Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

shinkojiro
Miniboss

Re: RX 5700 Constant BSOD + other issues

Jump to solution

A theory on why BSOD with 5700xt is so prevelant. One thing I notice missing from wattman that was present with Vega 56, 64, Radeon VII, and practically every other AMD GPU: Memory Voltage. From the looks of it, looking at HWinfo, Memory voltage is locked to 850mv. Idk GDDR6 spec, but I would like to be able to increase that a bit to see if the BSOD go away.

Why the auto-moderation lately?

0 Likes
turizmo
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I have found a solution for game crashes that i have not seen posted before. With stock settings on my card i got crashes all the time, i was lucky if i could even finish one game of apex legends. Simply by under-clocking the card, i got it stable and have been playing a few days without issues.

Underclocking is as easy as going into wattman and Setting Frequency/Voltage to Manual and typing in the max boost speed in the lower right corner. 1950Mhz seem stable in most applications for me. It seems like the overclock stability is very application dependent. It seems like the stock auto-overclocking(~2050MHz) on the card is a little to aggressive for some applications and causes crashes.

If you want to tinker a bit, you can set application specific overclocks in wattman. So only applications with issues are underclocked. The under-clock i set for apex legends seems to reduce performance by about 5%, but at least its playable.

Hopefully this will make the card usable for you until amd can get their drivers sorted.

Underclocking RX5700XT.PNG

0 Likes
bugzbunny
Adept III

Jump to solution

Can someone confirm if this fixes it for anyone else?

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Jump to solution

I personally have not been having any game crashes so long as the culprit Enhanced Sync is turned off. Main problem is BSOD's with hardware acceleration in Chrome, which I have mitigated by turning off HW accel for now.

0 Likes
bugzbunny
Adept III

Jump to solution

I don't know about you, you get so excited, plug in your RX 5700. Play a video game and see how butter smooth it is, bam, displays turns off. Or BSOD. How disheartening and maddening it is.

Anyway, I DDU to older 19.7.3, as some users reported problems with 19.8.2 and newer. I'll test that first, then lose 5% of performance by downclocking. All the articles I've read, avoid doing that, avoid doing this, don't do that, don't do this. Why have a rig like this to begin with if I can't do whatever I want with it. In fact, I move it to different PCI-E slot, still same issues. Sigh.

I'm even considering switching GPU's in out when I want to do things on my computer because at this state, it's unstable at idle, one GPU to do work and one GPU to play video games.

P.S. HW acccel was already off in Chrome including Enhanced Sync. Instead of BSOD this time, the display crash (Power off)

phlogios
Adept II

Jump to solution

All of you who say you fixed your crashes, have you tried running ArmA 3 or PUBG? They both instantly give me BSODs. No fix on this forum has helped for me.

pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Anyone that has this issue needs to report it to AMD. https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

They don't see your issues in the USER TO USER forums.

0 Likes
bugzbunny
Adept III

Jump to solution

I was told to test it on known good system that I don't have, take it to service center, or RMA. I've already started the RMA processes.

pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Can't blame you . I messed with my RX 580 for a bit over a year before giving up and moving to another card and it didn't have near the issues being reported on the new Navi cards. Zero issues since doing that. I still have 4 older AMD cards running older drivers and they work great. The RX 580 is currently collecting dust.

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

Jump to solution

AMD also asked me to test in another known system. I'm assuming they too think it's a bad card. 7nm is pretty new so issues are expected. Returning mine for another. 

0 Likes