Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: RX 5700 XT memory clock stuck causing high temps when idle

Jump to solution

Can you send me a private message with the EDID information for your monitor and i will look into it?

0 Likes
nordvargr
Adept III

Jump to solution

Done.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Jump to solution

I can say thats incorrect. My 144hz monitor in both standard and HDR has a 100mhz memory idle only when used alone. When my 2nd monitor is powered on, memory runs at the max set speed.

2019.11.06-21.57.png

2019.11.06-21.59_01.png

0 Likes
al3x4pc
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

This is an issue, and need a drivers fix. It's not accetable this solution.
144hz is a standard for gaming monitor and at idle the memory clock must goes down, come on  !

nin
Adept II

Jump to solution

i like this "its an expected behavior" more than i should , its quiet funny how often i read this about the new navi gen

maxax
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

That workaround really works. Thanks, buddy.         

0 Likes
hawkeye
Adept III

Jump to solution

Yeah it's normal when running a 3D app or something, but this is not normal when i'm just sitting on my desktop and browsing the web or doing nothing. My computer just sitting on idle doing nothing and the memory is running maxed out 1750MHz to the point that the fans start spinning like i'm in a game...the memory temp reaches almost 75 C just with the card sitting idle. Don't insult our common sense with this kind of treatment telling us that this is expected behavior. This is a bug with 75Hz and 144Hz on some monitors and your QA team must do a better job.

firegryph
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Is there a reason why, though?   I can understand that this is not a bug or glitch or anything, but why would this card need to run like this, in this situation?  Surely it's powerful enough to run 144hz without maxing out the memory clock constantly.

0 Likes
deamhan
Adept I

Jump to solution

You are absolutelly right. On my previous GTX 1060 there is no issuies on 144 Hz, power consumption was the same or almost the same as 60 Hz.

0 Likes
hawkeye
Adept III

Jump to solution

Yeah, I think this is a lazy workaround in their drivers in their attept to fix flickering on some 144Hz monitors. Surely it's not supposed to run at Max memory clocks, wasting energy (it draws 30w instead of ~6w) causing to card to run hot when idling. This is expected behavior in the way that it was designed to run like this to prevent some other issues but it's not an acceptable solution imho. They need to proper fix the 144hz memory clocks.

0 Likes