Did you mean: 

Graphics

alseu
Challenger

Re: RX 5700 XT memory clock stuck causing high temps when idle

Jump to solution

Hey there! Interesting..
For me it doesn't solve the issue.
19.9.1 - all the same: 144hz - memory is at max clock at all times, 120hz - memory is idling at 100mhz.
Considering what Kafka has found on the topic with custom resolution, it shouldn't be hard at all to fix or at least to comment on the problem with possible solutions. 

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Jump to solution

No dice with doing that. As long as 2nd monitor is on, memory is maxed.

0 Likes
firegryph
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Ive gone back to drivers 19.8.1 since I had issues in LoL with 19.8.2.  

But I tried as infamous81 said, going into the AMD radeon settings for my displays, after turning my primary monitor back to 144hz.   Turning the monitor to 144 locked the clock speed at 1750, sure enough.  However, when I turned Virtual Super Resolution on, memory clocks immediately dropped to 200.  I get various spikes to 1000, but for the most part it idles at 200 now for me.

Radeon Settings dual monitor.png

gpu-z readings.png

0 Likes
infamous81
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

After further review it’s not working. When I turn on and off at 144h Virtual Resolution it drops my refresh rate to 60h and that’s why my memory clocks drop as well. Virtual Resolution shouldn’t change my refresh rate I don’t think. Anyways, seems like only dropping my refresh rate to 60 will drop the clocks

0 Likes
firegryph
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Ahhh, yes, I guess I can confirm this now too.  I forgot to check the refresh rate after turning Virtual Resolution on, and yeah, it went back to 60.    Turning it up to 144Hz once again jumped mem clock to 1750.  Frustrating.

0 Likes
infamous81
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I was using a Display Port cable and the memory clocks would only drop to 200 if I set my display to 60hz.

Just switched to a hdmi cable and at 144hz it was still locked at 1750 memory clock. If I drop the refresh rate to 120hz it now goes down to 200 and isn't stuck anymore. I guess 120hz is better than nothing for now, still very frustrating indeed and hope there's a way for them to fix this...

0 Likes
alseu
Challenger

Jump to solution

When you guys posted your observations i've discovered another interesting thing.
I had a pretty stable build for 6-7 weeks (Ryzen 3600, MSI B450 with latest NON beta bios, 2*8 DDR 4 at 3600 mhz, reference Sapphire 5700 xt, sata ssd). I had pci-e gen on auto setting in bios which tranlsated into gen4 since it didn't give me any instability or crashes and had hardware accel enabled in chrome and steam. At the very beginning i had "IRQL not less or equall" BSoD couple times when starting or exiting applications and fixed it by increasing the TDR delay time to 8 in windows registry. Since that there were no crashes, black screens or BSoD, but the issue with memory clock at it's max state with 144hz refresh rate was there all time - at any moment (idling, playing games or watching movies) memory clock was at 875mhz.
So far so good, i decided to test the system at 120hz refresh rate since i knew that it can fix memory clock problem and it does. I logged into Remnant of the ashes game and after ~10 minutes got a black screen crash with the entire system hard reset when i was switching location within the game. 
Hardware temperatures were monitored all time and everything was fine (cpu below 60c, gpu~77c, junction ~90c).
Framerate was locked at 120 by ingame setting and the only difference compared to my previous set up (that was known stable for almost 2 months)  was that during the loading screen ingame memory clock dropped below it's max value of 875 mhz.

0 Likes
firegryph
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Well now Ive run into a few issues.  The 5700xt has 3x display port ports, and 1x HDMI.  The HDMI is in use for my secondary monitor, as said monitor doesnt have much else in the way of connectivity.  So I cant just swap out unless I want to ditch the second monitor.  For the purposes of testing I will try it tomorrow, and maybe find another cable.

However, I did happen to have a DVI dual link cable, and a display port to DVI adapter.  Strange thing, though, if I use it for my primary display, the monitor only gets a signal during boot and in safe mode.  Once windows loads, no signal to the display.    If I uninstall the display drivers entirely, the display works again.  

But thats a totally different issue.

0 Likes
infamous81
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Well I hope someone from AMD looks at this thread and will report the issue to the driver team for investigation.

* Update, Just got a new monitor to see if anything would change. Same issue with the new monitor, memory clock stuck at 1750mhz and high temps unless refresh rate is lowered.

0 Likes
koszalek
Adept III

Jump to solution
changemonitor refresh rate below 144hz, it will be ok

changechange

0 Likes