cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

osdevon
Adept II

RX 5700 Constant BSOD + other issues

Since I put together my new build about a week ago, I have had nothing but problems.

My setup includes the reference Sapphire RX 5700, a R5 3600, and the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite.

My monitor is a LG 32QK500-W.

This is on a fresh installation of Windows 10 Home, with all available BIOS and Firmware updates installed.

First, with 19.7.5 I was running into consistent Video TDR Failure BSODs citing Atikmpag.sys, and the occasional Page Fault.

In addition to the crashes, WattMan has been completely unavailable, with all options and the graph being completely blank.

When I wasn't crashing, most of my browser use was completely unstable, with images, sound, and video consistently stalling and disappearing, and my Windows notifications being filled with "Firefox has been blocked from accessing the GPU".

I then discovered that disabling Enhanced Sync caused all video streams, whether YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc in 1080 or above causing the GPU video decoding to spike to 100%, dragging the entire system down to a crawl until lowered in quality or closed.

Update to 19.8.1 the other afternoon, along with yet another fresh installation of Windows 10, and in the short time before fiddling with some other settings, I encountered only 1 TDR Failure crash, when logging back in from sleep mode.

After some time, I read in the forums that LG monitor owners running at 75hz have been running into some issues matching mine, and so to see how it would affect me, I lowered to 60hz.

With that, I no longer run into TDR failures, or maxed video decoding with enhanced sync disabled. In addition, WattMan appears to be fully operable, and I have even been able to make use of the Auto (X) options with some improvement!
Unfortunately, I am now running into more, different BSODs.

The most common seems to be the Page Fault in Non Paged Area, with Kernel Security Failure following in consistency. There is also a third that has only happened twice, and I can't remember just what it was.

In-game performance tends to be fantastic at best, and at worst running at one fourth of what it should be for no apparent reason. Sometimes just rebooting seems to fix this issue temporarily.

I have run extensive 3DMark benches, and get wildly varying results each time.

TL;DR, are these Drivers just terrible, or is it time for a RMA?

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

The issue described in the OP should be resolved by updating to the latest driver here > https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-... 

View solution in original post

171 Replies
brunoalves20015
Adept III

With my GTX 1070, you can normally use my 3200MHz RAM, already with RX5700XT, need to Disable or Ram Profile XMP, so it will be back to 2400Mhz, and you can use it with a limit of Frequency applicable to my Ryzen 7 1700x processor, ie I am leaving my Ram with 2666Mhz. With that, it's been 5 days that no longer get any KERNEL POWER or BSODS. Disabling the XMP profile in your motherboard BIOS as this may resolve the issue from time to time.

0 Likes

So basically, it was system ram stability.

0 Likes
brunoalves20015
Adept III

With my GTX 1070, you can normally use my 3200MHz RAM, already with RX5700XT, need to Disable or Ram Profile XMP, so it will be back to 2400Mhz, and you can use it with a limit of Frequency applicable to my Ryzen 7 1700x processor, ie I am leaving my Ram with 2666Mhz. With that, it's been 5 days that no longer get any KERNEL POWER or BSODS. Disabling the XMP profile in your motherboard BIOS as this may resolve the issue from time to time.

0 Likes

RAM is often problematic  with Ryzen 1000 series. 3200MHz is actually an overclock and often results in that problem. 

You may check for a motherboard bios update, as updates have been released that  might help. But, it's not guaranteed. 

0 Likes

Indeed. 

I said early on in this problems lifetime that tweaking memory properly will likely eliminate the BSOD that isn't related to YouTube or Discord.... but that cant be an issue   Just because it boots with XMP profile loaded, doesn't mean its stable. Unstable memory can still boot. Just disabling XMP isnt the real answer either. If you have a Ryzen CPU, get the Ryzen timings calculator and use it to set your sub-times. You can even get it faster doing so. Actually do this, and Actually mem test it for as long as you're supposed to with 0 errors and there should be no issue. 1st gen ryzen is notoriously iffy with 3200mhz, barely being able to get the Samsung B-die timings with 2 sticks. 4 sticks it was close to impossible to get XMP timings. Even if it posts with it, it could be bad. One might have to settle for somewhat slower speed or looser timings. On my 1800x back in the day, I had to settle for looser timings for using 4 sticks.

0 Likes

Hello everyone, everything good ?

