cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

leng
Journeyman III

RX 5700 XT driver crashing/restarting problem.

GPU: XFX RX 5700 XT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX - I Gaming (ITX)

PSU: CORSAIR RM650X

RAM: 32 GB

SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

With this setting,  the video driver keep stopping and restarting in normal use: web browsing, watching video, play simple games.  Update the driver to the latest, or install a several version back, no effect.

However, running the same hardware with an existing Windows 10 Pro installation (Samsung 850 Pro) with same driver installed, everything ran fine, even under heavy gaming load.  

Anyone experience similar?  Could it be specific to XFX?

0 Likes
4 Replies
byebyekansas
Adept I

I was about to give up with a Sphire Nitro+ 5700 XT. Random reboots when playing, using windows etc. Tried all possible drivers, tricks, windows hacks. Nothing.

Then, I found a post about undervolting the card, I was suspecting a PSU problem, but having a 750 PSU when the recomended setting is 600W, I didn't want to believe. I tested the undervolting and the card started to work better, to the point I was able to play with not crashes. I ended up replacing my 750W bronze PSU for a 850W gold rated PSU. Clean windows install, latest drivers, everything worked as it is supposed to.

Hope this help someone else.

MOBO: Tomahawk 450B

CARD: Saphire nitro+ rt 57000 xt

RAM: 32 GB Corsair LPX DD4 3200

PROC: Ryzen 7 2700x

Water Cooling: ML240

PSU: Corsair RM850x

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it with a beefier PSU.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 1:41 PM byebyekansas <amd-external@jiveon.com>

0 Likes

You are welcome. But before trying a new PSU, use watman to undervolt the card and check if that  solve the problem. around 1900Mhz should be fine. You can find undervolt set-ups on Google. If the card start working fine, go for the PSU.

0 Likes
leng
Journeyman III

This is the fixed (so far so good) I got from the community.  I too use a riser cable.  It seems the riser cable is not compatible with PCIe 4.0.  By changing the PCIe 16 setting in the BIOS to GEN 3, it is stable.  The Adrenaline driver doesn't crashes anymore. 

0 Likes