cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mclingo
Challenger

RX 5700 series - AMD HDR API is outputting wrong colour space for MADVR renderer

As Title states, when a HDR movie is played in MADVR and HDR is toggled (not using the windows HDR toggle) colours are poorly saturated. I am told by the MADVR community that there is a problem with the HDR API for the 5700 generation of card as this doesnt occur on the old RX400 and 600 series of cards but it does on all the NAVI based cards from driver 19.4.3 upwards.

This is a big deal as they card cannot properly support HDR using AMD's API and so if HDR is triggered in game using the AMD API the game will looks washed out like HDR movies.

This can be corrected by use of a workaround but applying a BT709 filter to the pre-output of the video played but this cant be using games.

I've logged a fault with AMD but heard nothing, if anyone has any contacts in the driver team please can this issue be communicated to them as they clearly cant be aware of it - which is frankly a surprise.

This isnt the only problem, I have also logged a video rendering fault here, clearly AMD arent putting much effort anymore into the video playback component of their drivers which is very disappointing as AMD has always been my go to card for my HTPCs.

RX 5700 - Incorrect dynamic range / colour space (elevated blacks) with certain video renderers 

I'm pretty close to sacking this casrd off and putting my RX 580 back in, i'd rather not as this card is nearly twice as fast in gaming.

0 Likes
6 Replies
mclingo
Challenger

ive reported both my issues to AMD support, nothing from them at all, not even an email to acknowledge i've logged an issue, what a load of utter crap,i'm going to return the card.

0 Likes
mclingo
Challenger

well done AMD, you did nothing at all to help me with these issues, card has been RMA'd, useless feckless company.

0 Likes
mclingo
Challenger

still TOTAL SILENCE from AMD, disgusting this is being ignored, AMD sort out you HDR API !!!!

0 Likes
mclingo
Challenger

So AMD promised to fix all driver issues at CES... lets start with this one please, its a 5 minute job for anyone as its just an issue with outputting BT2020, or not doing so.

0 Likes
danbutcher
Journeyman III

Just fyi new driver release notes says that this got fixed but it's not. Same washed colours as we had before. This is pathetic.

0 Likes
mclingo
Challenger

yeah mate, I was excited when I saw that, gutted its still not fixed.

0 Likes