Black screens and crashes came back after a few happy days, unfortunately when playing PUBG or sometimes browsing OPERA GX or Google Chrome the mouse starts to crash, and in games the performance is spectacular, but unexpectedly the black screens and computer crashes simply out of nowhere.

Yesterday I did the test removing the rx 5700 xt thicc ii and installing my brother's GTX 1080TI, after changing GPU I formatted the computer and did all the windows installation and updates.
SUMMARY:
All day testing in games and benchmark and no blue screen, crash or black screen.

Ok, Today I switched to my GPU (Rx 5700 XT), formatted the computer one more time and did all the updates, and to my surprise came back the black screens and crashes.
AMD I am completely sad and regretting purchasing the rx 5700 xt thicc ii

dirthurt
Adept III

So, my plot further thickened and I found a new, final issue.

Basically, everything was run fine (maybe 1 crash per week) but Amazon just wouldn't send me my free games and such, so I returned it.

Picked up the Red Dragon RX 5700 for a couple bucks cheaper and got my games from Newegg...but it kept crashing, stuttering and became impossible to use. 

No way I had another bad card. 

Ended up replacing my motherboard (Gigabyte GA AB 350 Gaming 3) out of desperation to an X570, no issues at all. Performance even improved, fans run quieter, temps are lower. Board didn't like the combination. 

Seems there are some compatibility issues out there. 

Ryzen 3600 on the board, ran fine. RX 5700 on the board, ran fine. Combining them resulted in instability no matter what I tried. Even tried beta bios from Gigabyte with no change. 

So, maybe consider the motherboard if you're completely out of ideas. 

brunoalves20015
Adept III

Hello, I am doing some tests and the 2 days I am using my computer without any blue or black screen.
I formatted my computer in 2 days and installed all drivers displayed by the Gigabyte Ax370 Gaming Rev 1.1 motherboard.
Windows 10 update 1903 -
And apparently it is stable and smooth with blue or black screen.
Did the problem occur in Windows 10 update 1903?

My use is as follows:
-Playing Steam PUBG
-LiveStream Online using Twitch using OBS with obs-amd-encoder-2.6.0.0.
-I'm not using the secondary monitor to view the chat, ie only 1 monitor connected, and previously used 2 monitors and having problems, so I decided to change all the format I was using.

The first time it appears on the blue or black screen, I will come back here and let you know how long it will take to happen and if I did before it came up again or problem.

*********************************************************************************

*********************************************************************************

Olá, estou fazendo alguns testes, e a 2 dias estou utilizando meu computador sem nenhuma tela azul ou preta.
eu formatei meu computador a 2 dias e instalei todos os drivers atualizados da placa mãe Gigabyte Ax370 Gaming Rev 1.1.
Não realizei o Update 1903 do windows 10 - 
E aparentemente está estável e sem problemas com tela azul ou preta.
Será que o problema era na atualização 1903 do Windows 10?

Meu uso está sendo da seguinte forma:
-Jogando PUBG Steam
-LiveStream Online na Twitch utilizando o OBS com o obs-amd-encoder-2.6.0.0. 
-E não estou utilizando monitor secundário para visualizar o chat, ou seja somente 1 monitor conectado, e anteriormente eu utilizava 2 monitores e acontecia os problemas, então resolvi mudar toda a forma que eu estava utilizando.

Na primeira vez que aparecer a tela azul ou preta eu irei voltar aqui e informar quanto tempo demorou para acontecer e o que eu havia feito antes de surgir novamente o problema.

0 Likes
brunoalves20015
Adept III

Hello, So far I have not got any blue screen or black screen. I didn't update windows after installation, the only installations of windows updates i'll leave in printscreen. I didn't use 2 monitors again, I'm only using 1 since I formatted the computer.

There is no way to know why I didn't get blue or black screens anymore. It may be due to not updating windows or just using 1 monitor. I also disabled windows quick launch.

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_3.png

wattman.pngUPDATE.png

0 Likes

Multi-monitor is an issue on its own with drivers with all radeon Gpu. with 2 monitors active, memory clocks will be maxed out. some experience this with one monitor at certain refresh rates (not me), but all with 2 or more are effected.

It's a known issue in the driver patch notes

0 Likes
osdevon
Adept II

Happy Halloween! The crashes still happen! SPOOOOKY

0 Likes

Happy Halloween to u aswell, still no crashes or anything here

0 Likes