cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mirage_du
Journeyman III

RX 5700 XT fan speed curve gets override by card?

Hi,

First here is my Setup:

CPU: Intel i7-4790K

Mainboard: Asus Z97-Pro

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133 MHz CL 9

GPU: Radeon RX 5700 XT

Power Supply: Corsair RM650i

I bought the new RX 5700 XT, and i like it. But the stock cooler obviously isn't that great. But I still had the Rajintek Morpheus cooler equiped with two Noisblocker eLoop B12-P from my old R9 290X. So i swapped the cooler and it works well.

But I have problems using a custom fan speed curve.

The morpheus holds the gpu at 60°C with ease. So that is the point where I want the fans to spin with the appropriate speed to cool the memory and VRM. I want it to stay at about 1400-1500 rpm. That would be ~30% PWM because the card gets a bit whacky here and reaches max rpm of the fans at about 40%, wich would equal 2000 rpm.

So I adjusted the fan curve in wattman to sit at 30% at 60°C. When I start a game or benchmark, the fans beginn spinning higher and reach the desired rpm. But after about 4-5 minutes the card beginns zu slow them down in 1% steps, so they slow down to their lowest rpm state (800 rpm). As a result the card gets hotter and especially the memory sensor reaches over 95°C because of that.

That was with the driver version 19.7.1. I tried 19.7.2 and at first it seemed to help, but it just took a little bit longer till the slowdown started.

0 Likes
3 Replies
mirage_du
Journeyman III

Sorry for to much text, didn't know not everything will get posted, here is the rest:

---------------------------------------

It seems as if the the card by itself notices that the GPU is only at 60°C and decides on it's own to slow down the fans because there is a hidden target temperature or something like that (there is no target temperature setting in Wattman).

I believe this is called fuzzy logic.

I also tried to use MSI Afterburner to make that custom fan curve, but Afterburner just interacts with Wattman and makes changes there, so the result is the same.

Is there a possibility to prohibit the card/driver from slowing down the fans just because the GPU is cold and respecting the fan curve?

0 Likes

How did you even get 30% of fan speed in Wattman ! I have 44% and that's the minimum

0 Likes
александр_
Journeyman III

У меня проблема в том что кулеры наоборт работают постоянно даже при температуре видеокарты в 44С на 900 оборотах при том что если их вообше выкинуть температура не поднимется в моем корпусе выше 55 ни при каких обстоятельствах знаю потому что какое то время он работал как должен не включался до 60С

0 Likes