cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hundreds100
Adept I

RX 5700 XT constant driver crashes

Hey so I recently purchased a RX 5700 XT Sapphire Pulse edition, and I am having constant driver / system crashes. I have reinstalled my graphic and chipset drivers to no avail. The crashes constantly result in my screen going black and the application crashing or hanging forcing me to use Task Manager to end them. It is really frustrating when I am playing games only to be interrupted by these sorts of crashes, especially in competitive games like Dota 2. Is there any fix I can try for this or must I wait for new drivers.

Thanks!

Specs:

R5 1600

Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT

16 GB Corsair Vengence 3200mhz DDR4

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic.

Radeon edition: 19.8.2

36 Replies
capt_negev
Adept I

I Have The same Problem

Amd 1800x

ASUS ROG Radeon RX 5700 XT OC

Asus Crosshair vi wifi latest bios

lg 21:9 75hz freesynk screen

Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.8.2

0 Likes
kinooutlaw
Adept I

I had Sort of the Same Problem but only with Amd Software it would Freeze and I would have to use Task Manager to close it and reopen was really frustrating when you change 1 setting and have to restart to change another hoping it saved.

I installed drivers using DDU all the correct steps etc with no luck at all ended up doing a clean install of windows and it fixed my problem! Guess Windows didn't like me Changing from Nvidia Hardware to AMD Hardware!

I'm not sure this will work for you because I'm getting the feeling your system is unstable and it is not the graphics card or Graphics Drivers!   I'm guessing it is a memory problem because sounds similar to a problem I had with recent memory that required me to manually set everything in the bios to get it stable even though it read the XMP profile it just wouldn't work for crap and there was always something that wasn't right like Command rate getting changed to 2 even though it should have been 1 and it works for a while then be something else only way I could never get it to stay stable was hard setting the numbers in the bios and now its fine!  Turning on xmp or game limit options never worked yea I could load into windows everything seemed fine but certain games or task it would happen a Black Screen and I had to restart the game or whatever I was doing by closing in task manager. 

I could be totally wrong but wouldn't hurt to a Stability test on your memory! If your memory fails the stability test you found your problem.

Any kind of self auto clocking option on motherboards is crap and not worth using they can change from boot up to boot up.  MSI-Game Try It and Game Try it limit are crap!!!!!!! NOT SAYING you are using but worth a shot if you are still having problems to try anything I would in your shoes! Stability Test everything Rule it out!

0 Likes

my system was fine with my vega no mem test is needet only change was from vega 64 to 5700 xt

0 Likes

Did you ever run a mem test when you had the vega in? If not, It doesn't

mean anything you could have had the problem then but just never noticed

because of its different architecture and it didn't access the memory like

5700xt does that showed its unstable and causing it to crash.

Either way doesn't hurt to run a test! if you run different stability test

and it only crashes on GPU its graphics cards(send it back) if it crashes

on memory its memory if it crashes on something else it that! Not like it

would hurt anything to test. Doesn't mean jack because it worked before my

system was working just fine until I installed new hardware and found my

memory problem worked with old didn't with new until I set it upright. If

you're not willing to figure out what is wrong maybe you should just RMA

the card try a new one if that works you fixed if not guess you should try

figuring it out or just put the vega back in it seems to work with unstable

setup.

0 Likes
bryan93
Adept I

Me too as soon as I launch a game my computer restarts for no reason;( I think these graphics drivers or am I wrong?

0 Likes
chandtavirs
Adept I

I too have the same issue. 

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite WiFi

RAM: 16GB Gskill Tridentz 3200MHz

Intel 660p 2TB m.2 nvme drive

GPU: Gigabyte Rx 5700 xt Gaming OC (driver version 19.9.2 which is the latest one)

PSU: Season 650W 80 plus gold

The gpu keeps crashing/black screens in games (Shadow of the tomb raider, forza 4 horizon, Gears 5, etc. at any preset) with the dxgi error device hung message. But I'm able to run Furmark benchmark with the 1440p preset without any issues whatsoever. I did a fresh install of windows, uninstalled drivers using DDU and installed the latest one multiple times. At this point I'm out of ideas. Please help.

bryan93
Adept I

My computer only restarts.

catbox
Journeyman III

I'm also getting video driver crashes.

Some windows I have will go black or my whole screen will go black.  Sometimes it come out of it but usually I have to reboot.

R7 3700X

Aorus x570 Elite

Gigabyte 5700 XT 8GB OC

Same issue here. Running out of ideas. GPU works fine on another system. Tried a different PSU as well, but no change in the results.

