cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

raver
Journeyman III

RX 5700 XT still crashing with 19.7.2

As many other people here, I still get crashes with RX 5700 XT on the newest version (19.7.2). It's better than 19.7.1 where I couldn't start even CS:GO but it still has very severe issues.

For example, if I start Apex Legends, only after 1-4 seconds in the main menu, it crashes the entire system and causes reboot. The same occurs if I try to go to the options menu in Rainbow Six Siege. Also UserBenchmarks have stopped working for me, even though I could run them immediately after install. Now either its 1st or 3rd GPU test causes a system reboot.

I've tried to completely uninstall the driver with DDU, revert to 19.7.1, uninstall it, install 19.7.2 again, reinstall Windows, switch to PCIe3, set undervoltage, disable FreeSync and GPU scaling. When I remove RX 5700 XT and install my old GPU (GTX 960) everything works.

I hope this issue gets resolved as soon as possible because I have to fall back to my old GPU for now unless I want to crash my system every now and then.

My specifications: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT / MSI x570 Gaming Plus / 2x Corsair 8 Gb 3600 MHz / Corsair CX600 PSU

1 Solution

Hello,

Thank you for your response! I did try to reinstall the driver with DDU, unfortunately to no avail.

However, since apparently different sources list different recommended PSU outputs, I've tried to find out whether my PSU could be the issue. I've bought a 650W PSU instead of my old 600W and the system does not crash anymore. I still got black screen a couple of times in one game (Apex Legends, one time the screen went entirely black but the system still ran, and another time both my displays flickered black during a game but returned to the normal state soon afterwards) but everything else works now.

View solution in original post

67 Replies
dfabrichny
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. Not only it crashes when I'm trying to run games it even crashes when I'm trying to watch a youtube video. (It even crashed when I was trying to run dxdiag). I can't even open discord.

I have tried to remove/update/downgrade driver even re-installed windows, but nothing helped me.

Threadripper 2950X, ASRock Taichi x399 (BIOS 3.50), Sapphire 5700 XT 19.7.2 drivers, Windows 10 Pro. Everything is running at stock.

Here I have attached the minidump file, the event from the event view, dxdiag result and one of the dxdiag crashes.

I can attach the full memory dump but it takes 1.5GB.

UPDATE: I've decided to rollback to 19.7.1 drivers and so far no crashes. At least I can watch youtube now. Haven't tried games yet.

UPDATE 2: Welp, it worked until I have restarted my PC now it's back to crashes. I have noticed that before crashing the GPU video decoding load get up to 100%.

agreeablyblue
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issue with the 5700XT.. My GTX 1060 6GB I upgraded from could run AC Odyssey at 1440p with 40 FPS and no stuttering. Now with the superior RX 5700 XT I'm crashing regularly and seeing huge frame drops (It can idle near 100 but then it'll randomly dip to nothing and or crash). In benchmarks for the game I'm only seeing a 17 FPS improvement on max frames, and an 11 FPS improvement on minimum frames. It's a shame that the lack of driver support for games is leaving this new graphics card underperforming compared to 3+ year old mid range cards. 

crfox
Journeyman III

I may have found a temporary work around, while doing some trouble shooting i decided to just extract the files from the driver package after removing 19.7.2 and using the extracted driver path in the AMD folder in the C: drive using device manager to just install the GPU drivers ditching the Adrenaline software while they fix everything. So far all my games are stable and there is no stuttering happening and no crashes, so if you can live without Wattman and the other features while AMD finds a fix you can try that.

Damn, I was ready to start celebrating, but then this happened.Untitled.png

0 Likes

I tried without installing wattman but didn't make a difference for me. As I said games don't crash for me, the driver is crashing. Also I think there's memory leak on this card because you can't run textures on Ultra in black ops 4 because on High the vram usage is about 7.8GB, on Ultra it's stutterfest. On GTX 1080 I had 0 problems running shadows and textures on Ultra. Also I think overall BO4 runs worse than on my older 1080 and game just doesn't feel smooth overall. Even with freesync ON and locked fps it doesn't smeel smooth if I'm below 120fps, above that it's perfectly smooth but I have 75hz and 100fps feels like 60fps...

This worked for me, but as of today it starts all over again. Whole PC locks up, blackscreen and reboots. I'm returning mine, i can't do anything like this.

I don’t know what that means, could you put that in words that I could understand?

