Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tombery
Journeyman III

RX 5700 XT performance and underclocking Issues BFV

Dear AMD Community, dear AMD support team,

I just bought myself a very new Radeon RX 5700 XT and I installed and downloaded the drivers yesterday. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by its strong performance and it delivers on almost every level, great card so far! But there is one flaw that is a still a thorn in my eye and I tried to figure it out all evening yesterday. For some reason the graphics card jumps weirdly with its core clock while playing Battlefield 5. Within one second it jumps to 1300 MHz, down to 300 MHz, up to 1200 MHz, etc.. The biggest problem with that is, that I can barely get above 80 fps (with huge fps spikes up and down), even though the card is never loaded by more than 50-60%. On all other games the card sticks at 90-95% load and so does the core clock. I also tried to install older drivers and toyed around with a few sliders to increase its performance, but nothing helped.

I have to say that this really annoys me, since I used to play BFV a lot these days. If I can not get rid of that issue, I might be forced to get another graphics card then.

I play on a 1080p 60 Hz Monitor (will change within the next weeks) with all graphic options on Ultra and DX12 on.

If you need anymore information, let me know. I will hand them over to you asap.

UPDATE:

I just updated my BIOS to its most recent version. I also deinstalled and removed every single registry entry done by AMD software and reinstalled the latest driver. Nothing helped but I figured a pattern. In certain games APEX the GPU clocks to its full potential almost perfectly but in BFV, BF1 and Hell let loose, it barely reaches 50% of its potential boost clock.

Kind regards,

Björn

My System:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Radeon RX 5700 XT Thicc by XFX
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Adrenalin 2020 19.12.3
  • Display Devices
    • One LCD 1080p 60Hz Acer Monitor, HDMI cable
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • MSI B450M PRO-M2, American Megatrends Inc. 17/12/2018
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 2700
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Be Quiet 750 W
  • RAM
    • 16GB
3 Replies
node31
Adept I

frostbite engine is one to blame here.. Same thing happens to me in anthem, and it happans to me with both RX 5700 XT and RTX 2070... So its not problem on AMD side... 

0 Likes
tombery
Journeyman III

Unfortunately it can not be that easy, since I found the same Issue with Hell Let Loose and Postscriptum, that both made in unreal engine.

0 Likes

Yes its not that easy becouse games with Frostbite are not only ones with bad optimization...  SW Jedi Fallen Order is on Unreal, but its also stutter fest with parts where both CPU and GPU do nothing, no matter of what GPU or CPU you have... AMD has some bad habit to do bugy drivers, but in some cases its not AMD fault...

0 Likes