0 Likes
karleya
Journeyman III

Just got myself a Red Devil 5700xt to pair with my 3600X. even with latest drivers and DDU I also get random crashes to desktop. first Chrome would just be a black screen, than WoW would get artifacts but those have been fixed so far, but now FH4 randomly hangs and CTD. Sigh, guess it comes with owning a 5700XT :-P

sangeeth36
Journeyman III

I got an ASUS TUF 5700 XT, i only experience crash on Forza Horizon 4. Also weirdly, i can't open options menu at all in Forza Horizon 4. When i click on options it just shows a transparent blurred out window, and if i move my cursor to the center of it i can actually hear a clicking sound, and when i click on 'continue' from the main menu, i can see the "LOADING..PLEASE WAIT" clipped to the back of the main menu, but it just stuck. The game won't start. If i reset Forza from Windows apps , the gamer starts but this time when i try to open the options menu by pressing the esc key, it shows the menu , but as soon as i try to click on something boom it crashes to goes to no signal mode but within seconds it shows the desktop. 

Also the Radeon Settings software turns to be a Transparent blurred out window , after the crash. 

0 Likes
alluaxd
Journeyman III

i have the same problem every time i open a game i have to restart my pc

0 Likes
olin9
Journeyman III

Same issue with 19.9.2 and 19.9.3

Red devil 5700 xt

16 ram

x470 ROG game-f

3700x 

on the red devil support page it only list the 18.1.2 driver.

I used DDU and installed the old driver. it reduced the game lockup and black screens for 98 % of the time. They need to fix the drivers and the high 1.5 volts for the 3700x. AMD is a nice product that is kicking intel and nvidia. but they need to work on the drivers.

Had it in ED, RB6 Siege and PUBG.

Before I was able to find a 5700 xt I was using a XFX R9 390x and it never crashed.

0 Likes

i have installed the latest one 19.10.1 also one thing i noticed is if i have the VSA enabled , then the black screen issues comes often  , even when watching a video in Fullscreen on youtube. So i disabled the VSA and never had issue with youtube afterwards , however when i alt+tab from RB6 siege or GTA 5 i still get the black issue but not as often as before. Also i experienced major stutters in Gears 5 tried everything to solve it but in the end, i just set the power mode to Ryzen balanced and there is no stuttering now. 

0 Likes

So do you have issues with Gears 5, like crashes or BSOD? sadly the game is the faulty, I have Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 1070 and It crashes too.

I did a full post explaining all. TC never replied me. No matter if I have the latest drivers, Windows, game patches, etc. Is the same sh!@#t

Game crashes, freezes, error GW502, BSOD... A disaster - Gears 5 - Gears Forums 

0 Likes
samito55
Adept I

1-First Try to underclock.

So if you are using for example 2069Mhz OC

Lower it to 2029mhz or silent mode on the profiles.

I was playing Battlefield 4 and I had the same symptoms as you guys.

For me work. You dont need 200fps. with 160fps is ok.

I have CrosshairViii Ryzen 3900x with 5700x OC Strix GPU. BTW that particular motherboard have some hot issues if you using water solution, so i just install a direct fan in top of the water pump motor or water block so it lower temps to the motherboard and let more stable OC.

The issue is present only in some games. GTA 5 Work awesome in the OC profile. Far cry V work good too.

For me is like a bottleneck for the GPU on that game, Battelfield 4. The 5700x work under extreme pressure due it sometimes goes to 101° C on extreme loads and that is hot!

0 Likes
bandit_ace2
Journeyman III

I was getting similar problems with my video card. It would get a black screen randomly, usually during 3D application use. Then it would often crash to desktop and have a warning that driver recovery was activated.

I tried updating my drivers, verifying that I didn't have the video card overclocked, checking the video card temperatures (they were stable and below 80 Celsius), checking the RAM with memtest86+, and replacing the power supply.

I discovered that a lot of video cards are overclocked by the factory before being sold to customers. IF the rest of the computer is fine, I think that this could be the root cause of "black screen" issues. But that's a big IF. The power supply especially could be another root cause of the issue.

In the end the solution for me seemed to be the following.

1. a. Disable factory overclocking of the video card. This is easy to do with an nVidia video card. Open the nVidia Control Panel, click Help and click "Debug Mode". It must be done every time you reboot your computer though. Before this I tried underclocking with MSI Afterburner, but it didn't stop the black screen problem, possibly due to the lack of complete control that Afterburner gives the user over the power saving modes and clock rates in each mode. Only "Debug Mode" in the nVidia control panel stopped the black screen problems for me. With an AMD video card you might have to determine the reference clock rates and manually configure your video card to use those clock rates. videocardz.net is useful for determining the reference clock rates of your video card. Numbers in green are factory overclocked values and numbers in black are the reference clock rates. My understanding is that reference rates are the clock rates that nVidia or AMD designed and tested the GPU to function at, and they're the only clock rates that the electronics are guaranteed to work correctly at.

