Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

phill4444
Adept I

Re: RX 5700 XT memory clock stuck causing high temps when idle

Jump to solution

I am not ssure if you understand what this thread is about (no offense), I would not consider it normal if the GPU elavates the memory clock at maximum while doing nothing, even on two monitors.

0 Likes
oğuz
Adept I

Jump to solution

Same situation on my rx 5700 xt.

0 Likes
klopow
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

This is the same situation I am in. I'm running two monitors - one at 144hz and other at 60hz. With both plugged in, mem clock is at a constant 875MHz at idle. I unplugged the 60hz monitor, and the memory clock goes down to 100MHz at idle, with 144hz enabled. This decreased idle temps from 58-59C to 38-39C.

0 Likes
phill4444
Adept I

Jump to solution

Yea...which is a bummer, if i had know this is kind of standart for all amd gpu as it seems, I would have stayed to team green. I did not had this problem with the 970.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi

Is there a fix?

I am on a RX 480 running on 19.9.2 too and is also having this issue now

I am on dual monitor 1080p, 60hz (checked via monitor and display adapter settings in Windows)

changing the memory clock to 1750 mhz doesn't seem to change it either, it just stays at 2000mhz at idle

funny thing is, on boot it stays at 300mhz for around 5 minutes, then it jumps up to 2000mhz and stays that way till next boot. lol

My previous driver before updating to 19.9.2 was 19.4.3, and it didn't had this issue

0 Likes
nordvargr
Adept III

Jump to solution

I'm experiencing the same issue on my Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ and Adrenalin 19.10.2 drivers... I have 75hz AOC monitor (connected via HDMI 2.1 cable) but when I set 75hz refresh rate, memory clocks instantly hit 1750 MHz and GPU reaches almost 60°C while doing literally nothing!!! When I set 60hz on my monitor, memory clocks go down to 200 MHz and GPU temps normalize.

For almost a week I was wondering why I keep hearing the irritating sound of GPU fans turning on/off all the time, especially when I was doing literally nothing on my PC!

This is totally unacceptable, especially when you consider that it's been already 4 months since Navi launch.

0 Likes
deamhan
Adept I

Jump to solution

Are you talking about 4K monitor? As I understand, the issue taking place if you exceed some data rate limit (may be 4K @60 Hz is bound). If Im right, the max 2K idle refresh rate is 135 Hz ( (3840 * 2160*60)/(2560*1440) == 135) and 240 Hz for 1080p ( (3840 * 2160*60)/(1920*1080) == 240 ). For me on 120 Hz (2K) all works fine, and on 144 Hz I have the same issue as you described.

0 Likes
nordvargr
Adept III

Jump to solution

Nope.

My monitor is 1440p, 75 Hz (native) AOC Q3279VWF and right now I'm forced (by AMD's incompetence) to set 60hz refresh rate, because if I won't, then my 5700 XT Nitro+ acts as if I were playing a very demanding game, while I'm just staring at my desktop doing literally nothing.

And if AMD claims this is a normal behaviour for 5700 XT on 1440p and 75hz refresh rate (almost 60 c idle temp + fan stop turning on/off every few minutes and driving me crazy), then I will RMA this card within a blink of an eye and simply switch to NVIDIA.

oğuz
Adept I

Jump to solution

After some research, I found out that this has been around for years. I have learned that this is necessary for the 144 Hz and 240 Hz frequency. So this is not a problem, just a necessity. If you're having trouble with this, I suggest you run it at 120 Hz.
You can also look here;

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355108-144hz-monitor-causing-max-memory-clock/ 

deamhan
Adept I

Jump to solution

Does you monitor support DP? If yes, switching from HDMI to DP should resolve your problem (may be limit for hdmi is different...). It is cool if you can RMA card or something else in such cases, in post USSR countries it is impossible...

0 Likes