cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

locust0311
Journeyman III

RX 5600 XT crashing in games at 4K

At the outset, I realize the 5600 isn't a great 4K card but I'm also not playing games that push the envelop a ton (Civ 6, Cities Skylines and that type). Plus I know for sure some games were working at 4K and aren't working now all of a sudden (Project Cars 2 for one).

That said, I'm finding that when I try to run most games at 4K my system is hard crashing and rebooting. Some I can get into the main menu and they crash when I try to then start the game (Cities, Project Cars), others just crash outright (Blood Rage digital). However, for those that can lower the resolution on, if I play them at 1080p they seem to work fine. For those like Blood Rage Digital, if I reset my screen resolution before entering the game they then work. This issue seems to be exclusively with games too, I've had no issues whatsoever in Windows running at the native resolution.

Radeon drivers are up to date, in fact I've tried wiping the drivers and reinstalling almost every version since RX 5600 XT support was added to no avail. Windows 10 is up to date. I've tried with scaling turned off and with HDR mode both on and off. I've monitored temperatures as well and don't see anything out of the ordinary there either.

Rest of the machine:

Ryzen 9 3900x

64 GB RAM (DDR4-3600)

Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus Wi-Fi motherboard (running most recent BIOS)

MSI Mech OC RX 5600 XT (w/ VBIOS update to 14Gbps)

Monitor is a TCL 43s425 4K TV connected via a brand new HDMI 2.1 cable (it does not have a display port connection)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies
weeboll
Journeyman III

i also have this problem and its with the same graphics card

MSI Mech OC RX5600 XT with the bios flash to 14Gbps

rest of the spec is 

ryzen 5 3600x

16gb ddr4 3000

MSI B450 pro-m2 motherboard

monitor is a 34" 4k iiyama connected via displayport

Farcry 5 will play and then after five minutes or so result in a few flickers then a hard crash of the PC into reboot

plays fine at 1080p with ultra settings and 60fps

0 Likes
devilzzz
Adept II

I am at the point where I say the suggestion is to go Nvidia and you can go used with them so you don't give those money hungry people your business.  I don't have the same card as you both but I have had the experience of too many games not working and it seems AMD doesn't care to have people testing the drivers and making sure they work with the large library of games people have out there.  I see the mention of you guys having full AMD systems and I haven't gone that far yet and if they don't fix what is wrong with their drivers then they are getting no more of my money.

Yep ... no issues of running Windows at native resolution and watching content ... but when you get to gaming it is a mess.  I have had games play and then get kicked out after so much time but then others just smooth sailing.  The thing that really irks me is there is no AMD presence here.  Why are they not in touch with people through the message boards?  

RX 5700 XT and I am feeling really ripped off right now as it cost $670 or so Canadian.

Best of luck to you both with your issues.   As for me with having picked Sapphire I think they may be an only AMD card company and so I will be stuck with this expensive toy that does not want to do the job properly.  

0 Likes

I suspect it’s the game developers and the hardware manufacturers as much as anything.

Far cry is near three years old and so likely less supported re new hardware updates.

The 5600xt bios updates are likely on the boundary of hardware spec given the increase and maybe the maybe bios updated rushed out to compete

And then of course the hardware is all put together to a budget

So I’ll try a driver update first, then a support ticket on the game, then I’ll return the card to vendor if no luck..

I’d like to try a roll back of the VBIOS to 12Gbps to see if that solves it but I can’t seem to do that

Ian Boll

Sent from my phone, so please excuse the bad typing

0 Likes
locust0311
Journeyman III

I may have solved this issue, it looks like it was an PSU problem. I had an 8 year old 680w PSU which by all appearances was working just fine. However I watched a video from ASUS with someone talking about their upcoming RX 30 cards and he finished the video talking about how users may need new PSUs, even if they output enough power, because their voltage regulation may no longer be adequate. So I went out and bought a new 1000w PSU and so far no crashing at 4K while gaming.

Short version: If you're experiencing crashing at 4K and have an older PSU, try a new one with better voltage regulation.

0 Likes