I recently built a PC for my friend and installed a Gigabyte RX 5700.
After booting it and installing the latest (20.2.2) drivers, I noticed several graphical artifacts and rendering issues. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Running a game crashed the game immediately (Dota Underlords on Steam)
- AMD Radeon Software rendering incorrectly; sometimes the window is fully transparent and sometimes the window is partly rendered and buttons/elements are invisible, making it near impossible to change any settings through the software.
- Start menu and/or taskbar being fully transparent/not displaying properly
- Start menu flashing with black triangular artifacts when typing into the search bar
- Entire screen flashing black when typing into the start menu search bar
- Web browser (Microsoft Edge) not rendering content properly (sometimes content disappears entirely, sometimes it is only partially rendered, sometimes it flashes)
- Lock screen sometimes washed out with a bright green colour
- Getting a "Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead." error (though this only appeared once)
I initially thought it was a hardware error with the GPU so I replaced the card with a brand new one but the issues still persist.
I have also tried:
- Uninstalling the drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalling them
- Uninstalling the device through device manager and reinstalling drivers
- Using a previous version (19.12.1) of the AMD driver
- Using a different monitor
- Using a different HDMI cable to connect to the monitor
- Resetting Windows through the settings app
- Updating the motherboard BIOS
I have not overclocked any of my components.
When using the PC with the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, none of the desktop artifacts occur (i.e. flashing start menu) which leads me to believe it may be a driver-related issue, although I am not sure.
OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1909)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Gaming OC
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 750W
Monitor: Acer S230HL
Any help is appreciated
this worked for me using:
gigabyte 5600 xt gaming oc 6g , with FA0 bios
msi mpg x570 gaming plus (newest bios)
ryzen 5 3600 (@4.3 ghz)
corsair vengeance rgb pro 32 GB (16 x 2 ) (@3600 mhz)
that's major issue with AMD 5700 series right now.. overheating issue, rendering issue, and driver issue..
My Sapphire RX 5700 XT always crashing and got graphics glitch.. try all the ways from forum to fix it but it's never fix.
Good job radeon team!
I sent the CPU and motherboard back to the retailer and they identified an issue with the CPU. After replacing it, the PC now works fine without any issues.