Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

alseu
Challenger

Re: RX 5700 XT memory clock stuck causing high temps when idle

Jump to solution

In my case disabling freesync (my monitor doesn't support HDR or "fake HDR" therefore it doesn't support freesync 2) doesn't change anything but setting it to 60 hz or 120 hz does. 75hz and 144hz modes are still having memory clocks elevated to it's max state.
Retested with vega 56 - no problems.

0 Likes
firegryph
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I can throw my experience in here as well, I think.

I use a BenQ KL2720Z 27" 144hz gaming monitor for my primary display, and a Samsung S27D390 27" 60hz for secondary. 

Graphics card is a Radeon 5700xt, latest drivers (19.8.2)

If I set the BenQ to 144hz, my card locks in at 1750 memory clock.  This tends to raise the idle temp by about 10C.   But if I leave the BenQ at 60hz refresh, the memory clocks lower and adjust automatically.

Recent testing, however, shows that even if I only have the BenQ connected, a single display, and set to 144hz the memory clock is locked at 1750.  So secondary monitor appears not to make a difference.

0 Likes
kafka
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

HI. here I found a better solution to overcome the problem. 

I have an 34 Inch Widescreen 100hz Refresh rate.

What I did was download CRU and overclock my monitor up to 110hz. Restart PC and enjoy. Now the problem is gone. Gpu Memory drops down to 100hz (watmann) Temps and power consumption also drops.

Before the overclock I had to  downgrade the resolution along the refresh rate in order for the memory clock to go down. 

lelouchvibrittania3
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Which monitor freq do you use? Here I have Dell Alienware 240hz and when I put in 240hz with the last driver it stuck the memory clock at 875 and soon after presents BSOD. At 144hz the clock is 100mhz and all problems are over, but I want to use the 240hz .

And I have a test for you too I found out guys: For those who use custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner, activates it and puts the monitor at maximum frequency, in my case was 240hz, the screen has flickering, when disable the fan curve of MSI after the problem with flickering is over. So, MSI curve fan have bad compatibillity with high freqs.

I hope the AMD solve this asap. I want to use my 240hz, now i'm using 144hz and mem clock its 100mhz.

0 Likes
firegryph
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I had flickering screen issues as well whenever I used either MSI afterburner or Asus GPU Tweak 2 to alter the fan curve. A black flicker every few seconds. This was when I had my monitor frequency set to 144, and I could solve the flickering by restoring defaults.  Ive never had issues changing fan curve settings with Wattman.

Also, using the latest drivers, 19.8.2, I had issues in League of Legends with graphics not loading, black boxes, then hard locks first of the League Client, then causing both my monitors to go fully black, shut down, then my PC would restart.   Ive since rolled back to 19.8.1 and Ive had no more issues as those, yet the issue of mem clock locked at 1750 remains if I set my monitor to anything above 60hz.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Personally, I stopped trusting and using MSI Afterburner to change GPU settings once AMD added the ability to its own software, too late mind you, and dont know why anyone would continue anything other than Radeon Settings to alter AMD GPU settings.

0 Likes
vapormontey
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hi, I've two monitors: one 1440p 144Hz with FreeSync connected with DP and a generic 1080p 60Hz connected with HDMI. Disconnecting the 1080p monitor from the RX 5700 XT resolve the issue. The latest 19.9.1 drivers won't fix the issue.

shinkojiro
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Turning off my 2nd monitor causes the memory to idle down to 100mhz. Seems part of it is multi-monitor related... seems to be a lot of multi-monitor related issues going on with AMD GPU since Radeon VII

Turning off my main monitor instead and using Secondary monitor also causes the memory to idle down to 100mhz. Purely down to using 2 or more monitors me thinks.

shinkojiro
Miniboss

Jump to solution

I wager, since the card is actually consuming about 30w more power when a 2nd monitor is attached and powered on, that gaming performance with the 2nd monitor on is possibly being hampered a bit.

0 Likes
infamous81
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

So something I tried is I went into "Display" in the AMD settings. Turned on and off Freesync like someone mentioned

and nothing happened. Then I turned on and off "Virtual Super Resolution" and my memory clocks dropped down to 200 from being stuck at 1750. Someone else try this and see if it works as well...

My idle temps are dropping from 56 down to 42 and the power draw is at 8.0w.

0 Likes