Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pheonx
Journeyman III

RX 5700 XT stutters

Hi,
I just bought a new 5700 XT and installed it (DDU in Safe Mode), nothing else was replaced inside the PC. I bought the new card because I want to play PUBG without  low FPS.
Before I just had bad FPS (GTX 960) while playing but now with the new card the FPS are above 100 constantly, but the game is stuttering a lot - sometimes I get stutters for 1sec. 
Anyone know if the Radeon RX 5700 XT has problems with the game?
I already tried the driver version 19.8.2 and currently 19.9.1 but no difference, still stuttering.

0 Likes
29 Replies
pheonx
Journeyman III

Or is there anything I can do, maybe in the AMD settings like turing off something?
Or is it just a bad driver and I have to wait until AMD fix the problems?
I can't find anything via google that could help, but maybe I am searching wrong...

If anyone can help or give me some advice, that would be perfect.

0 Likes
bazzed
Adept II

Have the same, like massive FPS drops for a few seconds..

0 Likes

Did you check your monitor fresh rate is not set to 59hz? Windows 10 has an annoying habit of setting the refresh at 59hz or 29hz which caused black screening on my TV over HDMI.

Its no problem with "black screening" for me, there is just a lot of stuttering while having above 100 fps.
and the stutters wasn't there before i installed the new 5700xt...
btw, for now i have to use an active converter from hdmi to vga because i have to use an verys old monitor with only 1 vga port. if i save some money i will buy a new one but still, this doesn't have to do anything with the stuttering.

0 Likes
ad_hoc
Journeyman III

19.7.5 seems to be the most stable driver right now.

Make sure you don't have MSI Afterburner installed. Also ensure that "Enhanced Sync" is off.

Thx for that information, I will download the driver immediately.

0 Likes
hakiwen
Journeyman III

Hi, you are not alone i bought the rx 5700 at the launch and i have experienced fps drops for 2 months on all games i have played.

i have tried a lots of things but nothing has changed.

I hope they wil see our messages and fix this....

0 Likes

Hey there,

I got the same type of issues playing Smite. Using DX11: Most characters show no basic attacks and or abilities. Switching to DX9 gave me huge framerate drops. 

Setup:

MB: Asus Rog Strix X470-F Gaming

CPU: 2700x

GPU: Asus Rog Strix 5700XT

AMD Driver 19.9.2

This MB got 2 M.2 slots. My second one (M.2.2) is empty. Even tho this one is not in use, you have to switch this to 2x in stead of auto in the BIOS.

This slot shares a PCI e clock with the main PCIe x1_1 which is the slot where you put your GPU.

You've got 3 choices. Auto, 2x or 4x.

So set it to 2x

This solved all my stuttering problems. I don't know why. I saw this solution on other forums. It also seems to work for X570 MB Models (disable gen 4 pci e express. you will not loose any performance)

DX11 still doesn't work tho.

Hope it works for you!

0 Likes
trazzdi
Journeyman III

I had the same problem, I fixed it with a complete windows reformat and reinstall

0 Likes

trazzdi wrote:

I had the same problem, I fixed it with a complete windows reformat and reinstall

I am wondering if there are issues with windows as much as with drivers

0 Likes

Did you fix your problem? Because i have same issue.

0 Likes
wandrer
Adept II

Maybe i'm onto something. 

Guild Wars for an example uses a D3D9.dll version from october 2019, Windows 10 has one from january 2020, which is newer, as for the D3D compiler, Guild Wars 2 uses version 43, Windows has a version 47.

So i was wondering just maybe something was changed in Windows 10 too.

I'm trying with this configruration right now:

c:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-directx-direct3d9_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.18362.387_none_17fc2e96f27ea370\d3d9.dll
+ c:\Windows\SysWOW64\D3DCompiler_47.dll

in the game folder.

And i found another one with a differnet size:

c:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\D3Dcompiler_47.dll

Update:

I still get lags, but fewer and less long and i get the feeling that the basic FPS got up quite a bit as well as loading times got down.

0 Likes

did you manage to fix this?

i've still got the stuttering problem even with the new drivers. i'm trying the undervolt thing but that doesn't really seem to help a lot. sure it get less hot but the stutter still remain...

0 Likes

I only play Battlefield games and was able to fix it in those games by forcing my windows power options to "performance mode" instead of "balanced". Have to make sure the cpu power is always at 100% and that fixed my stuttering. 

0 Likes

thanks, but i already did that unfortunally

0 Likes

The way I found to fix it is that you need to go into the AMD control

center thing, locate the tuning screen, then crank your minimum fan speed

and clock up for all games.

