Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

firegryph
Journeyman III

Re: RX 5700 XT memory clock stuck causing high temps when idle

Jump to solution

Further update:  I replaced my Samsung 60 Hz HDMI with a new 27" 144Hz running on DP.  This did not resolve my issue at all.   Setting either, or both, monitors to 144Hz locked the memory clock speed at 1750, giving me a hefty 10C idle temp jump, and thats with an even more aggressive fan curve. 

I ran it for a month or so at that, allowing the mem clock to remain at 1750.    Then, on a whim, I reduced the refresh rate to 120 on both monitors, and suddenly the memory clock speed dropped to 200 mHz!   The only other changes I had made since were to change my RAM, and made sure Enhanced Sync and Super Virtual Resolution were disabled.  I am even still using the 19.8.1 drivers, since all drivers after were giving me various issues.

Now, one of the funny things was that after I played a couple games of LoL, I was back to desktop...  and my memory clock locked itself back to 1750.   I dont know what caused this, I'll keep a closer eye on it in the future, but it sure seems strange.   After a reboot of the PC, memory clocks are once again showing at 200 mHz in GPU-Z.   Idle temp is a measly 31.0C.

Radeon Display settings Oct 20 2019.png

0 Likes
infamous81
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I had to RMA my card, I gave up waiting for a solution from AMD. I tried everything I could and the only thing that helped was lowering the refresh rate on my 144hz monitor to 120. Dropped the temps from 50 degrees idle to 35. Anyways, I replaced my Red Devil 5700xt with a MSI 2070 Super X and I'm happy. Max temps with the MSI is 65 degrees and it idles at 32. I liked the Red Devil just wish the drivers were better with AMD.

0 Likes
koszalek
Adept III

Jump to solution

I solved problems with buying a new monitor from freesync 2 and now works ok, unfortunately the drivers from AMD are not well developed, NVIDIA 2-3 years ago had similar problems

0 Likes
phill4444
Adept I

Jump to solution

The problem is still there with 19.10.2

First monitor 2560 x 1440 @60hz

Second monitor 2560 x 1440 @60hz

everything is fine with 19.8.2 driver, at least for me, which is a bummer because with that i can not use the benefits of 19.10.2 for The Outer Worlds....

0 Likes
krosis86
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Ok so I had the same issue for the longest time with my 5700(non XT), causing a lot of BSODs. But I think I managed to fix it today!

What I did was I changed the PCI 1 slot setting in my bios from Auto to GEN 3. And this is the result!

My Wattman graphs before:

AMDbefo.PNG

My wattman graphs after:

AMDafter.PNG

Before my memory speed was constantly spiking to 875mhz but now it's mostly at 100 mhz with occasional spikes to 500 mhz. Temperatures have not changed for me in idle (fans only turn on in-game) but I think this should hopefully resolve the constant BSODs that I've been having.

My settings:

AMDsettings.PNG

AMDsettings1.PNG

My system info:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600

MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX

GPU: Gigabyte RX5700 GAMING OC 8gb (Driver version 19.10.2)

RAM: Corsair 16 gb DDR4 3200 mhz

PSU: Corsair RM650x GOLD

averey
Adept II

Jump to solution

Have this issue as well, with drivers 19.10.2, on Asus Strix RX 5700 XT. If not changing down to 120 hz refresh rate, memory clock remains at 875 hz. Have a FreeSync 144 hz LG24GM79G panel. Reverted to 19.9.3 patch, as games were crashing on 19.10.2 

So far Battlefront 2 crashes on 19.9.3 as well. I hope they will find a solution, the problem persists through so many drivers.

0 Likes
alseu
Challenger

Jump to solution

Hello!
Unfortunately the answer here looks to be that maxed memory frequency with higher powerdraw when idle is normal. 
There are no further explanations given but it (officially) isn't considered as a problem.memory freq.bmp

I started to have crashes/black screens with 5700xt since 19.9.3, it was all fine before. In my case it was purely related to the hardware acceleraton option in discord (settings - appearance - hardware acceleration). Haven't tested with 19.10.2 , but almost sure that the issue is still here since it's considered as "fixed" driver notes.bmp

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Jump to solution

I dont know about that amdmatt reply. When I run my 144hz monitor alone, memory idles to 100mhz

mack0y
Elite

Jump to solution

What's your monitor? 

RX 5700XT
0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Jump to solution
0 Likes