1. b. Disable factory overclocking of the CPU. In my case the motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Hero) was essentially overclocking the CPU. This was due to a setting in the BIOS called "CPU Core Ratio", and it is set to "Sync All Cores" by default. I consider it a factory overclock because it sets the Turbo Boost multipliers to 44x for all core usage situations. The CPU datasheet indicates that the Turbo Boost multipliers should be 44x when only one core in in use, 43x when two cores are in use, and 42x for 3 or 4 cores in use. My computer was not heat stable in prime95 with AVX instructions enabled, and it was spontaneously rebooting sometimes regardless of CPU load. I changed the BIOS setting and made the other changes described here, and my computer became stable. In the case of newer CPUs, such as AMD Ryzen, avoid using automatic overclocking features such as Ryzen Master. It can be difficult to undo these overclocking settings, but ideas are here.   https://community.amd.com/thread/226086

2. Replace the power supply with a quality power supply that is suitable for the needs of the computer. See https://Jonnyguru.com for quality reviews of power supplies including oscilloscope, heat testing and disassembly. There are no constants in power supply brand quality because they're often rebranding various OEM manufacturers' products. If you can determine the underlying OEM of a power supply model then that's another useful metric for guessing about the quality of the model.

These are the key changes that I carried out nearly simultaneously on my computer in a determined effort to resolve the instability. Although my computer is stable now I don't know exactly which of these changes was the key solution because I didn't do controlled experimentation in the interest of saving time. My guess is that 1a and 1b were the key solutions because the black screen symptoms return if I forget to enable Debug Mode when I reboot my computer. Yes, I have an EVGA nVidia GTX 970 FTW (ECX 2.0?) video card and this story is about that video card, not an AMD RX 5700 XT. But I think that the troubleshooting strategy and advice translates to any factory overclocked video card.

TL;DR: To fix the "black screen" problem, disable factory overclocking on your video card and use only reference clock rates. Ensure that the rest of your computer is in good health, but the most likely explanation of the "black screen" problem in my opinion is any type of overclocking, including factory overclocking.

0 Likes
naminator
Journeyman III

I have a very same issue's, I have the Power Colour 5700XT Red Devil, for the life of me it will not play Project Cars 2, and Forza Horizon 4, If I leave it in the default bios that its shipped in "OC MODE" it crashes regardless the game I want to play before its barely started up, It seem this is a very common issue and its Obvious that these cards are faulty right out of the factory, Its not the 3rd party manufactures fault, because they all cant be getting it wrong, AMD cheeped out on some of the components that the PCB is built with and this is why we are all having similar faults and I think its mainly bad power delivery, I think every 5700XT is bad in one way or another and there really should be a full recall on them because they aren't fit for purpose or even reliable, I have to seriously under volt my card and tweak it so much just to make it usable in Silent mode, this defeats the object of the card meaning its powerful and nearly as good as a 2080, LOL I think not, but it does beat my 2070 Super that I replaced it with, but that don't bother me, at least the 2070 Super is Super reliable, Everyone needs to do a RMA on the 5700XT

0 Likes
beelzebozo
Adept I

Mainly play Battlefield 4 and haven't had a crash since switching the vBIOS mode about 3 days ago from OC mode to the Silent mode with latest drivers.  Don't think the OC mode is stable at all.  It could be a marketing gimmick (having OC and Silent modes) or it could just be an unstable overclock, just like trying to overclock a PC by increasing the multiplier alone without tweaking anything else in the BIOS.  Chances are you'll run into issues.  These cards ship with OC mode as the default setting.

BTW, I'm running an ASUS z170-Deluxe with a i7-6700-K CPU and 32 GB of RAM.

I've also changed PSUs  from a 700 to a 750 watt unit to see if OC mode could stick but no joy.

0 Likes
jasonk679288
Adept I

I'm having this same issue.

gigabyte 5700 xt

i7-9700k (minor overclocking)

msi z390 - most recent bios

16 gb pc3600 ram

swapped out components but kept hard drives so windows still had old drivers.  I have done a fresh install and still get the same issues.  tried the Aorus engine instead of Adrenaline and get the same problems.  sometimes game crashes, other times computer restarts.  with this many people the issue is definitely AMD.

0 Likes

I fix the issue. Leter i tell you. Now am at a hospital.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Likes

You need to install the driver but use an uninstall app that came with the driver. It will send you to safemode then in safemode uninstall the driver. Restart the machine and install the driver with the aplication. Am using a Ryzen 3950 at 4.4ghz all cores and is working with out any issues. I play Battlefield4 , Gta 5, Fishing planet, Farcry5, Rainbowsix, Flightsimulator etc...and theres no problem at all. I play 4k all the games 3840×2160 without any issues.