Then once you do that, you should launch your games through the AMD

launcher directly. The settings don't get applied otherwise

0 Likes

Oddly enough this seems to have some effect..

0 Likes
cclaudiu12312
Journeyman III

Try a restart from pc button , after that lag will disappear , also found if disable fast startup from windows can resolve this problem

0 Likes
fajrifauzan
Adept I

that's major issue with AMD 5700 series right now.. overheating issue, rendering issue, and driver issue..

Just claim it if you have still warranty.. My sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro + also crashing, rendering issue, driver issue, and overheating issue... good job AMD with your graphics card.Screenshot (5).pngScreenshot (4).png

Agreed. The problem is that I can't right now because of lock down... Also if u do that they test the card and that takes about 4 to 6 weeks..

I'm thinking to return it and just buy an Nvidia and when I get my card back just sell it. 

wandrer
Adept II

A few days ago i read that the stutters could be fixed by disabling the Windows 10 game mode. Did any of you try that and did it help?

I can't test that, as my 5700 never had these stutters and most of the stutters do happen with 5700XT.

0 Likes

I never had this game mode on. But my stutters seem to be gone.

Why I can't tell. I closed my case again (kept it open for better cooling but closed it now because aperantly my m2 ssd neefs that airflow) 

Tbh I'm really tires of figuring this out. It works now. And i hope it stays that way but I ain't touching it again 

0 Likes
kajin
Journeyman III

I still have the stuttering issue im on the latest drivers and have tried almost everything it just wont go away. It is perfectly playable tho on newer games but like overwatch i stutter so bad in the middle of fights. 

0 Likes

windows has this feature that changes your background every few minutes. try to disable that. i have no clue why but seems like that did the trick for me. at the same time i closed my case and fixed my case fans. i was gaming with open case because i tought that would provide maximum fresh air. boy was i wrong lol.

hope any of this helps you.

not sure what you tried but you can always try to undervolt to rule out heat issues. new drivers are way better but not 100% perfect yet.

good luck

I don't know what you mean by that as i have a solid background also i forgot to mention when starting up games it sometimes black screens when i tab into the game.

0 Likes

I never imagined a graphics card like this to have problems with changing background while being ingame. Maybe it is the changing border colours (which it still should be able to handle), but it is annoying af. Amazing how they havent fixed this

0 Likes
watling85
Adept I

hi there everyone, have the strix 5700xt a couple of weeks now. i've managed to stop the pc crashing and random black screens by using the cable that came with the monitor not the one i bought off ebay.

i'm getting stuttering in games and its very annoying the fact i've just paid £450. the thing i've noticied is that when i open the radeon software while playing the outerworlds for example the game behind the radeon window stops stuttering but as soon as i press alt and r and return to game it starts stuttering again.

need a fix for this otherwise its going straight back and i'll be getting an nvidia, never had any issue with my strix geforce 970. its a disgrace for the price we've paid!

0 Likes

Hi there, have managed to sort all problems!

I complained to the store I bought it from here in the uk and was all ready to package it and send it this morning. Was gutted in a way as new build was built around the 5700xt in way.

Anyways, I installed the new adrenaline software instead of older software I was using (wasn't even aware it was old) that sorted stuttering on and background issues on outer worlds!

I was getting black screen and crashing a lot for forza 4 and crysis wouldn't even load aswell as hot temps.

I was getting wattman errors on start up and read about disabling tick box options in the power saving menu, never thinking it would do anything. Crysis came straight on and even worked at 1440 and forza stopped crashing.

Card was still running hot when running newer games (junction around 98°c and card around 90°c) so I decided to do a ddu and reinstall the newest adrenaline software that was still in my downloads, I also read that the generic x570 chipset drivers from amd not specific to my mobo would help.

Done all as above and the temps have come right down and no issues what so ever with any game (so far anyways) junction around 88-90°c on intense 1440p 144hz and card around 75-80°c.

Ridiculous that I even had to faff about doing the above but really happy that I didnt have to send it back as I really wanted this card.

Hope this helps someone and thanks for your info and advice too

0 Likes
crystalyser
Adept III

sorry if this is already posted as a solution before.

deactivate the Windows Gamemode!
since i do this i haven't only one crash again!

start -> settings -> games -> game mode -> deactivate the game mode option!

my fps increases about 5-10% and with freesync i got  straight 144fps/Hz

XFX RX 5700 XT THICC 3 ultra - Radeon 20.8.2

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W
0 Likes