Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

hawkeye
Adept III

Re: RX 5700 XT memory clock stuck causing high temps when idle

Jump to solution

Well if I run my monitor on native 1440p@144Hz memory is maxed out. If I lower the refresh to 120 or lower the memory is 200 MHz. I have this problem Only on 144Hz...strange that you get this behavior with every refresh rate...

0 Likes
xcoool
Adept II

Jump to solution

You mean CRU?Supported refresh rates are slightly different with Nvidia and AMD drivers.Windows has nothing to do with it unless you use basic graphic adapter driver. By latest monitor you mean freesync 2? There is nothing special about it,except LFC and HDR support are required unlike in case of freesync 1. My monitors have freesync 1 with LFC, problem is as stated previously my card's memory wont idle at 1440p (60,120,144hz) with single monitor,but has no problem with 3 monitors running1080p@60hz . Looks like a driver issue to me.

0 Likes
xcoool
Adept II

Jump to solution

Yes,i noticed. I was googling for couple of hours,it seems driver engineering team has absolutely no clue what is or isn't intended memory behavior . As ppl can run monitors @144hz without problems,multiple monitors @144hz without problems. Some @120hz, some @100hz and some like me, cant do any refresh rate at 1440p...unless i want my card to idle 60w+. 1080p@60hz isn't really an option on 32inch monitor...

hawkeye
Adept III

Jump to solution

I finally fixed this probnlem with CRU.

This solution is for people having a single 1440p 144Hz monitor and experiencing max memory clocks only on 144 refresh rate, I don't know about dual monitors and people having max memory on all refresh rates.

My monitor is an Acer XV272U but I believe this should work with any 1440p monitor that has 144 refresh rate.

So I opened up CRU and put standard LCD settings from the drop down menu(don't apply yet) than go to manual again and edit the pixel clock to 596MHz and than hit ok to apply settings and restart computer.

So yeah you lose 2Hz but 142 Hz refresh rate is still better than 120Hz and for those asking why i didn't leave the LCD standard settings alone and have 144Hz that's because that was not working in my case.

navi.jpg

Shoutout to that AMD engineer who said that max memory clocks is "expected behavior" with the card sitting at idle,

i fixed it in your place, maybe you do an official fix in the drivers soon ?

xcoool
Adept II

Jump to solution

It depends on monitor. I cant run your standard LCD settings as my monitor is 1440p 144hz VA panel.Using 1080p @ 60hz resolution/refresh rate i can run 3x monitors and memory will go to 200mhz. You can try new adrenalin 2020 Display settings > custom resolution > create new > 144hz with timing standard CVT - reduced blanking. That works on for a single monitor usually,without need to lower a refresh rate. However  i didnt find a solution for multiple monitors. It is painfully obvious it is a driver issue,not an intended behavior as there is not a single  rx 5700 xt with cooler big enough to passively cool 60w+. My sapphire nitro+ fans spinning on and off fans every couple of minutes is pretty annoying considering my case is extremely well ventilated with 12 fans.

nordvargr
Adept III

Jump to solution

Unfortunately this issue also affects 75Hz monitors.

0 Likes
xcoool
Adept II

Jump to solution

Have you tried  a custom resolution in new adrenalin 2020? Display settings > custom resolution > create new > refresh rate 75hz and change timing standard to CVT - reduced blanking > create .

0 Likes
hawkeye
Adept III

Jump to solution

My monitor uses an IPS panel, don't know if that makes a difference but in my case using any custom resolution (cvt or cvt- reduced banking) in radeon settings does not make any difference with memory clocks or it just says that the custom resolution settings are not compatible with my display so that doesn't work for me. I tried many settings and the only one that works is that from above.

I know that multiple monitors still don't work with this solution, and I hope that they release an official statement regarding this issue and inform us why exactly this is happening with some monitors and with others not. Communicating is better than just throwing some random working as expected BS.

0 Likes
nordvargr
Adept III

Jump to solution

I tried setting custom resolution just like you suggested, but clocks are still stuck at 1750Mhz.

0 Likes
xcoool
Adept II

Jump to solution

Yes it does make difference. I would expect IPS to have totally different timings and clocks. What works for IPS wont for VA panel and vice versa.That actually is a root of our problems with memory clocks.Driver is suppose to "synchronize" (simplified term) memory clock with refresh rate of your monitor's pixels and it seems AMD driver can do it only for limited amount of monitors. Therefore AMD driver keeps memory clock elevated at all times so it can prevent monitors to flash/strobe. As mentioned before Nvidia had same issue, but at least they acknowledged it and then found a solution.