cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

osdevon
Adept II

RX 5700 Constant BSOD + other issues

Since I put together my new build about a week ago, I have had nothing but problems.

My setup includes the reference Sapphire RX 5700, a R5 3600, and the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite.

My monitor is a LG 32QK500-W.

This is on a fresh installation of Windows 10 Home, with all available BIOS and Firmware updates installed.

First, with 19.7.5 I was running into consistent Video TDR Failure BSODs citing Atikmpag.sys, and the occasional Page Fault.

In addition to the crashes, WattMan has been completely unavailable, with all options and the graph being completely blank.

When I wasn't crashing, most of my browser use was completely unstable, with images, sound, and video consistently stalling and disappearing, and my Windows notifications being filled with "Firefox has been blocked from accessing the GPU".

I then discovered that disabling Enhanced Sync caused all video streams, whether YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc in 1080 or above causing the GPU video decoding to spike to 100%, dragging the entire system down to a crawl until lowered in quality or closed.

Update to 19.8.1 the other afternoon, along with yet another fresh installation of Windows 10, and in the short time before fiddling with some other settings, I encountered only 1 TDR Failure crash, when logging back in from sleep mode.

After some time, I read in the forums that LG monitor owners running at 75hz have been running into some issues matching mine, and so to see how it would affect me, I lowered to 60hz.

With that, I no longer run into TDR failures, or maxed video decoding with enhanced sync disabled. In addition, WattMan appears to be fully operable, and I have even been able to make use of the Auto (X) options with some improvement!
Unfortunately, I am now running into more, different BSODs.

The most common seems to be the Page Fault in Non Paged Area, with Kernel Security Failure following in consistency. There is also a third that has only happened twice, and I can't remember just what it was.

In-game performance tends to be fantastic at best, and at worst running at one fourth of what it should be for no apparent reason. Sometimes just rebooting seems to fix this issue temporarily.

I have run extensive 3DMark benches, and get wildly varying results each time.

TL;DR, are these Drivers just terrible, or is it time for a RMA?

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

The issue described in the OP should be resolved by updating to the latest driver here > https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-... 

View solution in original post

171 Replies

If you changed out your RAM and your problem went away I'm sure you're fine. Not every card is going to be bad. Most of them are 100% perfect, but being a new product on a new process off of a new architecture, we're going to see a few duds. I wouldn't let it make you nervous. It's normal product launch stuff. 

0 Likes
brunoalves20015
Adept III

dirthurt‌ Thanks!

0 Likes
ubaied93
Adept II

Guys. Try DDU the amd driver in safe mode, restart and reinstall back the latest driver BUT

1. CHOOSE CUSTOM INSTALLATION

2. DO NOT INSTALL RADEON SETTING

So far my experience with this method works fine, no black screen, no bsod, no auto restart. The only drawbacks, you cant set anything amd related because we dint install the software in the first place, we only install driver. Ive also oc the card with msi afterburner and turn on monitoring like people say better avoid, also works fine so far. Try give it a go.

dirthurt
Adept III

Day 3 with the new card. No crashes, blue screens or stutters on the latest drivers. Updated to the new  optional drivers, still no issues. 

I updated to 19.9.1 3 days before too and i am pretty stable after some "steps", updating to 19.9.2 now to have more headaches

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Looks like 19.9.2 fixing the HW accelerated Web browsing BSOD and enhanced sync crashes.

After installing 19.9.2 ALL the system stutterings vanished.

Now I think the next major think to work on is the lack of memory idling for certain setups. yes...

0 Likes
ubaied93
Adept II

**INSTALLED 19.9.2**

Hmm. still had issue with mine. Was just sitting at desktop about to go for shower  then boom infront of me, black screen, system hang. ran DDU in safe mode and reinstall the driver full. Will report back if anything happen again. Not sure now if its really driver.  Been having this since the first optional driver when 5700xt released. I really want to blame other hardware, but sadlly, my cpu r5 3600, psu,  asus x570 mobo, all brand new. And ram + storages also quiet new just 2 months old. Monitor? not sure. maybe?

