Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

RX 5700 XT still crashing with 19.7.2

Jump to solution

As many other people here, I still get crashes with RX 5700 XT on the newest version (19.7.2). It's better than 19.7.1 where I couldn't start even CS:GO but it still has very severe issues.

For example, if I start Apex Legends, only after 1-4 seconds in the main menu, it crashes the entire system and causes reboot. The same occurs if I try to go to the options menu in Rainbow Six Siege. Also UserBenchmarks have stopped working for me, even though I could run them immediately after install. Now either its 1st or 3rd GPU test causes a system reboot.

I've tried to completely uninstall the driver with DDU, revert to 19.7.1, uninstall it, install 19.7.2 again, reinstall Windows, switch to PCIe3, set undervoltage, disable FreeSync and GPU scaling. When I remove RX 5700 XT and install my old GPU (GTX 960) everything works.

I hope this issue gets resolved as soon as possible because I have to fall back to my old GPU for now unless I want to crash my system every now and then.

My specifications: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT / MSI x570 Gaming Plus / 2x Corsair 8 Gb 3600 MHz / Corsair CX600 PSU

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: RX 5700 XT still crashing with 19.7.2

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for your response! I did try to reinstall the driver with DDU, unfortunately to no avail.

However, since apparently different sources list different recommended PSU outputs, I've tried to find out whether my PSU could be the issue. I've bought a 650W PSU instead of my old 600W and the system does not crash anymore. I still got black screen a couple of times in one game (Apex Legends, one time the screen went entirely black but the system still ran, and another time both my displays flickered black during a game but returned to the normal state soon afterwards) but everything else works now.

View solution in original post

66 Replies
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. Not only it crashes when I'm trying to run games it even crashes when I'm trying to watch a youtube video. (It even crashed when I was trying to run dxdiag). I can't even open discord.

I have tried to remove/update/downgrade driver even re-installed windows, but nothing helped me.

Threadripper 2950X, ASRock Taichi x399 (BIOS 3.50), Sapphire 5700 XT 19.7.2 drivers, Windows 10 Pro. Everything is running at stock.

Here I have attached the minidump file, the event from the event view, dxdiag result and one of the dxdiag crashes.

I can attach the full memory dump but it takes 1.5GB.

UPDATE: I've decided to rollback to 19.7.1 drivers and so far no crashes. At least I can watch youtube now. Haven't tried games yet.

UPDATE 2: Welp, it worked until I have restarted my PC now it's back to crashes. I have noticed that before crashing the GPU video decoding load get up to 100%.

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with the 5700XT.. My GTX 1060 6GB I upgraded from could run AC Odyssey at 1440p with 40 FPS and no stuttering. Now with the superior RX 5700 XT I'm crashing regularly and seeing huge frame drops (It can idle near 100 but then it'll randomly dip to nothing and or crash). In benchmarks for the game I'm only seeing a 17 FPS improvement on max frames, and an 11 FPS improvement on minimum frames. It's a shame that the lack of driver support for games is leaving this new graphics card underperforming compared to 3+ year old mid range cards. 

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I may have found a temporary work around, while doing some trouble shooting i decided to just extract the files from the driver package after removing 19.7.2 and using the extracted driver path in the AMD folder in the C: drive using device manager to just install the GPU drivers ditching the Adrenaline software while they fix everything. So far all my games are stable and there is no stuttering happening and no crashes, so if you can live without Wattman and the other features while AMD finds a fix you can try that.

Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I haven't encountered single crash on my RX 5700XT however Black Ops 4 is causing driver to crash. Windows will simply freeze but game will still work

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Refund the card and buy RTX card or wait for truly working drivers because so far we only have optional drivers that cause issues with literally every possible GPU

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Damn, I was ready to start celebrating, but then this happened.Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I tried without installing wattman but didn't make a difference for me. As I said games don't crash for me, the driver is crashing. Also I think there's memory leak on this card because you can't run textures on Ultra in black ops 4 because on High the vram usage is about 7.8GB, on Ultra it's stutterfest. On GTX 1080 I had 0 problems running shadows and textures on Ultra. Also I think overall BO4 runs worse than on my older 1080 and game just doesn't feel smooth overall. Even with freesync ON and locked fps it doesn't smeel smooth if I'm below 120fps, above that it's perfectly smooth but I have 75hz and 100fps feels like 60fps...

Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

This worked for me, but as of today it starts all over again. Whole PC locks up, blackscreen and reboots. I'm returning mine, i can't do anything like this.

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I had similar problems.

Reinstalled 1903, installed latest visual studio, directx, skipped for now antivirus and installed 19.7.2 per custom installation and skipped radeon Relive installation. (I have also installed Accelero Extreme IV as a cooling solution), played Apex for almost 7 hours without any problem. Touching wattman is causing problems, so i didnt change anything after the driver installation. Changing voltage, fan curve or anything else causes freezes and lockups, mostly when i press the win button the start menu and other opened programs are empty and i just see the background color, basically an empty window (pictures, text all is missing and soon the pc will crash). Not using wattman, changing anything helped.