0 Likes
patent122
Adept II

I haven't encountered single crash on my RX 5700XT however Black Ops 4 is causing driver to crash. Windows will simply freeze but game will still work

0 Likes
patent122
Adept II

Refund the card and buy RTX card or wait for truly working drivers because so far we only have optional drivers that cause issues with literally every possible GPU

delltech1
Adept I

I had similar problems.

Reinstalled 1903, installed latest visual studio, directx, skipped for now antivirus and installed 19.7.2 per custom installation and skipped radeon Relive installation. (I have also installed Accelero Extreme IV as a cooling solution), played Apex for almost 7 hours without any problem. Touching wattman is causing problems, so i didnt change anything after the driver installation. Changing voltage, fan curve or anything else causes freezes and lockups, mostly when i press the win button the start menu and other opened programs are empty and i just see the background color, basically an empty window (pictures, text all is missing and soon the pc will crash). Not using wattman, changing anything helped.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please could you try running DDU in safe mode and then downloading and installing the full 19.7.2 package from www.amd.com/drivers as a troubleshooting suggestion?

Please could you provide a picture showing the internals of your chassis?

Mr. Amdmatt, why should we use DDU after system reinstallation? Many people reported same issues even after system reinstall.

0 Likes

Yes, until we have an updated driver out to fix this particular issue. 

Mr. AmdMatt, would it be possible for you to give an estimated date on, when this new driver will be released?

No sorry i cannot provide a timeframe. 

0 Likes

Hello,

Thank you for your response! I did try to reinstall the driver with DDU, unfortunately to no avail.

However, since apparently different sources list different recommended PSU outputs, I've tried to find out whether my PSU could be the issue. I've bought a 650W PSU instead of my old 600W and the system does not crash anymore. I still got black screen a couple of times in one game (Apex Legends, one time the screen went entirely black but the system still ran, and another time both my displays flickered black during a game but returned to the normal state soon afterwards) but everything else works now.

Update to latest bios before clean installing windows saves you alot of unnecessary work, what cpu are you using? your mobo is similar to mine, latest bios was flashed when i got the board so far no crashing for my 5700xt. I was having crashing issues with asrock b450 fatality itx + 5700xt. Now its just smooth sailing for me.

msi_x570.jpg

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know, it does sound like the PSU was at fault. 

0 Likes

It's also better to run 2 separate 6+2 pin cables to the GPU then 1 single cable with 2 x 6+2 pin

0 Likes

I have a brand new 750W PSU with 2 separate cables and I can't play any games without immediate BSOD.

0 Likes
tvdang7
Journeyman III

I am having the same problem with my rainbow six. It locks up or crashes to desktop repeatly now.  I have a 5700 xt a 3700x clean window installation and 19.7.2 drivers.

0 Likes
samsc99
Adept I

had the same issue when i first got my rx 5700 xt. What watt is your psu rated at, i upgraded from my 750watt psu to a 1000watt psu and it runs like a charm now.

added: Pc crashed when i was in main menu or i had very low fps, ever since i upgraded my PSU both problems are gone, atleast until now. has been a great upgrade for me, tried it at first day i got the card, had low fps + crashing, ordered a 1000w PSU next day it came in, never experienced any issues with the card. But the only issue that i'm facing right now is that i can't use parsec, video encoder couldn't initialize but i guess i'll have to wait for a parsec update to support the card. Running version 19.7.3 (i believe that that is the latest version at the moment, updated yesterday)

0 Likes
sai_
Adept I

So, instead of putting the "Enhanced Sync" on, I put it to "Always off" and it worked like a charm for me. No more crashes, nothing. You can also do this with the new version (19.7.3). But for me, it makes my pc goes BSOD. So I stayed with 19.7.2

Ryzen 5 3600 stock GHZ

RX 5700XT 50th Anniversary Edition

0 Likes
fk1991
Journeyman III

I have the same problems. Very often complete system crashes. Hopefully there will be an update soon for 5700 xt. 

0 Likes

Undervolting now let's me run FurMark on the ssd at least, it's running since 8 minutes now, should it reach the 30 min mark I'll save up for a new psu and a better cooler for that furnace of a gpu.

0 Likes
neshura
Journeyman III

Hi there,

I think I found something very interesting.

I'm using a 960 Evo as my main drive with two hdd's for storage.

Just to see whether it would make a difference I installed a second Windows on one of those hdd's which was empty anyways. Installed FurMark which crashes the moment I start the GPU stress test on the ssd windows. Ran the test. Nothing except burning hot temps, I fixed those with msi afterburner. The test ran 20 minutes before I decided to just reinstall windows on the ssd, since its reasonable to want to use the ssd for windows. Guess what happened when I ran FurMark again. Yup, it crashed. Same behaviour as before. I installed Windows AGAIN but made sure that this time no hdd was connected up until the drivers were installed.