I thought everything was good after following this but then I got the random restart.

0 Likes

I have tried just about everything AMD has told me to try and none of it works.  2019 drivers simply restart my system while the 2020 drivers crash the games but at least they don't restart.  I'm starting to think AMD is trash.

0 Likes

Ps i dont use Ryzen Master

0 Likes
lihue22
Newcomer

HOLA! USEN TRADUCTOR 

DESACTIVEN TODAS LAS OPCIONES RADEON DEL CONTROLADOR 

ME REFIERO A 

RADEON CHILL
RADEON ANTI LAG
RADEON BOOST 

ETC ETC , EL DRIVER ESTA INESTABLE, YO QUITE TODO ESO Y LOS JUEGOS AHORA ESTAN FUNCIONANDO NORMALMENTE, POR LO MENOS HASTA QUE AMD SE DIGNE A ACTUALIZAR LOS DRIVERS Y ARREGLAR ESTE MENUDO PROBLEMA.

0 Likes
juone06
Journeyman III

install 19.12.2 driver..it fix problem

0 Likes

The restart is for uninstall the driver in safe mode.

0 Likes
jonnnnf369
Journeyman III

i have been having the same problem. computer will randomly freez with a green screen and then reboot after 5 seconds. been going crazy trying to figure this out. so after doing hours and hours of reasearch i read the instalation manual for this graphics card. its says to install it in a PCIe 4.0x16 slot....i had mine in a 4.0x4 slot. its been a few days and so far so good. i feel so dumb hahaha

0 Likes

It doesn’t matter if it was on 4.0x16. If you overclock hard or install the driver the wrong way it will do the same problem. Mine is stable at 2089 Mhz with a power to 117% GPU voltage 1200. Am using Ryzen 9 3950x at 4.3Ghz stable. If problem start, you need to reinstall the driver but with the application provided, it will send you to safe mode to uninstall the driver.

Good Luck!

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Likes

Then how come in the installation manual for the graphics card its say install in a PCIE 4.0 X16 slot and under system requirements it also says must have 1  x16 available slot? it must say that for a reason no? im just going off what they say

0 Likes

Ok with the instalation manual what am saying is the driver must be install correctly. I test the last updated driver and till now is working too. Thats good news.

0 Likes
lihue22
Newcomer

FOR RX 5700XT USE ADRENALINE 19.12.1 VERSION , WORK FINE .---  20.3.12 WORK BAD.. REALLY BAD,  IM IN 19.12.1 NOW 
I HAVE NITRO + VERSION OF SAPPHIRE 
R5 3600 - 16GB 3200MHZ 2X8 KINGSTON PREDATOR
B450 AORUS
PSU 850W GOLD TT GRAND

0 Likes
aero45308
Journeyman III

BLUF - PSU to GPU must be two PCI-E cables with each cable connected to the GPU PCI-E connections; cannot be a singular PCI-E cable that pig tails to two PCI-E connections.

I was having the same issue with my Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT.  I found that the issue was my PSU.  My PSU is a Thermaltake Smart 700W and the issue was that it had one PCI-E cable (lane) from the PSU that pig tailed into two PCI-E connections that I plugged into the GPU.  This caused the GPU to pull more power than that single cable (lane) could handle.  I tried a friend's PSU that had two PCI-E cables (lanes) coming from the PSU and I plugged them into the two PCI-E connections on the GPU and it worked flawlessly.  I am curious if others having the same issue has a single PCI-E cable that pig tails to two connections at the GPU.

0 Likes

I try the 20.3.1 and no crash at all. It is fix! I overclock 2109 Mhz, the power to 130,

The memory to 3548 and the fan more aggressive. My power supply is of 1,600 so I don’t have any issues about it.

So I recommend to use the 20.3.1 for now.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Likes
lekecito
Journeyman III

saludos

lastimosamente es una pena el rendimiento en los juegos

tengo una receitne popc gammer con rx 5700 xt, ryzen 7. el crash es constante a veces pantalla verde, aveces se reinica la pac, a veces y dependiendo del juego, sigue el audio pero el vide se congela. No se puede jugar ni fortnite, ni DOTA 2 ni Call of duty, es una lastima. actualizando los drivers y haciendo instalaciones limpias, bajando voltaje, etc,etc nada funciona siempre hay crash aleatorios. pena por AMD, como hechan a la bbasura su reputacion, personalemente era fanatico de AMD en procesadores y GPU, pero ahora.........

0 Likes