cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Lethal_Weapon
Journeyman III

RX 570 8GB heating in games over 80 degrees celsius. Is it ok?

My configuration is
I5-10600k
HIS Radeon RX 570 8GB
B560M PRO-VDH

2666Mhz 16GB Memory 

In some games like Metro Exodus on high presets graphics Full HD 60p temperature rising over 80 to 85 degrees celsius.
Is this okay? Just not long time ago the thermopaste were changed. In AMD Adrenalin i put base clock 1168Mhz instead 1264Mhz boost clock. Card is clean, no dust.
On some oldest games like Dirt 3 the temperature is ok, about 60-70 degrees celsius.

0 Likes
7 Replies

I don't know how reliable this Blog site is that shows the Maximum Operating Temperatures of various hardware but here is what is says about the RX570 GPU Card:

Screenshot 2022-06-06 102334.png

you can try and google those temperature for the RX570 and see if you can verify it to be true.

hitbm47
Forerunner

Hey @Lethal_Weapon 

For long-term it is not okay. The temperatures @elstaci posted are correct, when the thermal application of the thermal paste is not neatly spread out it will even start throttling at 82C/83C, otherwise it will thermal throttle at 90C which is the default safety measurement.

How neatly did you apply the thermal paste? I suggest spreading it out over neatly with the included shovel and not using the line or dot methods, since you are working directly with the GPU die, and the heat-sink has to be lowered perfectly without smudging. Furthermore, more important than this is that I suggest you get a computer chassis similar to a CoolerMaster MB511 ARGB, this helped greatly in keeping my GPU temps under 80C at full load whilst my clocks on my RX 480 is running at the 1303Mhz since it is the MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G.

In addition, the season you are currently in will also influence temperatures, but these Polaris cards want constant strong airflow (whereas my GTX 1060 3GB can cool itself down), you can't be using a chassis with HDD's in-front of the intake fans, this was the design of my previous Corsair case. Not using Corsair again, because I had a H100i V2 die on me recently and their 220T case from ~2016 almost killed my RX 480.

Try to improve your airflow to get your temperatures under 81C, simply lowering clock-speed won't help because you will need to lower the voltages until your lower clock-speed is stable to actually decrease the temperature. Therefore, I suggest first improving your airflow.

Kind regards

jamesc359
Forerunner

There's lots of things that can factor in here. Such as Fan RPM, cooler size (single fan, dual or triple or maybe a blower style fan), case airflow and your thermal paste application and the ambient temperature.

Generally speaking though, assuming there's nothing overly wrong with the thermal paste application and you have sufficient airflow it's likely getting that hot because it can. That's not a great explanation is it...  Hardware manufacturers favor low acoustics over temperatures, so long as the card is operating within specs the fans won't rev up.

In AMD's Adrenalin drivers you can change this by going to  Performance > Tuning tab. Turning Manual Tuning to Custom and then turning on Fan Tuning and finally enabling Advanced Control. Obviously you do so at your own risk. I adjusted the curve so my fans max out at 80C. It'll never maxes out though because the fan will gently ramp up as the temps increase and it will usually find a nice happy place to sit long before the acoustics get annoying.

Edit: I usually see mid to high 60s with a 1,500-1,800 RPM. YMMV

Chester1994
Challenger

"Card is clean, no dust."

Also put some high quality thermal paste just to be sure.

Custom fan curves will always protect your GPU better than the default ones. Make it run under 75° Celcius if you can.

Lethal_Weapon
Journeyman III

Well, if anybody is interested, how i solved the problem - first of all i reduced Core Clock from 1264Mhz(boost) to 1168Mhz(base). Then i undervolt core voltage from 1150mV(base) to 950Mv. So, it's lower the temperature in games to around 65-70 degrees. 

P.S.: of corse i mean middle-high presets, not ultra, especially in AAA games like Metro Exodus or Cyberpunk 2077.

@Lethal_Weapon, I am glad if you find a solution.

For me it was buying a case with three front intake fans; although I did not want to lose the DVD-ROM; and now I can still use the MSI Gaming 1303Mhz clockspeed. These polaris cards definitely want a strong stream of air flowing through them, they cannot cool themselves down properly, especially when summer hits.

I struggled a lot with my RX 480 temps, but for me it was worth it to get the CM MB511 Case, I even have a 3GB Refurbished GTX 1060 in the secondary slot, but the airflow is so good that the RX 480 stays below 78C under 3DMark load. Personally, I don't test with OCCT though, because AMD definitely made changes to the RX 480 drivers in the last two-three years which causes serious power-draw and heat when hitting above 100W, and this computer chassis definitely makes me more comfortable in using my RX 480.

Kuruno
Journeyman III

Maybe you can try open one side of your desktop case to see the different. I got around 50-65 C that way.

If close , i will hit the same result as your pc. Introducing some pc fan at side of the gpu would be better, for me its reduce the temp to 2-3 degree less. It will introduce dust , but at least the you got more airflow than before.

If you are using paper case or wood , this also give the same temperature. I also realize this after i replace my case with what i got from junk store around 4$.

0 Likes