Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

andrard
Adept I

Re: RX 5700 XT memory clock stuck causing high temps when idle

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, yesterday my MSI 5700 XT Gaming X arrived and played with it a little bit and noticed two things that bothered me.

1. The first one and the most annoying is the VRAM Clock speed stuck at 1750Mhz when using my monitor native resolution (1920x1080) and refresh rate (144hz) while on the desktop doing absolutely nothing (idle temp is at 67 degrees with the fan at 0 rpm). As many of the previous replies in this thread mention i think this is definitely a bug.
My monitor is an ASUS VG248QE and i use this DP 1.4 cable using the latest driver version: 19.12.3
I tried adding a custom resolution from the radeon software and managed to have the 144hz work but i noticed i was limited to 6 bpc color depth exactly like what hawkeye said in a previous reply (here)...without any success i gave up and downloaded the CRU utility. With this utility i managed to keep my 8bpc but i couldn't have the 144hz refresh rate downclock the vram. What did the trick for me was the custom refresh rate of 143hz i added using CRU. Now the VRAM clock stays at 200 Mhz while i'm on my desktop watching youtube and browsing the web idling at 43 degrees
The only refresh rate that keeps the clock at 1750Mhz is the 144hz. The others (50,59,60,85,100,120) i have in the OS list are working as expected.

I totally disagree with the 'official' answer. To me it's mind boggling that the AMD staff don't want to acknowledge a pretty obvious bug...maybe this is a bug that cannot be solved with a simple software update? Or maybe fixing this causes another bug ?

2. The second problem is related to the FAN Tuning. I wanted to setup a fan curve but i noticed that i couldn't set the fan to stop if the temp is inferior to just say 50 degrees. Is it possible to do this ? The smallest value i could set was 10% in the fine tuning controls section. Another bug or is this intended as well ?

hawkeye
Adept III

Jump to solution

Regarding the second issue...again Amd software brilliance at it's finest. If you screw around with fan curve the zero rpm feature is gone. I don't know why, even amd doesn't seem to know why. Probably they'll say it's "expected behavior".

You can enable zero rpm again using more power tool from Igor's lab (search it on Google ) the downside is that every time you update the drivers you'll have to use it again and enable zero rpm again.

Some quick  info on using it:  you have to save your GPU bios to hdd using techpowerup gpu-z and load it in more power tool than you have to tick the zero rpm box and also modify the box from 0 to 1 that has zero rpm. Than click on write sppt and restart pc.

node31
Adept I

Jump to solution

"Driver engineering have looked into this and confirmed that it is expected behaviour for the memory clock of the 5700 XT to run at 875Mhz when using 144HZ refresh rate."

If that is an answer of  "Driver engineer" then its no wonder you cant get your drivers in order... You hire students to do work on drivers? How full VRAM speed can be normal in idle state? How can 64°c+ be normal in idle? How can 0.850v on Memory controler with 0% load be normal?  You gotta be kidding us right? I got Powercolor RX5700 XT red devil, and it really nice peace of hardware that is destroyed by bad drivers that goes from one bug to another with every new revison...Screenshot (84)_LI.jpg

pichurri
Adept I

Jump to solution

This problem is common in Radeon cards, but depends on what monitor you are using.

For example, I have a Radeon Rx 570 and a Geforce GTX 960 and two monitors, Viewsonic xg2401 and LG 27gl850, and this is what I've tested:

Radeon Rx 570 + Viewsonic xg2401 144hz = Memory 300 mhz

Radeon Rx 570 + Viewsonic xg2401 120hz = Memory 1750 mhz

Radeon Rx 570 + LG 27gl850 144hz = Memory 1750 mhz

Radeon Rx 570 + LG 27gl850 120hz = Memory 300 mhz

- Geforce GTX 960 + Viewsonic xg2401 144hz = Memory 415 mhz

- Geforce GTX 960 + Viewsonic xg2401 120hz = Memory 415 mhz

- Geforce GTX 960 + LG 27gl850 144hz = Memory 415 mhz

- Geforce GTX 960 + LG 27gl850 120hz = Memory 415 mhz

My Radeon card works fine at 144hz with the Viewsonic monitor but at 120hz the memory goes full speed.

Same Radeon card with LG monitor do the opposite, at 144hz memory goes full speed and at 120hz works fine.

The geforce card works fine with both monitors no matter the frecuency.

Therefore, it's obvious the Radeon card don't work properly with certain monitors and do well with others, and THIS IS NOT THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR FOR THE MEMORY CLOCK.

AMD should put more attention to bugs like this and stop adding useless features that nobody cares about to their adrenaling drivers.

nordvargr
Adept III

Jump to solution

I just wanted to add that this issue is not limited to 120hz and 144hz monitors, some people (myself included) who use 75hz monitor, are also affected.

Previously I had Geforce RTX 2060 SUPER and I could use my monitor's native refresh rate without any problems whatsoever (now I really regret selling it and switching to 5700 XT).

This definitely looks like a driver issue, but, unfortunately, the so called "AMD driver engineers" are busy with adding "features" (bloatware) that no one needs, instead of concentrating on fixing crucial issues.

And yes, this issue is really crucial, because A) it compromises the fan stop function, i.e. fans are turning on/off all the time due to idle memory clock temperature fluctuations, this obviously generates a lot of unnecessary & irritating noise B) it shortens GPU's lifespan (card temp. is constantly well above 60°C in idle!) and C) it causes higher energy bills!

unclehamish
Adept I

Jump to solution

All drivers after 19.11.3 have VRAM issues for me: 19.12.1/2/3 if two monitors are used VRAM is stuck on 850Mhz on idle. With the new 1.1.20 driver my VRAM is running at 1750Mhz on idle. So its back to 19.11.3 for me. For such a large change log, I expected AMD to fix what is a widespread bug.

xcoool
Adept II

Jump to solution

Amd released 20.1.1 today, solved nothing.

There are still so many bugs, they dont even bother to acknowledge memory

stuck at max clock as problem...

crusi
Adept II

Jump to solution

20.1.2 and still the RX 5700 doesnt clock down in idle at 75Hz monitor! still unnecessary hot and loud
only change to 60Hz helps. but i bought a 75Hz monitor to use it, so PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!!

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

We have confirmed that this is expected behaviour for 144HZ displays, however i have passed your feedback regarding 75HZ displays to engineering for investigation. 

0 Likes
xcoool
Adept II

Jump to solution

Please ask driver team, how come they forgot to inform board partners about

intended extreme idle power requirements.

I have sapphire 5700xt nitro+ and powercolor red dragon. Both massive

coolers switching fans on and off every couple of minutes. According to

customer support of both companies, memory is suppose to downclock and it

is a driver issue. Not to mention in my case memory is stuck with one

monitor at any given refresh rate,including 60hz!