Worse come to worse had to send back to where i bought for RMA,  wait 1 month and see how it goes. Sapphire pretty rare in Malaysia. If new unit also having same issue, im afraid i had to jump ship to RTX :/ 

I  also did ask some neighbour  sellers around my workplace, they all says the same thing. Sapphire referrence unit is the most problematic one. 1 store send back rma like 7 unit in total. all same issue.

0 Likes

ubaied93 wrote:

**INSTALLED 19.9.2**

I'm testing myself, 19.9.2, will be reporting back. Uptime, 1 hour.

0 Likes
deptec
Adept II

I updated from 19.7.5 to 19.9.2 this morning and played borderlands 3 for 5hours without any problems and watched yt. I havent updated my bios at any time or the chipset, only played with fan speed, so it wont get so hot.

Ever since i got the card, i have been having some random Black screens once or twice a day, but it goes back to normal after 1-2sec.

osdevon
Adept II

Well, while I've stopped getting most, it not all, of the particular problems I was running into before - I don't know whether to chalk it up to updates, or workarounds. I'm on 19.9.2 now (installed cleanly now), and I decided to turn HW Accel back on in Firefox to see what's different.. Got two BSODs in one night, both for "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" (That's a new one).

Turning it back off has so far helped again, but at the very least performance seems to not be as negatively impacted as it was before. As well, enhanced sync appears to finally be working as intended again! So there's that, but not being able to browse the web or anything with HW acceleration on is still such a very silly thing, and I hope that's fixed soon.

0 Likes

Have you reported the new problem, with Mini dumps to AMD?

Annotation 2019-09-13 222120.png

So far, encoding and decoding with Cyberlink, no BSOD's atm with 19.9.2.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Been playing with 19.9.2 for a bit now with HW accel re-enabled in chrome and Enhanced Sync re-enabled and havent had a single BSOD or system/game crash. I'd say its good to go. Just need the elevated memory clock speed with multi-monitor setups fixed

Yes, it still needs more polish. I just had a system crash yesterday while playing Ark as soon I enabled fan control.

enabled fan control? in msi afterburner i assume?

0 Likes

just use the fan control in Wattsman  thats what i do 

0 Likes

thats what any sane AMD GPU user would do. editing amd gpu settings with afterburner has been a huge no-go since wattman was introduced.

0 Likes

Yeah, just caution, don't manage fan control in wattman while playing a 3D game. :-P

0 Likes

Never done that before myself. Always set it ahead of time. I will try it out.

No, in Wattman. My GPU was running at 80C, to hot for my taste, and the moment I went from automatic to manual. Display Crashed!

0 Likes
ubaied93
Adept II

I only got the gpu to work IF I DID NOT install Radeon Setting. If I install it, still having BSOD and black screen..

ktersius
Adept I

I'd comment but for some reason my posts are staying in "Currently being moderated." For days.

I feel your pain. If you google 5700 XT BSOD you get dozens of pages with people describing the same problem. I have spent days trying to get my system stable and yesterday I took my whole pc to the shop I bought the components from and asked them to have a look. I did not have any other components to swap things out with so it makes it impossible to confirm software vs hardware issue and I suspect thousands of people are in the same boat.

The problem is it can be so many things. I've got a 3000 series CPU and X570 board and there are probably thousands of permutations if you look at all the things people have tried. Another thing that is disheartening is that we are being told do STOP using the GPU by disabling all the features and HW acceleration which to me seems kind of pointless to have it in the first place then.

I've gone on YT and searched for these BSODs and yes there is just one video I found where a user mentions things so it is creating a false sense of stability.

0 Likes
ubaied93
Adept II

cant be bothered anymore...il send mine maybe tomorrow or another 2 days for rma..drives me nuts. Just a normal LoL games and not OC'ing at all. see my stock MHZ . 2400 LOL

