Adept I

Rx 5700 Green screen Issue

My specs:

Asrock legend steel b450m

Gskill aesis 3000mhz 2x4gb

rx 5700

Ryzen 5 2600

Cosair cx550 

(I know this question already been asked a lot, but I already try everything and I still have the issue.)

Most of the time the green screen happen when I am launching games. The green screen happen for a brief second and then it turned black and my PC just stay like there and the only thing I can do is force shutdown the PC. I already try clearing CMOS, clean driver with ddu and install the latest driver, but still happen. I don't know what to do now, so I hope one of you guys could help me. Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
nosdog
Adept I

I found the solution. turns out i just need to enable Virtual Super Resolution. Amd tell me in the notification to turn it on but i though it will only make the greenscreen worse turns out no.i havent had the problem ever since i turn it on. in my case it shouldnt have been hardware problem because it only happen in certain games like rocket league and i havent had this problem with gta 5, but i still upgrade the psu anyway for future upgrades 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies

Sorry to hear about this annoying issue. 

In my experience what you describe sounds power related. AMD IMHO is a bit tight on what they recommend for power supplies with these cards. Your card requires a 600 watt power supply at a minimum. I would suggest at least a 650 gold or better and if you want to future proof as the next gen from both camps have upped the needed wattage a 750 gold would be optimal. 

Your power supply is underpowered for your GPU.

It changing that out does not help, I think it is time you talk to the support department from the company that made your GPU. Assuming you don't have a power supply or software issue then you may have an actual GPU hardware issue. They should be able to help troubleshoot this and offer an RMA if need be. 

This page has the requirements for your GPU:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5700

0 Likes

Thanks for the info. If its power related does that mean undervolting my GPU and lowering my ram speed help? Cause I am going to have to wait 4 months for new PSU

0 Likes

If you are right on the edge it may help a little. It probably won't hurt to try.  However running a chip underpowered is not good either. They are designed to operate in a certain window. 

Not sure how old your power supply is but assuming it is new you are 50 watts under what you need at a minimum.

If that Power Supply is older it might not even be operating at full potential anymore. They are kind of like shock absorbers on a cars. They degrade over time little by little. 

You can test if power draw is an issue. 

There is a program called OCCT from OCBASE dot COM you can use to see if your power is dropping when running the GPU under load. 

There are things you can do to reduce some load on your PSU if you have to. Like unplugging any extra case fans you might not need. Or plugging USB devices that draw power into a hub that supplies power versus straight into the motherboard.  Unplugging any unused cards or hard drives or cd/dvd drives etc.....  You might get your power draw down a little.

Run OCCT and see what it tells you. 

0 Likes

Ok thanks ill try that

0 Likes

Hi. So it's been  almost a week now and I've tried underclocking both the ram and GPU. With the ram i just set it to auto in bios instead of the xmp2 and it runs 2133mhz instead of 3000mhz and with the GPU i just use the AMD software to decrease the power consumption to -40%, i also unplug one of the three sickleflow fan that is running at 100%, because i can't control it. Occt looks fine, but i still have the problem. But it does happen less the before. The problem is I don't want to buy a new PSU but then still have the problem. i also want to note that my keyboard light and mouse turn off when the green screen happen. another thing is that it almost never happen while gaming like i can game for a whole day without crashes, it usually only happen when i start the game or browsing chrome after the pc started

0 Likes
nosdog
Adept I

I found the solution. turns out i just need to enable Virtual Super Resolution. Amd tell me in the notification to turn it on but i though it will only make the greenscreen worse turns out no.i havent had the problem ever since i turn it on. in my case it shouldnt have been hardware problem because it only happen in certain games like rocket league and i havent had this problem with gta 5, but i still upgrade the psu anyway for future upgrades 

0 Likes