Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mrapplebe
Adept I

RX 5600XT BSOD video failure tdr

Hello Everybody,

Since the beginning of owning this card I have nothing but problems with it.
Ik keep getting this bsod: video tdr failure atikmpag.sys. Bluescreenview report that 'dxgkrnl.sys' causes this bsod.

It happens at random: sometimes after logging in, sometimes after couple hours, sometimes days
After some searching on the web, I found that the graphic drivers were the issue.
This is what I've tried already, but failed:
- ran windows memory controller overnight to test the ram;
- DDU the drivers and reinstall the chipset and graphic drivers;
- same as above, but installed the graphic drivers manually via device manager without the radeon software;

- tried the stable version 20.2.2 aswell as the 20.4.2 version
- disabled freesync on my monitors;
- reseated all cables on my pc;

- reapplied thermal past on cpu;

- disabled hardware acceleration on firefox;

- ran cinebench and heavenbenchmark for 30 minutes each with no issue

- probably something else, but forgot.

my system:
- amd ryzen 5 2600
- powercolor rx 5600xt red dragon (radeon 20.2.2 right now)

- asus b350 prime plus with the latest bios

- sharkoon sph 650w 80 plus psu
- trident z 16gb 3000mhz cl16

- xpg adata m.2 ssd
- seagate barracuda 2tb
- 4x bequiet fans

I ordered a new psu, but I doubt if that's the problem.
A couple months ago I had a gtx 1660 running just fine.

I attached the latest minidump below.
If I forgot something to mention, please let me know and I will get back to you asap.

thanx for the help in advance.

regards

ps: don't mind the temperature of the cpu in speccy. It does not display it right

24 Replies
jacobeads
Journeyman III

We are having the exact same issue with the same card. We updated it yesterday to the newest drivers. Its been crashing a lot more now

wester
Adept II

Me too, but instead of blue screens I have the green ones. 

I experienced less crashesd since I updated to the last drivers (in the beginning it was quite terrible) but still....

It's a matter of facts that the RX5600XT is a buggy card, I think it's a question of time till they fix all the issues and release the right drivers.

bassabiceps
Adept I

Same here, I have a Gigabyte RX 5600 XT and I've tried everything: 
Update motherboard bios,
brand new Windows installation,
Disable AMD software features
And nothing, blue or black screens and you need to restart the computer, it happens once a day at least.

I'm sure it is the videocard/driver instead of another pc component because I had a nvidia card before and absolutely no issues,
switched to AMD the this started:
índice.jpg

Same issue.  BSOD consistently after login a few minutes.  Had to fall back to driver 20.2.2, then stable.

Unfortunately after stable at 20.2.2 for couple of days.  After my machine rebooted, the same Bsod came back.  Amd, when are you going to fix the problem?  Planning to switch to Navida for good. 

xirombinha
Adept III

COME ONNNN AMD!!!

0 Likes
mrapplebe
Adept I

I just installed a new psu 730w 80plus bronze... I'll will test it a couple of days and will let you know if this fixed it.

xirombinha
Adept III

Have you ever try to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcj9l8HPR0M 

Edited: I used a youtube link here and I don't know if the moderation will allow me to keep that.. If not, try to search "

FIX VIDEO TDR FAILURE atikmpag.sys Blue Screen While Playing Videos Windows 10" on youtube.

0 Likes

I have changed back to my old card.  Planning to completely refresh my machine when Windows 10 May update release in couple of weeks time.  Will try again with the 5600XT card.

0 Likes

I did a clean install of Win 10 May update and with driver version 20.4.2 seems stable.  Interesting is with 20.2.2 my machine will fail to boot into login screen.  After POST process, it will show dark screen.

mrapplebe
Adept I

Ok guys,

After a lot of headaches, I think I found the issue.

The random crashes was from the STABLE graphic drivers. Just update to the new 20.4.2 drivers.
The game crashes was from an monitoringtool called argus monitor. which sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes it crashes every game...
Kinda sad because I have custom fan profiles for my fans and gpu fans.
And get a decent powersupply too! the new vbios is more performance and more powerdraw.

I hope your cards are also doing fine and crashfree lol.

0 Likes

First thing I guess anyone would try is to use the most recent drivers and that didn't work.

What kinda worked for me, and by that I mean almost one week without any crash, it'san automatically GPU undervolt option at the AMD Software as seen below(sorry it's in portuguese):

pastedImage_1.png

You guys try it out and comment on the results!

0 Likes
andrewsss
Adept II

Cards with BIOS F60 from the factory can not be updated to F1, F2, FA0. We must wait for the BIOS F61. Although it is not a fact that it will be. This was confirmed by Gigabyte support. This is probably the problem.

0 Likes
mrapplebe
Adept I

Actually never mind. I got 3 bsod's yesterday

0 Likes

If you flashed the VBIOS from F60 to FA0, this is the problem. Flash back the F60 and there will be no problems.

0 Likes

They released the new drivers just today. Since then I couldn't watch videos on YouTube for more than two minutes wothout BSOD (and god knows I tried it all to make it work), now with the new release I have YouTube running from two hours very smoothly and sunrfing the net with Chrome with hardware acceleration ON. Did they make it?

Two days ago I bought a brand new RTX2060S, amazing card but it heats up a lot more than the 5600XT and it has an higher power consumption. If they've definitely solved all the issues with the 5600 I think I'll switch back again with it.

For the record, I have the F1 bios.

I'l keep testing it in these days and let you know, let's cross our fingers! 

0 Likes

Which VBIOS are you using???

0 Likes

The F1 from Gigabyte, see image:

rad.jpg

0 Likes

Is it factory VBIOS of your card? If yes - then you need to flash it on F2.

0 Likes

I actually prefer to keep the factory one, I'll switch to F2 if I'll have further issues. So far it seems that everything goes smooth with the new drivers (for me at least).

By the way it seems that the F2 bios disappeared from the Gigabyte download page. It has been online for a week but now is not there anymore....

0 Likes

I see that F2 bios is there, but FA0 disappeared!

0 Likes

On the Gaming OC edition page the F2 is still present, on the Windforce OC edition (mine) is not there anymore (actually for the Winforce version there are no official bios to download).

If you want bios from Gigabyte you have to go to:

VGA Bios Collection: Gigabyte RX 5600 XT 6 GB | TechPowerUp 

0 Likes
wester
Adept II

Little update: I just ran Unigine Heaven for one hour with max overclock (1820/1860) without green screens or reboot.

0 Likes
wester
Adept II

Further update....

I kept having BSOD in the last week (same message, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys)). I thought I got through with the new drivers but they only partially solved the issue. Of course I have much less blue screens since the day I bought the card in March but at last I decided not to live with the fear of sudden restarts.

I bought another card and now everything is perfect. Sorry to say that....

My (ex) card: Gigabyte OC Windforce RX5600XT

0 Likes