cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

benh72
Adept I

RX 5700 XT BSOD with PCIe errors

So this is my second RX 5700XT as the first one was RMAed due to display corruption issues (bad RAM probably) and now I'm getting BSODs all over the place.

The errors are WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I dug the logs and they are basically PCIe uncorrectable errors. This seem different from the SSD-originated corrected ones, those

are there too as my board doesn't have an ABB BIOS yet but they don't otherwise impair it.

The previous (before RMA) card didn't have that problem.

With the new one, when the machine is cold, I can boot windows one out of 4 tries maybe... it usually BSODs during boot or shortly after. It seems that heat fixes it, ie, if I manage to start a game, it will usually keep working.

Do I have yet another broken one ? It's starting to get old ... the card is ASUS branded, the mobo is an ASUS ROG STRIX x570, the card is in the CPU x16 slot (the top one), the CPU is a Ryzen 9 3900X.

12 Replies
philtheagony
Adept I

I was having the same issues and I fixed the PCIe errors by going into BIOS and changing PCIe setting from Auto to Gen3

Sadly the ASUS STRIX BIOS doesn't seem to have such a setting. The only PCIe setting I could find was to enable or disable SR-IOV.

This is getting old :-( Two cards, two different problems. It's starting to make me regret my decision to go for AMD..

0 Likes

Could you find a working combination/solution?
I have the same problems. It annoys me a lot especially because I tested the Graphics Cards before I assembled my whole PC. But I guess I had been lucky in those 12 hours running furmark.

Then PC assembled, Water Cooling also for the Card and now nothing works. T_T

0 Likes
hugonogueira
Journeyman III

Hey, I'm having similar issues. Whenever i try to install the drivers or run something heavier i get this BSOD.

I know the graphics card itself is not the problem because i put it in my brothers machine and it worked perfectly all the way (installed latest drivers, ran benchmark with cinebench r15 and after ran Destiny on highest configs).

Where did you find the logs pointing to a PCIe problem?

My motherboard is a colorful battle-ax z390ak gaming v20. The processor is an I7 9700KF.3.60GHz.

I believe the problem is in the Bios, and that your card isn't defective, like mine isn't.

0 Likes

Turns out my issue wasn't directly related to the RX 5700 XT. I tried to run my system with a GTX 1080 and still got the same errors. Maybe bad BIOS related to a 9th generation intel processor? Either way, it's unrelated to AMD products.

0 Likes
atlas365
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issue.

I try to install the latest recommended Radeon driver (19.9.2).  About 60% of the way, my screen flickers black and the blue screen immediately follows with the WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR.  System restarts, and I get the WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR again.  Rinse and repeat until I activate SAFE MODE and DDU the driver.

My setup:

CPU: Ryzen 3900X

GPU: RX 5700 XT (50th anniversary edition, if it matters)

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I

0 Likes

Hey did you get a solution? I have the exact setup as yours except my gpu is 5700 xt non anniversary edition. I got constant BSODs when installing graphics card driver. And I got the same 'WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' message. Are you using a pcie riser? In my case I'm using a gen 3 riser which might not be compatible with my motherboard/GPU, but the bios of ROG strix X570-I does not provide a setting for switching to pcie gen 3. Now I'm pretty much stuck without having driver installed. If you've got a solution, please let me know. Thank you!

0 Likes

No, I still haven't gotten this resolved.  I'm also using a PCIE riser (Maybe we're using the same case, Loque Ghost S1?)  Temporarily, I swapped out my 5700XT with an RX580 - and this seems to be working fine.  I reached out to AMD support a few days ago and I'm waiting to hear back.  It seems like some people are having success by changing PCIE settings in the BIOS, too bad our Strix X570-I doesn't support this.

I'll keep you posted on how this gets solved, let me know too if you find any workarounds. 

0 Likes

atlas365 wrote:

No, I still haven't gotten this resolved.  I'm also using a PCIE riser (Maybe we're using the same case, Loque Ghost S1?)  Temporarily, I swapped out my 5700XT with an RX580 - and this seems to be working fine.  I reached out to AMD support a few days ago and I'm waiting to hear back.  It seems like some people are having success by changing PCIE settings in the BIOS, too bad our Strix X570-I doesn't support this.

I'll keep you posted on how this gets solved, let me know too if you find any workarounds. 

risers are known to be problematic with modern systems

0 Likes
maxneuds
Journeyman III

In my case the error was on my side.

I didn't know that a PCI Riser Cable is actually more than just a cable and needs to support 4.0.

Riser Cable removed, Card direct into the slot - done. Now I have a black screen from time to time but at least it works most of the time.

0 Likes

try instead of messing with PCIe settings, fix the real problem. 

set the memory timing to the next grade down and this can stabilize a machine

the memory defaults are a tad too aggressive

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is not usually caused by RAM or GPU. This usually occurs when a processor is OC. So if you didn't OC the processor and you get this error, either the motherboard can't adjust CPU core voltage or PSU can't supply the required 12V properly. If you want, you can share your PSU information.

0 Likes