0 Likes
ubaied93
Adept II

Hi again guys, I was planning to send my sapphire Ref RX 5700XT for RMA maybe tomorrow, but out of curiousity, i bring the gpu to my workplace. I borrowed my dept testing PC just for fun. The spec is
cpu : i5 8500
mobo : asus prime h310m-d
ram : kingston value 2666mhz 4gb
psu : corsair vs550w
ssd : 120gb kingston a400
hdd : external 2tb drive of my game
monitor : new unbox for testing, provided by my DIY dept. acer ed273a 144hz freesync running @ 144hz + freesync on + image sharpening

and my current rig is
cpu : R5 3600 (new) (also having issue when using 2600 )
mobo : ASUS TUF WIFI X570 (new) (also having issue when using b450i itx msi)
ram : 32gb Kingston Hyper X Fury 16x2 ( almost 1 year old, suspected cuplrit, maybe not compatible with mobo, but does appear on QVL list)
psu : silverstone 80+ platinum SFX-L 700w (new)
ssd : 120gb nvme adata xpg gamixx s10 (could be the culprit, the only thing havent change in 3 year)
game drive : 2TB Seagate SSHD firecuda (1 year old)
monitor : my own acer ed273a 144hz freesync running @ 144hz + freesync on + image sharpening

guess what? after few game test runs, No bsod or any bluescreen at all. On the intel system, i could even install full express method of radeon setting which i must skip on my own rig to get it working. Majority says it could be driver issue. Been using driver 19.7.5 till 19.9.2 still had issues unless i did not install radeon setting on my own rig. So WHATS THE ISSUE actually??

0 Likes

The sad part, you going to have to test each hardware till you get no BSOD. . FYI, I get no BSOD on 19.7.3 and 19.9.2. BTW, when BSOD happens, it might be a good idea to debug minidump with Windebug. I would start with memory, do a passmark memtest before going to work, then when you get home, go to sleep and hopefully it's done by the next day? There's no magic bullet.

0 Likes
bonkic
Journeyman III

to all ryzen users: 

firstly i got almost exact the same problems as many of you with my 5700 (non-xt), no matter what driver version i chose. constant crashes etc. but to my own surprise the graphics card wasn't the one to blame!

activating amd-v (cpu virtualization) in the bios settings solved all of my problems...at least until now. 

hope this helps for you too!

on or off ? but it is for virtual machines. will test it later

0 Likes

How do u find that?

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

Little curious as to how this is supposed to help?

0 Likes

I tried it and it just made my system crash faster...

0 Likes
brunoalves20015
Adept III

I am using the 19.9.2 driver and it is no longer displaying blue screens, but RadeonSettings (radeon software) is resetting as settings, it is running multiple times and is also causing these problems in games. I am requesting the RMA from my card, and it only has 30 days, unfortunately was not satisfied with this plethora of problems and instability. If you use EVGA GTX 1070 and you never get these problems, unfortunately AMD no longer wanted to solve these problems quickly and efficiently.

My Games With Crash:

-PUBG

-BF 5

-COD MW BETA 2019

- OPERA(Youtube,etc...)

AMD_causando problemas.png

0 Likes
ubaied93
Adept II

at this rate I even wonders if AMD even notice our problems...let alone read here. Reviewers and youtubers never had this kind of issue either or keep their mouth shut

Once in awhile, yes, AMD staff do pass on reports to proper departments. Nevetheless, the proper way is AMD Issue Reporting Form 

0 Likes

Assume that most of us have already reported the issues to the proper channels.

I know for a fact that I have.

0 Likes

Make sure to re-report it for every new driver that comes out that does not fix or acknowledge the issue as known. 

0 Likes

AGREED! All the reviewers on youtube never mention of this BSOD/hang at all! I think AMD made an agreement with them to not talk about of these issues.

There are 2 AMD mods for regular graphics here and 1 pro guy that I know of. I have never seen anyone here from driver development. In the forum headers it explains the intent of these forums as USER TO USER help only. The AMD mods getting involved from my observation is like a 1 in 100 kind of thing. So no more than likely what you say here has zero impact with AMD and I do think that is a shame as their competition is very involved in their forum. Logic would dictate that a support forum hosted by the manufacturer would offer support from said manufacturer and it does clearly say this in the headers if someone clicks and reads them, again that isn't something most people IMHO would do.

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

I reported. Who knows if they're listening though...? Seems like it's been an issue for months. 

0 Likes

I thought you got new gpu and says it fine? Anyway. When i tried on intel system it works fine. So my hunches now it is probably something to do with ryzen 3000 or x570.