cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

benh72
Adept I

RX 5700 XT issues with Mass Effect Andromeda and Skyrim

So I just put together my new rig with a Ryzen 3900X, X570 chipset (Asus Strix) and Radeon RX5700 XT (Asus as well). Windows 10 64-bit fully updated, driver 19.7.2.

I tried a couple of my games and in both case (Skyrim SE and ME Andromeda) I get "artifact" flashing over the rendering, ie bits of the scene that seem to render with incorrect bridge colors for a frame then go back to normal, it's very very annoying and effectively renders those games unplayable.

14 Replies
mainakcrixallis
Adept III

Hey. The problem can be that your GPU is stock and it has stupid voltage set at it by default.  Undervolt your card. The game is an excellent benchmark. Also. Raise power limit as your GPU will clock higher and be stable as you undervolt.  In case of black screen  the one which I got in my XT when I undervolted a bit too much is.  Disable freesync and enhanced sync.    Good luck.  I have 1.025 on vcore at 1900mhz target clock.  I use an ancient CPU i7 2600k. So my GPU howvers arounc 1775-1860 mostly. 1775 when changing sequences   good luck. 

0 Likes

I brought the max freq down to 1600 and voltage around 889mV, and I have the same problem. In fact, if I run skyrim in a window, I can see those artifacts come and go on the rest of the screen, outside of the game window as well, regardless of frequency or voltage. I wonder if the card is faulty...

Ignore me, I forgot to "apply". I'm limiting to 1800Mhz 1.070V now and all artifacts are gone

So it's interesting, I have a different issue. I've been playing around and I can get rid of the Skyrim artifacts by *overvolting* it. I need to keep the voltage a bit higher than what it recommends for a given frequency. If I reduce it, here come the artifacts.  I can run it at 2000Mhz for example if push it to 1250mV.

With Mass Effect, it's similar, though I have to bring it further down. I can get some thing generally clean if I limit it to 1900Mhz and leave the volts at the max line of 1200mV.

Do you reckon I have a broken card ?

0 Likes

Actually ... the specs on AMD web site for the 5700XT non-Anniversary edition say:

Game Frequency: 1625 MHzBoost Frequency: Up to 1725 MHzBase Frequency: 1465 MHz

Could it simply be that the driver is picking way too high peak frequencies by default ? Bad tables in the (ASUS) ROM ?

0 Likes

Haha. Np. 1.072 will do 1950. Try 

0 Likes

Not with my card :-) Mass Effect Andromeda is a mess of colorful blotches with that setting. If I leave the freq at 1950, the blotches start disappearing around 1200mV but I need to push all the way to 1253mV for them to mostly go away (I say mostly as I still have an occasional one or two coming up every now and then).

0 Likes

RMA it.  Its faulty. 

0 Likes

But is it ?

Imean, the card is sold to boost only to 1725Mhz after all ... It's not an anniversary edition. I don't see what ground I have to RMA... The interesting question is why is the driver trying to overclock it way beyond its ability by default ?

Could it be some bad limits in ASUS ROM ? A driver bug ?

0 Likes

What I recommend you is  try running the card at 1900mhz. On 1.1 volts. And see if it artifacts. If it does. Just RMA it.  Even the worst silicon can maintain 1900mhz as limit and however around 1800-1850. 

0 Likes

If drivers were that broken. Then I would have had same case. But it's not.  Also. Your psu should be a good 650w. 

0 Likes

Yeah I think you're right. Even at 1600Mhz I have to pump the volts all the way, and I get artifacts even on windows desktop and login screen today, it's getting worse. I think the card is bad, waiting for ASUS to authorize the RMA. My PSU is 750W.

0 Likes

It's better to rma before it gets worse.  I'm from India. I picked up a sapphire xt for cheap. Maybe if they refund try sapphire? 

0 Likes
mainakcrixallis
Adept III

You can give it a last shot is . DDU everything . and reinstall fresh . disable enhanced sync . freesync etc .. and see if same . and also . change pcie in bios from gen 4 to gen 3

0 Likes