Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pepperpot
Journeyman III

RX 5700 Graphical Artifacts and Screen Flickering

Hi all,
I recently built a PC for my friend and installed a Gigabyte RX 5700.
After booting it and installing the latest (20.2.2) drivers, I noticed several graphical artifacts and rendering issues. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Running a game crashed the game immediately (Dota Underlords on Steam)
- AMD Radeon Software rendering incorrectly; sometimes the window is fully transparent and sometimes the window is partly rendered and buttons/elements are invisible, making it near impossible to change any settings through the software.
- Start menu and/or taskbar being fully transparent/not displaying properly
- Start menu flashing with black triangular artifacts when typing into the search bar
- Entire screen flashing black when typing into the start menu search bar
- Web browser (Microsoft Edge) not rendering content properly (sometimes content disappears entirely, sometimes it is only partially rendered, sometimes it flashes)
- Lock screen sometimes washed out with a bright green colour
- Getting a "Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead." error (though this only appeared once)

I initially thought it was a hardware error with the GPU so I replaced the card with a brand new one but the issues still persist.
I have also tried:
- Uninstalling the drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalling them
- Uninstalling the device through device manager and reinstalling drivers
- Using a previous version (19.12.1) of the AMD driver
- Using a different monitor
- Using a different HDMI cable to connect to the monitor
- Resetting Windows through the settings app

- Updating the motherboard BIOS

I have not overclocked any of my components.
When using the PC with the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, none of the desktop artifacts occur (i.e. flashing start menu) which leads me to believe it may be a driver-related issue, although I am not sure.

PC Specification:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Gaming OC
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 750W
Monitor: Acer S230HL

Any help is appreciated

0 Likes
3 Replies
swirf
Journeyman III

how i fixed my 5600 xt, may apply to other amd cards also, untested though
SWIRF TV fixes 5600 xt blue screen of death / video tdr failure / amd radeon adrenalin , no crashes ... 

do this, i had zero crashes after 4 days so far

( i do not guarantee this will work for you)

this worked for me using:
gigabyte 5600 xt gaming oc 6g , with FA0 bios
msi mpg x570 gaming plus (newest bios)
ryzen 5 3600 (@4.3 ghz)
corsair vengeance rgb pro 32 GB (16 x 2 ) (@3600 mhz)

windows 10 ( dont think home / pro / build number makes a diff here, microsoft isnt to blame (this time)

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR PROBLEMS, DAMAGE, ETC.

1. uninstall radeon software (if freezes or has error dont worry goto 2)
2. run amd clean up utility (if freezes or has error dont worry goto 3)
3. boot windows into safe mode with networking (hold shift while clicking reboot in windows)
4. download and install display driver uninstaller
5. uninstall all gpu stuff and chipset stuff , using ddu , (display driver uninstaller)
6. reboot
7. check device manager, make sure display adapter says generic device, if not repeat steps 1 - 6

8. download amd chipset drivers directly from amd, selecting the appropriate categories (for AMD CPU users,,,, (((i would imagine the same would hold true for intel cpus),
                              ( i didnt use ones from my mobo manufacturer) 
9. install the latest correct chipset drivers only from amd, (intel for blue team) ( NO ADRENALIN OR GPU STUFF FROM AMD)

10. reboot
11. download adrenalin, unpack it, (( it will show a generic unzip progress bar, let it finish, when the fancy splash screen comes up that say "do you want to install adrenalin" "CLICK CLOSE / NO                            ****** DO NOT INSTALL ADRENALIN OR ANY AMD GPU SOFTWARE **** we are just unpacking it to get to the drivers
12. goto device manager right click on generic display driver, hit update driver 
                       > select "browse my computer for driver software"
                           > choose "let me pick from a list......"   
                                 > choose "have disk"
                                      > goto the folder that adrenalin unpacked to ussually c:\amd , im not sure what subfolder it is in, i think one that says adrenalin, either way locate C0353065.inf (i beleive there was a driver subfolder and like a win32 / win64 etc folders, choose the one appropriate for your system)   (this may differ slightly for diff versions in the future)  click ok, choose the top 5600 xt driver, click next, 

13. (this should install the driver without adrenalin, device manager should now say "5600 xt" under display adapters)
              >>>>>>>>>>> reboot

congratulations, no more crashes (AMD please fix your software or make it alot easier to install just the  drivers, nvidia doesnt force u to use geforce experience, cough , cough

14. can  over clock with asus gpu tweaker ii

0 Likes
fajrifauzan
Adept I

that's major issue with AMD 5700 series right now.. overheating issue, rendering issue, and driver issue..

My Sapphire RX 5700 XT always crashing and got graphics glitch.. try all the ways from forum to fix it but it's never fix.

Good job radeon team!Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (10).png

0 Likes
pepperpot
Journeyman III

I sent the CPU and motherboard back to the retailer and they identified an issue with the CPU. After replacing it, the PC now works fine without any issues.