cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sammyf1984
Adept I

RX 5700 xt Sapphire Nitro + stutter

I know the issue isn't with which 5700 xt you own.  The stutter seems to be any 5700 xt, I just haven't come across any posts about this particular card (although I'm sure they're out there)

On my last driver update (19.11.3) I saw what I'll refer to as a "disclaimer" that this stuttering is limited only to 1080p gaming...? Can someone tell me if that's accurate? 

Here's what I've noticed so far in my particular case (it seems to be different for everyone so take this as a grain of salt) 
-the stuttering is worst when I first load the game (lately i've been playing CoD mw) 
-the stuttering seems to only happen in high FPS games.  I tested Final Fantasy XV where i'm averaging 80-90frames on max settings and the game didn't skip a beat.
-enabling Freesync made it SIGNIFICANTLY worse

-dropping my computer settings to 120hz and keeping the game at 144hz seems to have reduced the amount of stutter I get but it still happens from time to time

-Swapping cables from DP to HDMI made 0 difference so I put DP back
-Global settings are as follows:
Anti-Aliasing - Use App setttings
Ant-Aliasing Method - Multi 
Morphological Filtering - Off
Anisotropic Filtering - Use App settings
Texture Filtering - Standard 
Surface Format - Off
Wait for vertical refresh - off
OpenGL Triple Buff - off
Shader Cache - Off
Tessellation - use app settings
Frame rate Target control - Disabled 

The less conflicts the card has with application settings, the better.  I'm still within return policy so AMD has about 30 days to iron this out until I come to a decision to pull the trigger and switch back to green.

0 Likes
1 Reply
ln25271
Adept I

I noticed that the stuttering in my case (same card with yours) was due to fan speed / target temperatures tweaking in wattman.

The only cure was to set a flat static fan speed of 50% (or even of 55%, does not matter) and set the temperature targets at:

p1=25c

p2=30c

p3=90c

p4=95c

p5=100c

With that workaround there is not any interference during the p. states transition because, actually there is no any transition at all as the temperature is always between 35c and 85c.

If that is the problem at your side, you can easily test it running a firestrike without even open the radeon software, keep a record of the graphic score and then tweak the fun speed as i suggested, apply the setting, close the software (do not keep it open, otherwise your score will be worst) and run again the firestrike bench. 

0 Likes