I reopened it ... yes, the GPU clock was stuck at max. And as if this were not enough ... I went to the Event Viewer and saw "AppCrash" and "LiveKernelEvent 141" errors. So, with the VRAM test I managed to "reproduce" exactly what happens when a game crashes.I would like to know your opinion on this. Is this OCCT test reliable? Can I assure with certainty that the problem is the VRAM?

I bought this GPU in December of last year through Amazon, so it has been a big mistake of mine all this time not having done this test before the return window closed, however, is it possible that they will let me return it, for a replacement or for a refund if I contact them by chat?

Thank you very much in advance to all of you, honestly this test made me feel happy and sad at the same time, because (I think) I finally found the issue, but at the same time it is a serious one and it means that my GPU is physically damaged.

PS: the GPU is an XFX THICC III Ultra

0 Likes
7 Replies

XFX has a 3 year Warranty on your specific RX5700 GPU card: https://www.xfxforce.com/support/xfx-warranty. (Must first register GPU card at XFX Website to get the 3 year Warranty).

I suggest you open a XFX Warranty and post that OCCT image of your results of your vRAM test and see if they believe you need to RMA the GPU card for a replacement or repairs or Pro-rata cash refund.

Does look like you have a defective GPU card by the OCCT vRAM results.

EDIT: See if XFX has a newer RX5700 vBIOS that might help with your errors or maybe trying to configure the GPU card but after contacting XFX Support.

Hi! Thank you for your answer.

I'll try to contact the XFX support team and explain the issue to them. I've heard they are very comprehensive and offer a very good customer service.

How can I see or search if XFX has a newer vBIOS?. I've not heard about that before, I thought it was not as normal and easy as downloading and installing the mobo's BIOS.

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
atrivion
Journeyman III

I got the same result on my Sapphire RX 5600 XT. 
The test ran fine for 30 min, I didn't use my PC during that time. Then I decided to open the PNG from the previous GPU test in OCCT, my PC froze for 10ish seconds, then the errors exploded in OCCT. Several hundreds of thousands errors in seconds.
I also get a lot of Green screen crashes along with WHEA Event ID 18 Fatal Hardware errors when it crashes.
My CPU, GPU, everything is as it was when i bought it when it comes to overclocking.
Tried installing the latest drivers, previous drivers. AMD Clean uninstall/install program. Reinstalled Windows several times. 

I've thought about bios updates for the card, but Sapphire hasn't released one for my card.

Windows 10 64 bit. Version 2004. Latest updates installed.

Ryzen 5 3600

B550m Mortar Motherboard.

Sapphire rx 5600 xt.

Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Vengeance.

Corsair 650 Watt, 80 Gold power supply. 

I really want to support AMD but my last card i bought several years ago also had Green screen crashes randomly but way less prone to crashes than this one, it only happened when watching Netflix.

This card however crashes a lot. 
I'll be sending this card back, first for a new to see if that fixes it, if it persists than I'll go with something else.

0 Likes

Same problem after 30 min 8 errors and some crashes in event log Sapphire 5600xt.

0 Likes
andrem2020
Journeyman III

I tried to test my Sapphire 5600xt vram with OCCT and it crashed everytime i tried, but not facing any crash in games even when its using +80% of vram, however still suffering with stuttering and micro stuttering occasionally.

0 Likes

The Developer of OCCT vRAM Test has fixed the problem with the vRAM Test failing on AMD Graphics cards.

The new update to OCCT has the new fix for those who would like to test their GPU card's vRAM again.

Now I’m scared because I’m updated and it still says (after just 30 seconds of testing) that there are over 1.3 million errors on vram, I have an rx570 4gb

0 Likes