cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nedakthered
Journeyman III

RX 480 Weird "flickering" graphical bug

Recently I started having some problems with my graphics. Things randomly pop in and out and applications flicker. For example I might be scrolling in chrome and i'll see my desktop shortcuts flicker through. Or My discord will get covered with black boxes until I somehow update the screen even just by clicking. I made a gif (2019-09-09 22-12-22 GIF | Gfycat ) that sort of demonstrates some of the issues I am having. The full screen flickers that you see are a result of OBS flickering while it is recording. My windows is up to date and I have tried reinstalling it. I have also used the AMD cleanup utility to uninstall all my old drivers and reinstall various different versions. I have tried different HDMI cables, BIOS updates, reseating my GPU, underclocking it, and everything else I could think of short of completely wiping my drives and clean installing Windows. Specs:

Ryzen 1500x

RX 480 4gb

Windows 10 home edition with the may update (1903 I believe)
16 GB DDR4 ram

MSI B350M Mobo

Most recent stable driver I was using was 19.8.1

The flickering does not happen when in safe mode/ without any AMD drivers installed

0 Likes
6 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Try your monitor with a different hertz value. Try one of the old drivers. The use of OBS can affect AMD graphics cards. Try not using software that affects the video card and is incompatible.

0 Likes

I've tried 6 different driver versions and shifted my monitor refresh rate around, although they are both plain old 60hz monitors. Also, I've recorded several things with OBS and never had an issue before, however, the problem isn't OBS specific, I just needed something to record with. The flicker is more or less constant.

0 Likes

But you are using multiple monitors. You didn't write this before. This may be the source of the problem. I am using the RX480, with a single monitor. I have no such problem.

0 Likes

True, I forgot to mention dual monitors, however I've been running on dual monitors for over a year and a half now with no issues.

0 Likes

Hi Nedakthered, 

Any luck resolving your issue?  

I am using two monitors and have had no issue for 3+ years.  This past week, with no hardware or software changes (display driver is from Aug 2020 -- version 27.20.1034.6), I am getting a flicker that is most pronounced when there is a lot of movement on the screen (videos are essentially unwatchable) but even typing can cause significant flicker.  When there is no movement on the screen, the flickering stops very quickly, though things sometimes have to "settle down" a bit.  

Both monitors act in unison -- when one is stable, the other is stable.  When one flickers, the other flickers.

Highlights of my system follow with additional details below.

- Intel i7-6700 @4GHz

- RX 480 4gb

- Driver version 27.20.1034.6

- Windows 10 home edition, build 10.0.19041

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you!

0 Likes
abicholas
Journeyman III

Same bug, fixed partially using amd cleanup utility and reinstalling driver "Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.2.1-Feb7", but the bug stills triggers when I try to watch netflix on Mozilla Firefox if I close it bug stops

I´m playing pubg with out problems, no overclock or undervolt

Windows 10 Enteprise 10.0.14393 compilation 14393

Asus motheboard Model M11BB
AMD A10-6700

0 Likes