cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

o1pwer
Adept I

RX 5700 XT bad perfomance in games

Hello everyone. Ive bought RX 5700 XT in spring and noticed that it has problems in at least 2 games - Apex Legends and Fortnite.

In Apex i get 144 fps maximum even on lowest settings, but it always drops to 85 in random parts of the city and game doesnt feel smooth at all. Also FPS graph in RivaTuner looks like a saw blade - here is the example Imgur: The magic of the Internet

In Fortnite i am not having any FPS problems - the game just microfreezes like every 20 seconds which makes it impossible to play. When it does that, GPU clock drops to 60 MHz and GPU load also drops.

Also after doing something on my PC and starting a game I always start getting a noticeable inputlag in all games. Rebooting the PC helps, but i dont know why does it happen - i dont have anything special running in background, also my hardware is never loaded 100%

Specs

Ryzen 5 1600 3.9GHz

16GB 3000MHz RAM dual channel

Sapphire RX 5700 XT

Cougar GX-S750

Voltages and temperatures are fine

What should i try to do to make this card work as it should? If someone needs additional info - please let me know. Thank you.

0 Likes
23 Replies

All with this issue need to report it to AMD. Only they can fix it.

There is a Bug Report under the gear in Radeon Settings.

You can contact AMD support here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

@o1pwer wrote:

Hello everyone. Ive bought RX 5700 XT in spring and noticed that it has problems in at least 2 games - Apex Legends and Fortnite.

In Apex i get 144 fps maximum even on lowest settings, but it always drops to 85 in random parts of the city and game doesnt feel smooth at all. Also FPS graph in RivaTuner looks like a saw blade - here is the example Imgur: The magic of the Internet

In Fortnite i am not having any FPS problems - the game just microfreezes like every 20 seconds which makes it impossible to play. When it does that, GPU clock drops to 60 MHz and GPU load also drops.

Also after doing something on my PC and starting a game I always start getting a noticeable inputlag in all games. Rebooting the PC helps, but i dont know why does it happen - i dont have anything special running in background, also my hardware is never loaded 100%

Specs

Ryzen 5 1600 3.9GHz

16GB 3000MHz RAM dual channel

Sapphire RX 5700 XT

Cougar GX-S750

Voltages and temperatures are fine

What should i try to do to make this card work as it should? If someone needs additional info - please let me know. Thank you.

Let's start with your drivers and software updates. 

1. Is Windows 10 on the latest update?
  2. Is 'Game Mode' turned on in Windows Settings? (Start Menu > Type "Game Mode" to access menu)
  3. Are you on the latest BIOS driver for your motherboard? There have been many new BIOS updates lately due to the Gen3 Ryzen CPUs coming out that have improved performance for many boards.
  4. Are you on the latest graphics drivers? If not, download the latest and make sure to select "Factory Reset" when you install it. 
  5. I'd recommend going into the AMD Control Panel > Settings > Global Graphics Settings > Turn off any extra feature. Basically everything is off. (I'll provide a screenshot below).
  6. What do you use in the background during gaming? Discord? Is Chrome open? 
  7. Go to Windows Settings > System > Storage > Click on Temporary Files > Look at the checklist and have Windows clear up old temp files by clicking on "Remove Files."
  8. Make sure games are updated obviously, this is probably already done hence most of us keep "Update Game Automatically" turned on but it's worth to double check it. 

So go through that list for me, main goal is to UPDATE EVERYTHING possible. I'll be here waiting for you!

2.png1.png3.png

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for your answer.

1. Yes. 

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. Everything is already off, I also tried playing with these settings on - nothing really changed. Maybe Enchanced Sync makes game smoother sometimes, but it doesnt fix stutters or input lag.

6. I use Discord, ISLC(installed recently, tried to fix lags with it - without it performance is same or worse). Chrome is not installed.

7. Done.

8. All games are already updated.

My Windows is fresh, anything that could be updated is updated, any energy savers are also off.

0 Likes

RivaTuner and Afterburner are known to cause problems on some configurations so turn that off if it's running in the beckground.

0 Likes

Already tried that

0 Likes

@o1pwer wrote:

Hi, thanks for your answer.

1. Yes. 

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. Everything is already off, I also tried playing with these settings on - nothing really changed. Maybe Enchanced Sync makes game smoother sometimes, but it doesnt fix stutters or input lag.

6. I use Discord, ISLC(installed recently, tried to fix lags with it - without it performance is same or worse). Chrome is not installed.

7. Done.

8. All games are already updated.

My Windows is fresh, anything that could be updated is updated, any energy savers are also off.

Okay thank you! Hmm.. what motherboard do you have and chipset? Also are you on DDR4 or DDR3 RAM? I noticed you have a Ryzen 5 1600 and am now questioning whether that could be serving as a bottle neck to the 5700XT because it's a pretty powerful card but the 1600 is two gens old now so these newer games may already be more optimized towards newer hardware.

0 Likes

Asrock B450M PRO4. DDR4. When CPU is bottlenecking the system, it cant cause freezes or high input lag - the FPS will be as it should be on weakest part of your computer. Thats why its called bottlenecking - CPU acts as a bottle neck, I also agree that 5 1600 isn't that powerful, but it doesn't change the fact that stuttering isn't normal on this system

0 Likes

@o1pwer wrote:

Asrock B450M PRO4. DDR4. When CPU is bottlenecking the system, it cant cause freezes or high input lag - the FPS will be as it should be on weakest part of your computer. Thats why its called bottlenecking - CPU acts as a bottle neck, I also agree that 5 1600 isn't that powerful, but it doesn't change the fact that stuttering isn't normal on this system

Ah that's right. Well hmm when was your last format? Have others online experienced what you have? Have you Googled it to see if anyone has had that with your specific Sapphire card? I'm curious if it's hardware related or not. It's hard sometimes with all the various combinations of CPU/mobo/RAM/chipset etc that can cause things to work for some but not for others. 

