Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

basileus1993
Journeyman III

RX 550 power measurement

Hi,

I have a PowerColor Red Dragon RX 550 4GB (sclk 1071 MHz and mclk 1500 MHz).

I am trying to measure the power consumption of the GPU while running a program under Ubuntu. From what I have understood the GPU consumption is given in the file /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info. The overclock options and the power is also available in /sys/class/drm/card0/device.

The main problem is the IDLE power consumption: I have seen usually something like 3-4 Watts. However, sometimes when I reboot the system I can read either 7-8 W or 21-22 W. Is it a common issue in these GPUs?

In the case of 3-4W for IDLE, I registered a peak of 30W running furMark under Windows 10. There is a power_cap of 35W that can be uplifted to 61W with MSI afterterburner, selecting the maximum frequency available I can consume up to 41.5W. Under ubuntu running glmark2 I can see a maximum of 18W (keeping the powercap at 35W). Is this normal?

0 Likes
1 Reply
alex221
Adept II

AMD's total board power rating for the Radeon RX 550 is 50W, and we measured worst-case gaming power consumption at 47W. Due to aggressive throttling, MSI's RX 550 Aero ITX 2GB does even better during our stress test (though not by much).

TbahcSVHDthsh48AftBgbW

0 Likes