Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mitchelv076
Journeyman III

RX 5700 running trash on older games like borderlands 2

Whats up people,

One and a half week ago I got the RX 5700, however I was on holidays so I didnt get time to enjoy the card.

However, what I noticed about this card is that it runs great on newer games. But when I try to run an older game on it like Borderlands 2, it runs like trash. Division 1 runs trash on DX11 mode but not on DX12 mode. There are more older games I'd like to play but that run trash on the card. I did not buy this card just to play the newest titles. I want to play all of my titles.

My system specs:

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8 Ghz

16 GB DDR4 2666Mhz @ OC 3000 Mhz 

RX 5700 8 GB 

Seasonic Focus Plus 750W gold

ASUS TUF-B350M-plus gaming motherboard

2 Replies
sleepygeepy
Adept I

I'm also experiencing the same frequent stuttering on a Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 on Borderlands 2.  Capping the framerate to 120 fps using FRTC or RTSS did not help at all.  Although framerates are higher, the gameplay is very choppy compared to my previous videocard (a Sapphire Nitro RX 580).  I'm also playing the game in full screen mode and not windowed mode.  I'm also not using FreeSync and just plain vsync-off with tearing.

The stutter is immediately noticeable as you start the game and your character is loaded to the area.  Just rotating your view presents horrible stutter, and you have to wait a few seconds before you can move again.

To give you an idea (if you are familiar with the game) hopping around Sanctuary around the central monument only gives me 70-80+ fps and that is terrible performance.  You can see the frametime spikes on the lower left portion of the screenshot:

Sapphire_Pulse_RX5700_Borderlands2_Stuttering.png

Specs as follows:

• Ryzen 5 1600X at 3.8GHz
  • Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 cooler
  • 2x8GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4-2400 (stock for now)
  • ASRock X370 Taichi
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 (using 19.9.2 drivers)
  • Seasonic G-650
  • Fractal Design C with 4 low noise fans
  • Samsung 144Hz monitor (vsync-off)
0 Likes
vandreal
Adept I

I get similar performance in BL2 and not just that. Witcher 3, BL1, Ghost Recon Wildlands (Though it's possible Ubi is just screwing up that game on purpose to push people to the new GR). Does okay in Destiny 2 and the Hunter: Call of the Wild. I still have many more to test out on but I'm very skeptical at this point. Even GR Breakpoint is not running very well right now. The funny part is I know Win10 has problems with the driver library but still... I had a Vega 64 before this and though my FPS was extremely high, it was more steady than this and more consistent in its frame times. I'm getting close to just going back to Green.
R5 2600
Asrock x470 Gaming K4

64GB RAM @ 2800mhz, G.Skill Ripjaws

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC

LG 21:9 HDR 2560x1080 Freesync Monitor
Scythe FUMA 2 CPU Cooler

Silverstone RL06WS Case

Corsair RM1000i PSU

0 Likes