0 Likes

I reinstalled windows +- 1 month ago.  There were similar threads even on AMD forums, but they didnt have any answers. Nothing special about Sapphire card

0 Likes

@o1pwer wrote:

I reinstalled windows +- 1 month ago.  There were similar threads even on AMD forums, but they didnt have any answers. Nothing special about Sapphire card

Have you double checked that your RAM XMP profile is on 3000MHz? I ask because everytime we update our BIOS, it resets the settings. 

0 Likes

its 100% on xmp, i checked that multiple times. it also shouldnt freeze if its off, it would make no sense

0 Likes

I also tried to play RDR 2 and started getting freezes and GPU clock drops, also my hdd is loaded up to 100% when the game freezes. I did a full check of my HDD with Victoria program and it is working fine

0 Likes

Try different versions of Radeon drivers. The best most stable for me is 20.11.1. Everything after that has given me issues on my 5700. 

Asus B450-I 2700x GSkill Trident Z 16GB 3200 CL16 XFX 5700 DD Ultra
0 Likes

there is no version that works stable for me(

0 Likes

You could try this,

Sounds more like a game specific setting, are you using a freesync compatible monitor and is freesync turned on? Turn it off!

Most games played @ 1080 and some at low setting 1440 dont need it, it's more for higher resolutions and settings.

In your Mobo bios, turn off game mode. Try turning on PBO(not sure the 1600) offers this.

In Adrenaline try turning on, anti-lag and image sharpening(adjust as desired) I usually use 80% or higher.

I dont play either game, so I'm unfamiliar w/ the options w/in game.

GL

0 Likes

Hi. My monitor doesnt support Freesync so its off, game modes are off and antilag and sharpening are already on, with them off stuttering is still there. I also get problems in nearly all new games, but the problems are different in every game

0 Likes

Have you reset your shader cache in Adrenaline? I dont think it's your GPU after  all that you've tried.

It may be time to upgrade  your memory to a faster kit, 3600 or 3800 should help but it sounds like you may be bottlenecked there @ 3000. Also, the L3 cache for the AMD 1600/1600x is 16Gb.

Aside from upgrading your CPU, I'm under the impression that your getting the best you can out of your system. Look for a 3600x that should be a good upgrade overall or if you can find one and its not out of your budget a 5600x.

0 Likes

Ill definitely get a new Ryzen after i understand why i am getting stutters. They should not happen on my system at all, 1600 is not so powerful but its not single-core Celeron. Its never loaded on 100%. Also i dont understand how the new memory will fix the problem if i have already bought new 3000 mhz kit and it didnt fix anything at all. Oh btw i did reset my shader cache and it didnt help.

0 Likes

@o1pwer wrote:

Ill definitely get a new Ryzen after i understand why i am getting stutters. They should not happen on my system at all, 1600 is not so powerful but its not single-core Celeron. Its never loaded on 100%. Also i dont understand how the new memory will fix the problem if i have already bought new 3000 mhz kit and it didnt fix anything at all. Oh btw i did reset my shader cache and it didnt help.

I think your 3000MHz RAM is just fine, 3000-3200 is the sweet spot for most Ryzen processors although Ryzen works best with either 3200 or 3600 RAM. Regardless, 3000 is just fine. 

I'd try adjusting the clock speed curves mentioned just above this post as that user explained that RDNA prefers to save power causing inconsistent clock speeds. You can also try setting the "Auto Overclock GPU" function and see what it does for you. 

And then again, I know the 1600 isn't a bad chip but gaming nowadays really requires at least 6 cores or more. I'd consider upgrading to a 3600x or even at 5600x given they're priced extremely well and I bet that's going to help tons.

0 Likes

@goosethesecond 

this will help never put amd on gaming mode until they fix the drivers 

0 Likes
LeyvinBeta
Adept I

Disable Enhanced Sync (the drivers have a habit of enabling it)

Disable Discord Overlay (even if you're not in a Discord Chat., it can cause "issues")

Enable V-Sync in Game

A big issue with RDNA is the Adaptive Frequency., as well, unlike NVIDIA's GPU Boost Technology; which is always looking to hit as HIGH a Frequency as possible... this within RDNA instead is intended to SAVE POWER as much as possible. 

And while yes, it's lovely having a "220w" GPU typically running at "190w" even while hitting 2040MHz., the downside is that the Frequency will jump all over the dang place based on Utilisation; which is ALWAYS going to go up / down, especially with V-Sync Disable.

The result is having too much Frequency on Frames that don't need it, and not enough on Frames that do... so you end up with this constant Over / Under Compensation going on.

Manually Set the Frequency Curve, to instead basically be akin to the 4 P-States on GCN; well all of a sudden your card will maybe vary by 25MHz instead of 250MHz. This ends up smoothing out A LOT of performance issues; something that as noted, V-Sync will tend to also do.

Oh and as a note., this is also true for Ryzen... you NEVER want to be pushing them to their Frequency Limits if you want to have a Stable Frequency; which on CPU Bound Games (like APEX and Fortnite) are also going to cause issues.

0 Likes

I didn't see what motherboard your using either, you may be bandwidth limited depending on chipset. I mentioned the cpu and the memory as they are the architect of the graphics, the gpu is the finishing contractor. 

0 Likes

Motherboard is Asrock B450M PRO4, there is no any bandwith limit that could be causing freezes and stutters.

0 Likes