cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

RX 5700 XT and generalized WHEA problems

RX 5700 XT and generalized WHEA problems

I am putting this post here, because I am impressed and disappointed at the same time with the acceptance of the problem and zero definitive resolution of the same. Like turning a blind eye to the case.

It's fact! Many forums since 2019 with people with this problem in their setups that have not solved with all the tests and parts replaced, purchased or by RMA. The definitive solution for most cases was to replace the VGA RX 5700 XT with the one it had before or with a new one from nVIDIA. The minority was actually some defective device in the set, or adjustment in the BIOS. The slightest mention of that.

AMD and MSI? What's going on? AMD silent, blindfolded and silent as. MSI needs to take a tough stance on AMD. Require solution.

I tested everything, but everything you can imagine that would not impact the guarantee of the mainboard and GPU, as they are new. And nothing at all. I put an RX550 in place and everything returned to normal. No, it is not the PSU. An MSI RX480 performed very well on this system before.

I need answers appropriate to my situation.
I have the support already registered. Waiting for answers.

[ AMD Ryzen 7 5700X (step B2) | CM MASTERLIQUID PL360 FLUX | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI - 7C91v1D | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 OC Ed 12GB GDDR6 ]
0 Likes
1 Solution

Friend,
I am grateful, but it was not for all these gambiarras that we were testing here that I bought this VGA. I gave up, I'm already forwarding it back and I just bought the 3070 from ASUS.
That's enough for me from AMD for graphics for quite a while.
I say this with a torn heart.
AMD needs to respect its customers more and what it has done is a total lie and lack of commitment. They need new engineers in the field or better hardware design. Something has not been said.

Good luck to all friends.

[ AMD Ryzen 7 5700X (step B2) | CM MASTERLIQUID PL360 FLUX | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI - 7C91v1D | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 OC Ed 12GB GDDR6 ]

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
RPX100
Miniboss

I have also encountered these WHEA-Logger 18 and Kernel-Power 41 system freezes,
when I got my RX 5700 XT in december and was about to return it back then.

I have been looking at these issues over the past weeks and have read through many
forum discussions and posts on reddit, where people have all kind of problems.

My own card is now working fine. My system is stable and information to share is:

Radeon Software is overclocking the 5000 series cards by default.
-> 2100 MHz max boost, 1200 mV
-> which is causing high temps, high power consumption, noise
-> and of course also instability and system freezes (just like any other unstable overclock)

The 5000 series is more stable around 1700-1850 MHz game clock
while undervolted to 1000-1100 mV (1700 MHz - 950 mV can work).

---

So in order to resolve these system freezes:

1) start with a fresh/clean install of the graphics driver
-> it is important to use DisplayDriverUninstaller in Windows Safe Mode
-> and also make sure to disable Windows Updates while installing the new driver
-> if you want to use Radeon Software, then leave it on "Standard" profile.

2) enable manual performance tuning
-> make sure to look up the max boost clock for your make and model
-> enter this factory-boost-clock into the P3-state of the Radeon Software

3) reduce max voltage in order to reduce heat
->  aim for 1700-1850 MHz game clock at around 1000-1050 mV

---

For older/less demanding games, I went with:
P1: 1600 MHz - 800 mV
P2: 1700 MHz - 850 mV
P3: 1800 MHz - 900 mV

This results in stable GPU core clock, low temps and less fan noise.
Peak power consumption is around 140W and average around 100W.

Works well for Deep Rock Galactic @ 1440p for example.

---

Radeon Software was also causing system freezes for me,
with some specific features, like custom game profiles.
So I personally am not using it anymore: it is not installed right now.
-> MSI Afterburner works well for custom game profiles and performance tuning.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

Friend,
I am grateful, but it was not for all these gambiarras that we were testing here that I bought this VGA. I gave up, I'm already forwarding it back and I just bought the 3070 from ASUS.
That's enough for me from AMD for graphics for quite a while.
I say this with a torn heart.
AMD needs to respect its customers more and what it has done is a total lie and lack of commitment. They need new engineers in the field or better hardware design. Something has not been said.

Good luck to all friends.

0 Likes