Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

notpaulavery
Journeyman III

RX 480 - temperature (and high usage) issues

Hey guys,

recently I've been having some trouble with my GPU, an RX 480. I used to have performance issues, but I managed to iron those out, benchmarks are now where they're supposed to be: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23943724?

However, I've seem to have traded them in for issues in GPU temperature. I've compared the temperatures to those of other RX 480s paired with my CPU (i5 6500). Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, for example, is running at an average of about 70 °C (and that's after capping the framerate to 60 FPS, before which the temperature would reach up to 80°C). Either way, compared to similar setups, those temperatures are too high. Even when not under heavy load, like running Netflix or YouTube, the card reaches up to 45 °C, when before it barely moved beyond its idle temp of 33 °C. I've noticed that when the card gets up to 45 °C when watching a movie or YouTube video, the GPU usage stays at 100% permanently. Otherwise the temperature while watching a video will hover in the high 30s.

I've run DDU once to make sure it's not driver related. Should I run it again? I'm not even sure if this is a hardware or a software issue. Couldn't be the airflow, because there weren't any problems before, right? So yeah, I'm at a loss here, I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Specs, if needed:

MSI H170A PC MATE
Intel Core i5 6500 4x 3.20GHz
8GB MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X
16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
1000GB Seagate Desktop
250GB Samsung 750 Evo

0 Likes
6 Replies

80*C is perfectly fine on a graphics card under heavy gaming load, especially as the manufacturers set their fan speeds low for acoustical reasons. Also temperature is going to vary based on ambient temperatures, dust buildup, and case airflow. The component with the lowest temperature tolerance on a GPU is over 100*C, and your GPU will automatically throttle at 95*C.

0 Likes

Okay, thanks for the info. It's just weird because those temperatures used to be lower and then from one day to the next they go up like this. And the GPU usage staying at 100% permanently sometimes still seems off to me. Maybe Afterburner has a monitoring issue there.

0 Likes

Afterburner/RivaTuner have known conflicts with Crimson and later driver releases. Don't use them.

0 Likes

I wasn't aware of that. Do you have any recommendations for a monitoring tool that works fine with AMD GPUs?

0 Likes

AMD's own software integrated into Radeon Settings under Global Settings -> Performance Monitor

0 Likes
rekiotsu
Journeyman III

I have had at least partially the same problem with many newer AMD drivers. I am currently using driver package version 17.7.2, and that is the last AMD driver package that properly works for me. The problem being that the GPU usage goes to 100% with max clock speeds in youtube with Mozilla Firefox (which is already abnormal) and gets stuck there afterwards. Weirdly enough it happens just with Mozilla Firefox in youtube (haven't tested netflix), not with games or other video sites or video players in the pc itself. I just tested 18.2.2 and 18.2.1 driver versions, and it still happens, the same problem has been present in other driver versions too since 17.7.2 into which I had to downgrade again. The problem seems related to the drivers somehow, since there is no problem with 17.7.2, I repeat, no problem with 17.7.2 .

PC

- Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 motherboard

- Intel Core i5 4590

- GIGABYTE RX 480 G1 Gaming 8G

- 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600

- Corsair non-modular 650W VS-series powersuply

- Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Capture.PNG

This picture is just from desktop after just watching youtube video with 18.2.1 AMD drivers.

0 Likes