FurMark crashed all the same.

Neither Samsung Driver Update nor Firmware Update fixed the issue.

Why do the drivers crash on my ssd but not on the hdd?

Edit: My ssd is an NVMe, maybe that is causi g the problems?

Edit2: FurMark crashed after about 25-30 minutes on the hdd. Still better than instant crash though. I'll check the event viewer, maybe something caused that crash.

0 Likes
delltech1
Adept I

SETUP:

Sapphire RX 5700 XT - Accelero Extreme IV Cooler

MSI Z270 I7700K OC to 4.8 ghz

240hz Alienware monitor (DP cable)

PSU (EVGA Supernova G+ 650W Gold), connected 2 separate lanes to the card.

BIOS (fastboot is disabled), PCIE slot is on AUTO, it just have GEN1,2,3, btw i am using 2 nvme SSDs, so it works fine.

DRIVER:

Driver 19.7.5 - so far the most stable.

Temps around 66 degrees, FAN Speed around 30-40 percent, in Apex at 19 percent.

WHAT I DID:

1. Installed chipset driver using CMD as ADMIN (Intel), COMMAND: setupchipset.exe -overall (this should reinstall all drivers without skipping the newest ones).

2. Removed VEGA64, DDU in safe mode. Rebooted, installed latest driver, full install. Download msi afterburner (the new one which support 5700 series, 4.6.2 beta 2) and in Radeon Settings just set the enhanced sync to always off, no other settings touched.

Wolfestein (works fine), played for 2 hours, Apex - played just for 1.5 hour, around 6-7 games, no crashes, no black screens, no lagging, couldnt play it with 19.7.4. Afterburner was running all the time, didnt use wattman, do not even start it.

Afterburner settings - Power Limit +30, Core Clock 2044 (default), 1120mv voltage (just tested this one, didnt play with it), FAN speed on AUTO (Arctic Accelero Cooler).

I was monitoring all the temps, memory clock, core clock and so on....Like i said, no issues.

I am using the DP graphic card port on the left (installed in chasis), maybe it doesnt matter, just tested (the one at the bottom) when you are holding the card in hand.

0 Likes
blewclouds
Adept II

Has anyone updated to 19.8.1 yet?  I'm still under 19.7.5 and don't want to rock the boat that currently afloat.

0 Likes

Hi, I have installed the latest version. After the installation I had a blue screen, after that no error occurred anymore. But I am currently still testing. 

0 Likes
delltech1
Adept I

19.8.1 works fine. With afterburner apex flickers, without it works fine. 

0 Likes

Currently I have bluescreen problems after the driver update. While writing this comment, there were the following bluescreen errors: irql_not_less_or_equal

No game or application was started. Only the browser.

0 Likes

So you just normal update versus uninstall / reinstall?

0 Likes

This issue could occur if GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor or if the TDR setting is set too low. Delaying the TDR time can resolve the issue.
Try to follow this guide and tell if it helped: TDR fix

I had few BSoD event's with 5700xt when starting or exiting applications, never during the process and i knew 100% that my cpu and ram are stable, my psu has no issues and nothing is overheating. With the delayed TDR time i haven't  encountered single BSoD with this system anymore

0 Likes

Hello. Thanks for the answers. I have reinstalled the chipset driver and have no blue screen errors anymore. 

0 Likes
murtinez
Adept I

I got the same problem, spent hours reinstalling card. Getting bluescreens with "driver_irql_less_or_equal" and also one more that i didnt catch and computer freezes when i try to play games.

Using an Azus 370-M motherboard with 16Gb ram and an 8700k processor. Thermals look good.

0 Likes

My problems were resolved by using an AIO cooling solution which doesnt use the graphic card fan connector, 2 people on reddit have confirmed the same, no problems ever since. I am using Eiswolf gpx 240. Tested many games, like 15-20 including the latest titles  

0 Likes

LOL! if i spend 600€ for a GPU, i should not need to spend 100-200 more for water cooling the card! Horrible solution! AMD needs to fix their drivers, and asap

0 Likes
delltech1
Adept I

I spent 570€ for both,  graphic card + the cooler (Reference)

0 Likes

I have the Strix Rog one, bought it specifically because it have the 2 extra fan controllers and a massive heatsink. Thermals is not the problem, never hit even 80C.

0 Likes