cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

o1pwer
Adept I

RX 5700 XT bad perfomance in games

Hello everyone. Ive bought RX 5700 XT in spring and noticed that it has problems in at least 2 games - Apex Legends and Fortnite.

In Apex i get 144 fps maximum even on lowest settings, but it always drops to 85 in random parts of the city and game doesnt feel smooth at all. Also FPS graph in RivaTuner looks like a saw blade - here is the example Imgur: The magic of the Internet

In Fortnite i am not having any FPS problems - the game just microfreezes like every 20 seconds which makes it impossible to play. When it does that, GPU clock drops to 60 MHz and GPU load also drops.

Also after doing something on my PC and starting a game I always start getting a noticeable inputlag in all games. Rebooting the PC helps, but i dont know why does it happen - i dont have anything special running in background, also my hardware is never loaded 100%

Specs

Ryzen 5 1600 3.9GHz

16GB 3000MHz RAM dual channel

Sapphire RX 5700 XT

Cougar GX-S750

Voltages and temperatures are fine

What should i try to do to make this card work as it should? If someone needs additional info - please let me know. Thank you.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
pokester
MVP

Re: RX 5700 XT bad perfomance in games

All with this issue need to report it to AMD. Only they can fix it.

There is a Bug Report under the gear in Radeon Settings.

You can contact AMD support here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Kudos
goosethesecond
Adept III

@o1pwer wrote:

Hello everyone. Ive bought RX 5700 XT in spring and noticed that it has problems in at least 2 games - Apex Legends and Fortnite.

In Apex i get 144 fps maximum even on lowest settings, but it always drops to 85 in random parts of the city and game doesnt feel smooth at all. Also FPS graph in RivaTuner looks like a saw blade - here is the example Imgur: The magic of the Internet

In Fortnite i am not having any FPS problems - the game just microfreezes like every 20 seconds which makes it impossible to play. When it does that, GPU clock drops to 60 MHz and GPU load also drops.

Also after doing something on my PC and starting a game I always start getting a noticeable inputlag in all games. Rebooting the PC helps, but i dont know why does it happen - i dont have anything special running in background, also my hardware is never loaded 100%

Specs

Ryzen 5 1600 3.9GHz

16GB 3000MHz RAM dual channel

Sapphire RX 5700 XT

Cougar GX-S750

Voltages and temperatures are fine

What should i try to do to make this card work as it should? If someone needs additional info - please let me know. Thank you.

Let's start with your drivers and software updates. 

1. Is Windows 10 on the latest update?
  2. Is 'Game Mode' turned on in Windows Settings? (Start Menu > Type "Game Mode" to access menu)
  3. Are you on the latest BIOS driver for your motherboard? There have been many new BIOS updates lately due to the Gen3 Ryzen CPUs coming out that have improved performance for many boards.
  4. Are you on the latest graphics drivers? If not, download the latest and make sure to select "Factory Reset" when you install it. 
  5. I'd recommend going into the AMD Control Panel > Settings > Global Graphics Settings > Turn off any extra feature. Basically everything is off. (I'll provide a screenshot below).
  6. What do you use in the background during gaming? Discord? Is Chrome open? 
  7. Go to Windows Settings > System > Storage > Click on Temporary Files > Look at the checklist and have Windows clear up old temp files by clicking on "Remove Files."
  8. Make sure games are updated obviously, this is probably already done hence most of us keep "Update Game Automatically" turned on but it's worth to double check it. 

So go through that list for me, main goal is to UPDATE EVERYTHING possible. I'll be here waiting for you!

2.png1.png3.png

0 Kudos
o1pwer
Adept I

Hi, thanks for your answer.

1. Yes. 

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. Everything is already off, I also tried playing with these settings on - nothing really changed. Maybe Enchanced Sync makes game smoother sometimes, but it doesnt fix stutters or input lag.

6. I use Discord, ISLC(installed recently, tried to fix lags with it - without it performance is same or worse). Chrome is not installed.

7. Done.

8. All games are already updated.

My Windows is fresh, anything that could be updated is updated, any energy savers are also off.

0 Kudos
ryrx
Adept I

RivaTuner and Afterburner are known to cause problems on some configurations so turn that off if it's running in the beckground.

0 Kudos
o1pwer
Adept I

Already tried that

0 Kudos
goosethesecond
Adept III

@o1pwer wrote:

Hi, thanks for your answer.

1. Yes. 

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. Everything is already off, I also tried playing with these settings on - nothing really changed. Maybe Enchanced Sync makes game smoother sometimes, but it doesnt fix stutters or input lag.

6. I use Discord, ISLC(installed recently, tried to fix lags with it - without it performance is same or worse). Chrome is not installed.

7. Done.

8. All games are already updated.

My Windows is fresh, anything that could be updated is updated, any energy savers are also off.

Okay thank you! Hmm.. what motherboard do you have and chipset? Also are you on DDR4 or DDR3 RAM? I noticed you have a Ryzen 5 1600 and am now questioning whether that could be serving as a bottle neck to the 5700XT because it's a pretty powerful card but the 1600 is two gens old now so these newer games may already be more optimized towards newer hardware.

0 Kudos
o1pwer
Adept I

Asrock B450M PRO4. DDR4. When CPU is bottlenecking the system, it cant cause freezes or high input lag - the FPS will be as it should be on weakest part of your computer. Thats why its called bottlenecking - CPU acts as a bottle neck, I also agree that 5 1600 isn't that powerful, but it doesn't change the fact that stuttering isn't normal on this system

0 Kudos
goosethesecond
Adept III

@o1pwer wrote:

Asrock B450M PRO4. DDR4. When CPU is bottlenecking the system, it cant cause freezes or high input lag - the FPS will be as it should be on weakest part of your computer. Thats why its called bottlenecking - CPU acts as a bottle neck, I also agree that 5 1600 isn't that powerful, but it doesn't change the fact that stuttering isn't normal on this system

Ah that's right. Well hmm when was your last format? Have others online experienced what you have? Have you Googled it to see if anyone has had that with your specific Sapphire card? I'm curious if it's hardware related or not. It's hard sometimes with all the various combinations of CPU/mobo/RAM/chipset etc that can cause things to work for some but not for others. 

0 Kudos
o1pwer
Adept I

I reinstalled windows +- 1 month ago.  There were similar threads even on AMD forums, but they didnt have any answers. Nothing special about Sapphire card

0 Kudos