cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

avenuix
Newcomer

RX 5700 crashes (black screen + distorted sound for ~1-2 seconds)

Bought a new PC with amd gpu (rx 5700) about 2 months ago and I haven't had any problems playing low requirements games (LoL, Dota2) and even had flawless experience with Watch Dogs 2. 

Then I bought AC Origins and Odyssey - and that's when the issues started. Whenever I start a game in any of these, I can either get through starting cutscene and play for about 5 seconds before it crashes or it crashes during the cutscene. The PC reboots on it's own after the black screen. I've read many posts online about it being probably drivers issue, but no solutions worked for me so far.

I've tried:

1. Updating drivers

2. Installing drivers after removing them with DDU

3. Installing drivers after removing it during Adrenalin installation

4. Updating motherboard chipset drivers

5. Setting Windows power program to high efficiency

6. I also tried a few older driver versions that different people mentioned working

7. Setting all the graphic settings in Adrenalin to off and the profile to standard (instead of gaming)

My specs:

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4-F

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Asus Dual Radeon RX 5700 Evo OC 8GB GDDR6

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V, DDR4, 2 x 8GB, 3200MHz, CL16

PSU: SilentiumPC Vero L3 600W (SPC266)

SSD Drive: SSD Crucial P1 1 TB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe

Driver version: 20.9.1 (but tested new, unstable 20.10.1 and a few older versions)

Windows 10 Pro (2004)

0 Likes
13 Replies
satanael
Adept III

0 Likes

I'm currently using old monitor with 60hz and no displayport

0 Likes
hassan313
Journeyman III

I had almost same history like you

and turn out my gpu defect

you its hard when pay 400 euro and get a shittt

Ive send it back to store for change and ill sell and get a nvidia

At least you wont get alot stress

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/crashing-frezing-exit-without-error-in-all-game.3654572/

0 Likes
accn
Elite

What is your system specs and windows build?

0 Likes

Updated my post with all specs

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Go to OCCT power test and put the system to the test for at least one hour. If the problem occurs, the PSU may be causing the problem. Also read your maximum temperatures for the CPU and the GPU.

0 Likes

Ran the power test for 1 hour and the crash didn't happen. Neither did OCCT detect any errors. Temperatures were 85 for CPU and 80 for GPU. Do you have any tips or is it just GPU's fault and I should try to return it?

0 Likes

Try to update your vbios first, if update is aviable

0 Likes

If there was a problem with your system, you would surely have a problem with OCCT power test.
If I were you, I would lower the GPU core frequency by -5% or -10% with WattMan.
I also saw that the engineer working on the AMD forum stated that some poor quality HDMI and DP cables caused similar problems. So you have to look for the error either in the core frequency or in the display cable.

0 Likes

Where can you access WattMan with RX5700? Also, wouldn't using it cancel the warranty on the card? Maybe it would just be safer to return it? I mean I shouldn't have any problems running 3 years old game on this PC...

0 Likes

Underclock does not affect the warranty. I have not given you a suggestion that will damage the warranty.

You can go to WattMan with the game settings section on Radeon Software. And you can try to lower the GPU frequency a bit. -5% or -10%...

0 Likes

PSU: SilentiumPC Vero L3 600W (SPC266)
This is your PSU. AMD graphics cards can cause problems with some PSUs. This is not due to the PSU, but problems may occur. There is a possibility that you may experience this problem for other GPU manufacturer as well. For these reasons, choosing a powerful PSU and a GPU with good VRM will reduce the chance of problems. So it is necessary to be careful when purchasing hardware.

0 Likes

Sorry if this is reviving a post or if OP has already resolved their issue but I found something else that may be helpful. I had issues with CoD MW(2019) where computer black screens and computer becomes unresponsive so I have to force shutdown by holding power button and starting PC again. I looked up the Asus Dual Rx 5700 EVO support page and saw there was a Bios update version 01/22/2020 that provides "improves stability." I bought my Asus Dual Rx 5700 EVO right when it came out so it had a previous Bios version. I updated it with the manufacturers Bios update winflash tool and now no more black screens so far.

Disclaimer: flashing bios is potentially risky and could brick your gpu. Do so at your own risk.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RX5700-O8G-EVO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

0 Likes